• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need an adult male in the SF Bay area

CAcornguy

Beginner breeder!
Hello all! I am about to put my snakes into Brumation (Nov 15th) and I am trying to find a male that will be ready for breeding next year. My female is very large and healthy, and she has not ever been bred yet. She is almost 5 feet long!! I was told she was a Caramel corn when I got her, but I have learned that she is actually a normal corn. She also has 2 stripes going down her back, so maybe she has something else too?? Anyway, I took her to the East Bay Vivarium to make sure she is a femal, and she is. I have to other males, but they are much smaller and skinnier than her. (they are both about 38 inches long and eat adult mice) I know they are of breeding age, but I think they may have a hard time with my female because she is so much bigger. Does anyone out there have a large male that we could get together with my female for breeding purposes? Maybe we could work it out where you could take a couple babies in exchange or something. I would like to breed her with a male that may come up with different kinds of babies. Maybe a snow corn??? That is getting into genetics, and it is SOOOOO confusing! Well, thanks for reading. Hope to hear from someone! -Don
1.1 normal
1.0 anerythristic
1.0 pug dog

I have a 1.0 Normal.

His name is Spot. I have no idea about his background other than I vaguely remember him being in a mixed group of corns when I picked him out. He's almost 5' himself and weighs in at around 650 grams. I brumated him this past winter, because he simply quit eating and it was either brumate or watch him starve to death. He came out this spring ready to jump the first thing that moved. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything else then. I will be breeding him to a snow corn (thanks to Mrs. Love) this coming spring. If he's like most males I know, he won't mind another slender lady slithering his way looking for a little action. :p

sounds good!!

Sounds like a big guy you have there. We will definetley have to keep in touch. What kind of snake is he? Colors and stuff? I got a reply about an 8 year old snake that someone will give me, but they do not know if it is a male or female. I think I will take it anyway. I am addicted to these damn animals! I love it though. Talk to you later. -Don

Don,

Those males of yours won't have any trouble breeding your female, if they are at 38" now. In fact, a much smaller male would even get the job done very likely. If you introduce both of them to her, one at a time, I can almost guarantee you that she'll be gravid when they're finished.

It is cool, though, to get other snakes involved for your breeding projects (different gentics floating around, you know). However, the standard split for a breeding loan is a 50/50 split of the resulting hatchlings.

Just thought you'd like to know in advance! :D

50/50 split

I agree to a point about the 50 50 split because it takes 2 to Tango, but Dont you think it is much harder on the Female who has to lay the eggs, and go through all that stress while the male just has to "perform"? I am fine with whatever someone wants to work out anyway. I am just excited to try breeding her for the first time. -Don

Don,

I understand what you're saying, but when you're doing a breeding loan, compensation is discussed in terms of what is fair to the owners of the snakes, rather than to the snakes themselves. True, the female does all the "work" of producing the eggs, but the fact is that she would have no babies to produce if it were not for the male she was bred by. That being true, the owner of the male is a 50/50 partner in the production of the eggs with you, not your snake. This is why a 50/50 split is the hobby standard for breeding loans.

Like I said, that is one reason why you may want to reconsider whether you breed to another person's male or use your own two. They're definitely big enough. Once they're that size/age the urge to reproduce far outweighs any fear they might have of a big female.

I agree

I agree with you. That is why I said I would do whatever is fair. I could honestly care less about how many babies she has. To tell you the truth, I am thinking she could lay a lot of eggs, because she is very healthy, good size, and a strong eater. I noticed that she had the feeling of a "string of pearls" in her belly recently, and she has also fattened up quite a bit in her lower half, so I think she mey be Gravid, or on her way. I realize this is not the time of year for it, but it is possible right? I have been putting my males in with her one at a time to see what happens. It wopuld be so great if they mated. Otherwise, I will still try to breed her in the spring after Brumation. This wil lead to my next posting......Whether to Brumate all my snakes, or just the males??? -Don

Darin is right, but...

it depends on the other person involved. Speaking only for my self--which is all I can do--I would be satisfied with just a couple of the babies, and then, only if they were exceptional. I don't have the room, nor the inclination, to raise a bunch of normals or snows right now. Come this spring, I'll have my own hands full of both with a Spot x Snow corn mating. By the way, Spot looks like an Okeetee, but he is a normal. I guess you could say he's the spitting image of what some call a "Classic Corn." I was just trying to help out a fellow Bay Area Corn Freak.:cool:

Back