• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

mean and abused?

Pattykoi

hey everyone! I'm a new snake owner and have two snakes. My first one is a baby ball python and she's totaly fine. My corn snake on the other hand is the meanest snake I've ever met. I would swear his lives ambition is to be a rattle snake! I got him from someone else and I think he had been abused at some point, Unfortunately he is one of those snakes that has been passed around for his general bad disposition. Please I kneed help and advice on what to do.

How old is he? Be persistent. Because he has gotten away with that behavior is probably why he is continuing to do it. So when he bites, still get him out. When he tail rattles, ignore it. He should calm down after awhile. It is just going to take time from all of the people that rewarded the bad behavior.

You are making sure not to have them in the same tank, correct?

The reason I ask, is for some reason down here in the states, many people feel it is alright to put corn snakes in with other species....

I will agree with Christen, continue to hold him/her, and the snake will learn you are not a threat.

One other thing, is he being fed inside his cage or out? If they are used to being fed inside their cage, some of them will get snappy/aggressive. If he's being fed inside his cage, try feeding him in a separate spot so he doesn't think of food every time the top opens.

I would add that you should try handling him with gloves until he mellows out. The cause and effect of him striking and you jerking your hand back could be a reinforcer. If gloves help you control the reflex to pull away he will learn that striking isn't an effective way to get out of being handled.

(I'm assuming that your reflex is to jerk away. I know mine sure is no matter how little the snake is)

When you go to pick him up use both hands and scoop under him. Do not hesitate or hold your hands in front of him as if he were a dog. Do you have a container like an oatmeal can or some other box to use as a hide? That way you pick the hide up and then slide him out into your hand. Once the snake is out drop the container and concentrate on handling time. I use a sour cream container with a hole cut into the lid for a snake hide and getting mine out is no problem. Do not feed in the tanks! I did it twice to save time and it took a few weeks to correct them of the snappies, so not worth it.

The first point to make is that the snake isn't "mean" - it's terrified. If you're right about its background, then it's learned (possibly over many years) that humans are dangerous and are going to hurt it. The rattling and striking are just natural responses to a situation where the snake thinks it's trying to avoid the "big pink monster". This behaviour (if such it is) will be very difficult to break through, but your main allies are time, patience and persistant gentle handling. Could take months or years - it might not ever calm down.

Try putting one of your worn but unwashed T-shirts in the tank with him. That will at least get him used to being around your smell (make sure it doesn't have any chemicals on it like deodorant, fabric refresher, cologne or perfume).

I'm a big fan of using gloves with biters. I have one that's never broken out of the habit, although that's because she thinks anything that moves in front of her is food, rather than the behaviour being a warning! The gloves make me less wary of picking her up and they make her much less inclined to strike (the heat and pheramones from my hands are blocked by the gloves, as well as them making a strike less of a shock).

hey everyone! thanks for all the advice, now for the replies.

First, no I dont house the snakes together but there tanks are beside each other. But the guy I got the corn from did house it with his ball python.

Second, he was feed inside his cage but once I got him I've been feeding him out of his cage in a shoe / boot box.

Third, I dont have gloves but him striking and bitting me doesn't bother me because I've been bitten so many times buy bigger and more dangerous snakes than a North American Corn snake.

Fourth, yes I have several hides for him, and I've been using a paper towel tube to lift him out when he's in it or cupping him from the bottom.

Fifth, I mean that he was always the aggressive type of personality before he was abused, and that his personality was the reason he was abused because the persons who owned him before didn't realize that the aggressiveness was his personality and "punished" him for "bad" behavior.

sorry bitsy, for the other subjestion thanks, and I hope you realize I wasn't trying to be snippy with the first part of your reply but it is a really sensitive subject with me because I was there when he was hatched and I look at him almost like a son.

Punishing a Corn Snake's just pointless cruelty. That owner must've been some piece of work. Thank goodness the poor thing's with a decent owner now.

Gloves aren't just for your benefit. As I said, they block your scent and the heat from your hands, making them appear less threatening to the snake.

Is it your Kingsnake that thinks everything is food bitsy?

Nope - it's one of my Normal Corns!

Nobody told my King he was supposed to be flighty - he's one of my most relaxed snakes and has no problems being handled. When I open the viv doors and put my hand in, he'll always come out and climb up my arm without me needing to fetch him. Wish he could train a couple of my Corns!

I have a corn that was terrified of me. She is just barely to the point where she will let me handle her without musking/biting and will eat with me watching. It has been over a year.
With patience, I'm sure your corn will come to relax, but it is going to take time. I would check in on your corn daily, talking to him and giving him good experiences being held. He will slowly learn that you aren't going to punish him or put him in with cage mates.

I hate it when people think they can punish a reptile and think it will understand and correct the behavior. Even mammals don't respond well to this attitude. Give him time, he may never be a cuddlebug, but he may make a complete turn around.

I do keep my corns in a separate room from the python. I don't know if that has anything to do with the corn snakes' attitudes or not. I feed the corns next to the python's tank in hopes that his appetite will spike when it is his turn to eat. Sometimes he still refuses his rat; such a drama queen.

Oh, because I'm uncomfortable holding my baby Cali King because he'll just bite me, and randomly. Seems like a feeding thing. She seems pretty laid back otherwise but she'll just get these spontaneous moments of excitement and start chewing me like I'm food and then let go. One time, she missed and then bit down on her own body and refused to let go. I had to pour Listerine on her snout to get her off of herself. Definitely the most bizarre incident I've had yet with one of my snakes.

I've been very fortunate to this point of not having any problems with my adult corns that I have.. they all are pretty relaxed and calm and very easy to handle. The babies that just hatched are another story though. It's been 2 weeks and a few of them of yet to calm down when held. They are so fligtly and jumpy and a couple of just flown right out of my hands and onto the carpet...luckily I've been able to catch them before getting away. I'm sure patience, time and just spending time holding yrs will help it eventually to calm down. I hope you have some luck with her/him.

Back