• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

mouse buying horror.....

Steve'sMom

I have to vent about this....and I hope it's not too :-offtopic for this room, but I got some mice to start breeding for my corns. Unfortunately, due to stupid pet store employees, :twoguns: I got 3 females. So I was near Petco (Appleton, WI) the other day and went in to see if they had a male. When the guy opened up the cage of mice, I was horrified!!! :sidestep: They ALL had lumps all over their bodies, some so much so they couldn't walk, some had them on their face, causing their eye, nose, or ear to be either non-existant, or damaged. Many of the lumps had open sores. Most of them were thin also and others seemed to be retarded. The guy didn't seem to notice, asking "is it going to be for a feeder?". Most people think it doesn't matter the condition of the animals a snake eats, since it dies anyway....this seems to be the attitude at Petco. But there is NO WAY I would even let my babies get NEAR those mice! Needless to say, I just emailed the corporation about this. I complained at the Oshkosh, WI store once, and I was told the supplier of the animals sends them like that (I have many more disgusting stories of animals (reptiles, fish, and mammals suffering in these two stores) This is why I emailed the corporation, because the manager at the store seemed to have his hands tied to even say anything. I have heard there are other Petco stores around the country that have very healthy animals and knowledgable staff....so I don't understand this. I will continue to tell everyone I know or even talk to about pets, not to go there! It makes me sick to see them adopting out homeless dogs and cats and donating all kinds of money or animal charities when the animals in their store are sick, starving, or injured and no one cares! :puke01:

Ok, rant over :wavey:

Totally understandable rant there. When one of my original breeder mice developed a mammary tumour, I retired her until it grew bigger, then euthanised and buried her.

Thats weird, I got my breeder mice at petco. They were all in great condition, looked perfectly heathly and didnt show any signs of sickness or injury. A month later, they are all still looking great.
I guess it shows how different managed each store is in this world.
Ryan,
Lifesong Photos

I don't really trust pet stores anymore after an incident at a local Petco. Since then I swear by herp shows. Best place to get feeders imo. At the last show I went to i found a blue rex feeder rat. If only I still kept them as pets, since I had been looking for one for a long time, I was a wonderful find. You would be suprised at the little treasures you can find at a herp show. Often times the tables selling feeders, live or f/t, will help you pick out the ones that are the perfect size, and let you buy as many as you need. I am sure you could find a good breeder mouse there to. Just make sure you bring a limited amount of money or you will be walking out with much more than you bargined for. lol

piscesgirl1984 said:
I don't really trust pet stores anymore after an incident at a local Petco. Since then I swear by herp shows.

Oh yes, I go to herp shows, but they're usually a long drive....not that popular in WI. But since I only wanted 3 little mice, I didn't think it would be that hard considering there's 5 pet stores near me.

I know that this post is a little old now, but GROSS!! How horrible. We have a petstore near my house like that. All the animals are always on the verge of death and they sell a lot of animals that I thought were illegal. Ha. I called the SPCA about them once, but was blown off basically.

Mice can grow lumps from a lot of different reasons. One reason is over population and not a lot of food. I dont think it effects snakes, but i guess i wouldnt want to risk it.

Back