• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moist Hides?

chondrohead44

Hello,

I was thinking about using moist hides with sphagnium moss. (I hope I spelled it right!) I have never used moist hides before but I know several people on this forum do. Apart from sphagnium moss what is a good medium for a moist hide? Also what are the pros and cons of using moist hides? Thanks in advance! :)

Jacob

i use them when my animals are in shed. thats the only time i really ever use them though just to help them shed better. i dont think i see much advantages of having them all the time besides just keeping a nice humid spot for your animal so it can go to it if it feels good to them. but im no expert so there might be something i dont know about it.

I agree. When your snake is shedding they may be of value. I noticed the snakes you list in your signature are not high humidity snakes. I don’t think I would use one on an ongoing basis. You will have bacteria and fungus growing in there. Too much moisture will cause skin problems for the snake.

Thanks guys! Whenever my snakes are shedding I mist and have never had any problem with shedding except once in a while. If they do I soak them for an hour and manually remove the shed.

how often should I mist the tank for a 4 month old corn? Also is 30-32 degrees celcius (85-90 farenheit)ok? The thermometer I have is a adhesive strip approx 1.5 inches above substrate-we use a white light and a heating pad on outside of tank-Isabella spends alot of time out of the hide, is that normal?

I’d aim more for 28 to 30 degrees for the temperature. The stick on type thermometer you describe is not very accurate for snakes. What you are really measuring is the temperature of the glass. A thermometer with a probe that you can put into the substrate would be much better for measuring the temperature of the snake’s environment.

You could probably do without the light and use only the heating pad. Have the pad at one end of the tank so that would be the hot end and the other end cooler. Then the snake can move to where he feels most comfortable.

Some snakes hide more than others. It is not a problem one way or another. You might try moving the hide and see if the snake likes it better at a different temperature. Or try different kinds of hides.

I keep hides in my hatchlings tanks since I'm not sure that I will catch them when they are blue or pink. I dampen them while they are in their feeding tubs. I keep an eye out for fungus, but haven't had a problem with it. Gunn only tends to use his just before shedding. The other two are too new to see a pattern yet. The others I don't use them in, IL is humid enough that I didn't think it was necessary and (knocking on wood) I've not had any problems come shedding time with the others.

Back