• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My Female recently bred, but she regurged her large mouse after a couple days.

CAcornguy

Beginner breeder!
Okay folks, this is the first time I have had to deal with a regurge, so I am hoping for some advice. My female is about 5 feet long, and a little fat. I bred her with my males, and 3 days later, I fed her a large...okay very large mouse. I think the mouse was pregnant. She had a little trouble getting it down (took awhile) and Then yesterday I found a partially digested mouse in the cage. I found it due to the HORRIBLE smell coming from the cage. It did not look like it had come all the way through her, instead that she must have regurged. I am wondering how long I should wait to feed her again, and if she needs much smaller food after breeding? I have the cornsnakes manual, and follow everything perfectly, but I am not sure how long to wait until feeding her again. How long until I start noticing her eggs develop? I hope this will not affect her laying eggs, because I am very excited to see this happen! She is a normal with 2 stripes, also going down her back, and I bred her with my Anerythristic male, and my normal male. Does anyone have an idea what kind of babies she could have? The whole genetics thing is very confusing! Thanks for all your replies! -Don

Not sure about all the breeding stuff, but people generally recommend waiting at least 1 week with NO HANDLING after a regurge before feeding again. (I wait 9 days)
Try feeding a smaller mouse than what she usually eats so it'll be easier on her digestive system.

Hey Don,

You should wait a good 7-10 days after a regurge to attempt feeding again (I think waiting 10 is better), which allows the stomach acids to build up so she doesn't regurge again.

Female snakes will tend to start having trouble with larger food items in late stages of egg laying. The eggs will tend to distend her belly and large food items will take a long time or have trouble passing through her cramped GI tract. At early stages she should be eating ravenously though, so you should feed her what she normally eats, or even more, until you notice the eggs getting large, and then back down on the size of the food item (either that or she'll refuse to eat completely).

I think on average it takes about 40 days after mating for a corn to lay eggs.

If your Anery has normal pattern (his belly has checker marks), then you should get 100% normal corns with normal pattern. If your Anery happened to be HET Motley/Striped (hidden recessive gene) you'll get 50% normal with normal pattern and 50% normal with motley/striped pattern. If your Anery was motley/striped, you should get 100% normal with motley/striped pattern. I'm not sure what would happen exactly since you bred her again with another male. I'm thinking the first male would probably have fertilized all her eggs and the other male would have no effect. But I think it's reasonable to expect all normal babies. But who knows, you corns could've been hiding a few recessive genes here and there and the results could be surprising (whoah how'd that hypo get in there?)

Good luck

-13mur 6

Opps, forgot to mention.

All the normals you generate will be Het Motely/striped and 50% of them will be Het for Anery. So if they look like a normal with normal pattern, they have a motley gene hiding in there, and if you breed them back to your female you should get that 50/50 distribution I told you before. And if you get lucky and breed a female hatchling back to your male, you could possibly get a few Anerys (depends on luck, since you can't tell and only 1/2 of them are het Anery).

As you can see, breeding is also a very good verification of genes. So if you get hypos mixed in there some how, both your male and female were Het for Hypo. Who knows, you could get some Anerys in your batch of hatchlings too, and that would mean your female was het Anery.

Heehee, I hope I just didn't get you bitten by the breeding bug. :D

-13mur 6

Thanks for all the info!

I will make sure to wait another week before trying again. Also.....Does anyone know if the chances are good that she will even lay eggs? She did mate with both males, but I am not sure if it is anything like humans, where she may not be gravid. Oh well, I will just hope for the best, and see what happens. Also, I suppose it could be a total surprise, because I have no idea what hatchling could happen. My anery came along with his brother, and his brother looks normal. They both have checkerewd bellies, and so does the female. I have NO idea what genes the female has because she was given to me. She is quite brown in color, and when she was given to me the woman told me she was carmel. She has a normal pattern, but instead of orange, she is quite brown. Also....the 2 stripes going down her back means Motley??? This is like waiting to find out if you are having a boy or girl! I will keep you all posted! -Don

P.S. Are anerys not as popular because I do not see too many posts of people who have them. I think they are one of the most beautiful of all!

Hmm... I guess I read you wrong when you said "two stripes". Can you be more specific? Are they like two faint dark stripes? That's a feature found in many wild caught snakes and some captive breds are known to have it.

If your female has a checkered belly then she's normal, not motley.

Can you post a picture of the female? That'll give a more positive ID. A caramel will definately be more brown than a normal, I think the scientific term for Caramel normals is Hyperxanthic.

If the anery and the normal are brothers, the normal will probably be Het Anery from the sounds of it.

I'm pretty certain your female will produce eggs. Female corns can store sperm if they're not ovulating right away. Try giving her a moist hide and see if she "prepares" it. Just need a tupperware container or a coolwhip container full of damp sphagnum with a hole cut into it.

If you do produce off spring from a pairing of a caramel X anery you'll get 100% Normal + Het Caramel + Het Anery assuming your female is 100% normal caramel (I THINK caramel is a recessive gene). Like I said, you never know what you'll get the first time with unconfirmed genetics.

Snows with Hyperxanthic genes are known as butters just in case you were looking for rare morphs.

Some people like anerys and some don't. Some anerys can be absolutely stunning, especially those of type B (a grey scale corn in essence), giving a strange blue/purple sheen to the entire snake. Ghosts (which are hypo anerys), from type B anerys IMO are awesome animals, giving a pale purple appearance. There are also more complex gene combinations of Anery such as Lavendar (generated by mating a snow corn with a wild caught normal), and they have the same ghostly purple appearance as some ghosts, but their eyes are truely stunning, an almost entirely black eye except for a faint ruby "glow" at the center, very eerie + cute looking at the same time (like looking into a glass of good dark vintage port).

But no, alot of people like Anerys, it's just that there are so many anery+some other gene morphs out there (blizzards, snows, ghosts), anery is just an intermediate step to more complex morphs, that's all and it's a very simple single double recessive gene making it easy to mix with other things that it's just too tempting to just have an anery sitting around doing nothing.

-13mur 6

Back