• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new snake Lover a few questions

Snakelova4eva

Hi I just got a snake today i think it is a read albino motley but it might not be i will post a pic later on too i just have 3 questions

1) I have my hatchling corn in a 35 gallon tank with and exscape proof lid is that to big

2) should i ever upgrade the size of the tank

3) i have an under tank heat pad and i was wondering is that enough to keep the snake at a good tempeture

Wow! 35 Gallons? Can be too big, your corn might get stressed easily because he or she could be overwhealmed by the size.... might not be able to find the warm and cold spots on the tank easy enough. I would switch to a smaller tank if it seems like he's not eating or regurgitates his food. Doesn't mean they can't do well in a big tank, but usually they like to feel secure. Make sure you have enough hides in warm and cool sides! :D Under tank heat pad may be enough... just make sure the warm end stays around 82-88 degrees, cool side around 75 or so. If the warm end isn't at least 80, get a heat lamp to help things along. Water dish always on the cold end. Other than that, enjoy the snake!

One thing that might be a good compromise...

Is to get a rubbermaid or sterilite shoebox type container (lots of us use those as homes for our snakes...), put air holes around the sides... and place it inside the larger tank with one end on the heated side. Make sure you put a small water bowl in there and close the lid.

1) you now have a safe, secure place for a baby snake
2) it's not taking up extra room
3) when the baby is bigger, all you have to do is pop off the lid and give him time to adjust to the larger space while still having access to the smaller space.

I have set up a number of friends snakes this way and they have done really well.

Welcome to the forum!

quick question..
how is it that a cage can be too big? do wild corns get stressed because they're not enclosed?
just wondering
-abbya

Back