• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need help picking a herp

mwr920

I recently upgraded my corn into a 20gallon tank, and now have a 10gallon that is not in use. I was wondering if there is any, hardy low matenience herp that would do well in a 10gallon.

thaNks

From my own experience I can say that leopard geckos do well in 10 gallon tanks as do pac man frogs (argentine horned frogs). I imagine just about any kind of gecko would work, maybe some small snakes if you wanted another snake. Whatever you end up getting I'd get at a show if possible - I don't trust pet stores and I believe that they overcharge lots. Don't know anything else from experience - seems that my corns take up the least space (especially compared to the monitor and iguana!)

~Katie

well i think you can house a hognose snake in a 10g but im not sure if thats to small or not but if you want a lizard and you could get a leopard gecko they are the best starter lizard but i dont think there are any others that will do well under low maitenence

You could get a mourning gecko, they are awesome. They are all female and lay fertile eggs without needing a male. Plus the eggs incubate at room temp. (mid 70s) and the gecks themselves do well at that temp.

They are small, around 3 inches max including the tail, and you can usually get them for about 10 bucks each at a herp show. You can also comfortably house several in a ten gallon tank. One lady I know bought one, several years later she has 56! All from the original female. Here is a good caresheet.

http://www.gekkota.com/html/lepidodactylus_lugubris.html

Honestly I'm not sure why they aren't more popular.

Sisuitl said:
You could get a mourning gecko, they are awesome. They are all female and lay fertile eggs without needing a male. Plus the eggs incubate at room temp. (mid 70s) and the gecks themselves do well at that temp.

They are small, around 3 inches max including the tail, and you can usually get them for about 10 bucks each at a herp show. You can also comfortably house several in a ten gallon tank. One lady I know bought one, several years later she has 56! All from the original female. Here is a good caresheet.

http://www.gekkota.com/html/lepidodactylus_lugubris.html

Honestly I'm not sure why they aren't more popular.

wow, interesting.

I'm thinking about fire-bellied toads now, they only cost about 5 bucks so not a big risk.

if it were me i would get another snake. either a young corn, king, hognose, other kind of rat snake, bull snake,or even a ball python.

leopard or fat tailed geckoes do well in a cage that size
they are easy to keep too
heres a few pics of my fat tailed geckoes to show you
Picture2184.jpg

Picture2186.jpg

Picture2191.jpg

Picture2194.jpg

lee

Crested geckos are pretty low maintenance too, but a little more pricey. Not too sure if an adult would be comfy in a 10 gallon tank though.

Firebelly toads are pretty cheap yes. But you want to take a couple of points into consideration.

1. There are no truely low maintenance amphibians. They are all really sensitive to water quality and require you to keep their water very clean since bacteria and toxins build up to toxic levels rather quickly. Depending on the quality of your tap water, you may need to buy distilled water for their habitat.

2. If you want a pet that you can handle, amphibians aren't a good choice, especially firebelly toads since they have poisonous skin secretions.

If you are just wanting a cool pet for display and enjoy building and maintaining terrariums (i.e. it's fun and not work) then amphibians are a great choice.

Good luck with whichever you go with! :)

Yeah, this would be more of a display. I like the idea of making a cool looking vivarium.

I thought about a rubber boa, but I really don't want another snake now, plus I don't want to pay $75 :p

thanks for all the suggestions, I'll defienately look into those

I breed cresteds and yes, 1 adult is comfy in a 10g...they're a bit pricier, but fun to handle and they don't mind...they'll jump from hand to hand....they also have a lifespan of over 15 yrs, think I've heard ppl say 20 now but can't confirm that
I thought leopard geckos and fat tails needed a 20L at least...

are rubber boas definitely fine in a 10g? I've had my eye on them for the future

Rachel,
Here's the Captive Care page on rubberboas.com
I've had mine less than a year now, so they'd know far better than I! I do enjoy mine very much. They are highly sensitive to light cycle, so be prepared for winter fasting!

Aww, I would love a rubber boa, but they are *extremely* illegal here. You're right though, they are awesome and hardy.

As far as snakes go, garters are surprisingly elegant and interactive companions. When I walk into the room all of mine instantly shoot out of their hides and start climbing up the glass at me, "begging" to be let out. Then I hold them and they investigate every nook of my hand to see if there is any food, then they slither all around my neck before settling in a pocket. None of my corns are that interactive, and not one has ever sought human attention like that.

The cool thing about cresteds it they feel like they are made of velvet. They are seriously neat animals.

Another vote for cresteds here, they're wonderful lil guys that don't seem to mind handling - but if you want to go the amphibian route, you may want to also consider White's Tree Frogs instead of Firebellys. They're a little pricier ($10-15) than a firebelly, but not as expensive as cresteds. As younguns, they're adorable, and would do well in a 10 - the only caveat is that they may need something larger as they get older.

regards,
jazz

Might I suggest a pet rock?

They love to be handled, can live in a small tank, do not require heat, water, or much care, and best of all, they're free!

Let me know.

Ok, the kings of ease are:

[SIZE=2]The best pet you can keep in a ten gallon tank is a common toad from your area.
They are interesting to watch hunt, they are cool to look at, and they are hardy.
[/SIZE]

Back