• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moving with snakes....

lillyorchid

I may be moving from North-East Maryland to South Florida in the upcoming month(s). I'll be driving and it can take any where from 16-18hours to get there. I'll be taking my ball python and my corn snake.I've never driven more then two hours with any animal in my car before.

What should I do to get them down there safely and all that jazz?

Where can I get or what can I use for a bag for each of them?

My BP is housed in a sterilite tub, but my corn is in a 20 gallon tank.

Old pillowcases work great as snake bags. Or if you can sew any breathable material can be made into a snakebag as well. Just fold the material in half so that it is open on three sides, cut it down to the correct size for each snake, then sew up the two sides from the fold up to the top, then tie or use a rubberband to secure the top opening. :)

I used to use a cloth drawstring laundry bag. I would cinch it up and then tie the strings around the neck of the bag below the cinched up fabric. Worked like a charm and no ties to lose.

Really dumb question I am sure...

But why is it that snakes don't mind being stuffed into knotted bags?? I have seen this over and over as reccomended transportation, and have always wondered if there's a biological reason behind it.

Most animals are less stressed when their eyes are covered and they are in a dark place. I think the snakes prefer small dark areas so they handle the bags better. I'm going to be moving from California to S. Carolina soon and will be transporting all my snakes with me but the green tree pythons (those are being shipped to me by a friend when I get there.) I'm planning on using small rubbermaid containers so that I can put water in there for them in the evenings when we stay at hotels.

or another way of keeping them warm for a few hours is to get a hot water bottle and put hot water in and then wrap it in paper or sumat so it dnt burn the snake.then put it in a box with the snake.

One other bit of advice: As you're driving, keep them out of the sun! And don't leave them in the car while you go in and eat lunch, either. The heat from the sun can easily get the inside of a car up to unbearable temperatures, even if it's only 80 degrees outside the car. Snakes CAN die of heatstroke.

-Kat

Kat said:
One other bit of advice: As you're driving, keep them out of the sun! And don't leave them in the car while you go in and eat lunch, either. The heat from the sun can easily get the inside of a car up to unbearable temperatures, even if it's only 80 degrees outside the car. Snakes CAN die of heatstroke.

-Kat

Absolutely true! I have a co-worker who baked a ball python this way when he decided to take her to the beach and leave her in the car for an entire afternoon. Then he wondered why she died. He thought they liked it hot! Stupid people....

Back