• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moving snakes to the garage??

Andrew870311

So me and the wife finally went at it about the snakes. We came to a middle ground, and that was the garage. I'm in Virginia and it gets pretty hot here, as it also gets pretty cold here. So regardless I'm going to have to spend some funds on their setups to get them where they need to be. Anyone else keep theirs outside the home?

I kept several snakes in the garage for years in Arizona with an evaporative cooler. It was probably 85 degrees or so I'd guess. Then they hibernated in the winter just fine. Keeping them warm for you will probably be a challenge. How many snakes are we talking?

Mine are all kept in my dining room on those metal shelf thingies you can find at home depot or some such place, like this:

http://www.worthingtondirect.com/storage-furniture/ws201232-b-black-wire-shelving-unit-20-w-x-12-d-x-32-h.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=productsearch&utm_campaign=product&cvsfa=3384&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3537373832&gclid=CKjb_OmLlcUCFUZafgodYqQAXA

I live in Boise Idaho and it gets freaking hot as Hades here in the summer so there's no way I can keep them out there at least during the summer...and gets cold here in winter so that's not an option either. I hope you can find a middle ground on keeping them inside :/

It depends on your situation. My garage would never be an option because it faces the west and the late afternoon sun makes it very hot in the summer (we are in NC) and it is too cold in the winter. I would be a mess worrying about the conditions and spend a fortune trying to maintain heat in the winter.

What are your other options? Could you keep in them in the garage when the weather is reasonable and bring them in when it's too hot or cold?

Most of mine are in the garage. I live in Florida. They have heat in the winter and a little air unit in the summer. I can't believe you have to keep two snakes outside. I have...several. If you have a well built insulated garage they should be fine. Buy a thermometer for outdoors and keep an eye on them.

Here is my 2 cents worth. I have 54 snakes and I keep them in my garage. Here in Durban, South Africa where I live the mid average summer temps get up to around 33Centigrade. I keep my snakes in the middle of the Garage where they are away from walls which would conduct heat. I keep Colubrids and Boas. I have had no problems as I just keep the one set of standard sized windows open all summer. In winter I move the cages to the walls where they then get the conducted heat. My average winter night time temps however are around 18centigrade.

Back