• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my "calico" mice

chausies

these are the transgenic line of mice, AKA "mikes mice."

The first male is my bicolored transgenic boy. They tend to take on a brindled look when there are no white markings to break up the colors. But since they are not dominant yellow based, they don't have the obesity problems of brindles, and they can produce the more calico looking mice when white markings are added. The second pic is of a more traditional looking "calico." The third pic is of a variegated (dominant white spotted) calico boy, which gives a different look than the usual recessive white spotting.

Attachments

• transGM9.jpg
    transGM9.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 141
  • transGM5_edited-1.jpg
    transGM5_edited-1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 140
  • variTransM2_edited-1.jpg
    variTransM2_edited-1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 141
I love ALL your mouse pics =)

Can you explain this in more detail? ... The first male is my "bicolored transgenic" ?

Thanks!!

certainly, but I'm not sure what you are asking specifically (are you wondering about the transgenic part, or the bicolor part?) so I'll try to cover all the bases.

The transgenic line of mice started in a lab. You can do a search and find all sorts of links, but a guy named Mike in NY managed to purchase some of those lab mice and he bred them for pets. These mice are the closest thing that we have to true calico mice because they can have 3 distinct, seperate colors (when white is included) on any part of their body. They can have black, red, or ruby eyes, or even 2 different eye colors on the same mouse. When you add white markings, the colors on these mice is broken up in such a way that has a calico appearance. But the transgenic mice that do not have white markings (either recessive or dominant spotting) take on a more brindled pattern. They are not related to brindle mice (which are a dominant yellow A^vy) so they don't get obese, and they don't have yellow colors. The transgenic mice without white markings will have 2 colors in the coat, therefore they are bicolors. As far as I know, there is no official name for the transgenic mice that lack white (the ones with white are typically called calico or genie mice.) Some people simply refer to these mice as "Mike's mice" since he is the founder of the pet lines. The original transgenic lab mice make up a tiny percent of the genetics of our current line. The color that creates a transgenic mouse is inherited recessively (seemingly on the c-locus, and can override other c-locus genes like siamese.)

Did any of that answer your question? If not, would you please restate it?

charlene

Back