• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Kenyan Sand Boa

Myca

I picked up a little KSB at Repticon. I read that they require much less humidity than corns so I put her in a 10 gallon tank with a screen top. Top is clamped. Named her Lilly but I am rethinking "Pudge". The breeder suggested feeding one pinky every 4 days. She does well with them. She is going into shed now so I am not feeding.
There does not seem to be a nice KSB forum that I could find.
Anyone have any experience they would like to give me?
Oh, the breeder said to keep her warm end at 90 so that is where it is...she seems to be good with it. There is a couple of hides but she burrows.

Love sand boas. I keep smooth and rough scale. Very easy to take care of. Mine do very well in the same racks that my smaller corns are in. Great eaters including the occasional finger. Really not much to keeping them. Mine are in aspen with a very small water dish.
I feed mice that are on the smaller size.

My little cutie shed. My first incomplete shed. She has a large piece of shed stuck to the side of her face. Do I use the same technique that is used on corns? Thanks

I picked up a little KSB at Repticon. I read that they require much less humidity.

My little cutie shed. My first incomplete shed. She has a large piece of shed stuck to the side of her face. Do I use the same technique that is used on corns? Thanks

Yes .....

With certain species of reptiles we believe that just because they live in dryer areas of the world that they require low humidity when in fact these species take advantage of little micro climates. Ball pythons tend to live in borrows with higher humidity as do bearded dragons. Same for sand boas. Most live in the organic litter or sandy borrows which holds the humidity.
I provide the same humidity level as my other snakes with no ill effect and always have complete sheds from my sand boas.

I left her overnight, with her shed stuck on her face. When I retrieved her the next morning all set to put her on a moist towel, her shed was gone. She managed getting rid of it herself. So I waited another day and then fed her a pink. She is currently completely buried in her tank except her peeping little head. So cute. I may move her into the rack system with my corns.

You'll be amazed how fast they can strike!! I used to always swell up thanks to their dirty mouths wherever they bit me. My anery's mated this year but no babies :(

glad yours is doing well... :)

Oh that is encouraging. I take it they are frequent biters?
Should I fish her out with a hook when she gets bigger?

Probably :)
It's their natural instinct to strike when they sense or feel anything close or contact their body and they are fast at it !! Once out of their bin they are usually calm.

Back