• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mite identification and remedy…

702marine

Could anyone give any examples of a snake with mites i.e. pics of what they look like on the snake and movement of them. Also what is the best way to treat the problem and prevent it from happening?

I don't have any photos of snake mites, but I bet you get a bunch of you google it. If your snake looks like it has pepper on it, you have mites. Treatment I've used before: olive oil on the snake (it smothers the mites). Prevention: quarantine new snakes and wash your hands between handling of different snakes, especially new ones.

There is also a bug killing shelf paper you can use in your snake room. Works well for escaped fruit flies too, if you have dart frogs. :D

The large adult mites are about half the size of a head of a pin. They are black and shiny and usually crawling on the snakes body. The eyes also attract mites. The water dish is a good place to find dead mites as the snake soaks more often to rid itself of mites. They look like black pepper grains floating around in the water. The snake may thrash its body around briefly as the mite bites.

Prevention is a better way to go instead trying to get rid of them after they occur. Try rinsing the snake off in warm soapy water to wash off as many mites as possible. Clean the cage or tub completely let dry, then spray the bottom of the cage or tub with "Provent-a-Mite" following the directions on the can. Add fresh bedding. This will kill any newly hatched mites as they crawl around for up to 30 days.

Every time you clean the snakes cage, give it a light spray. This way it is one problem you shouldn't have to worry about again.

Back