• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake, New Member...

ssmorsi

Hello there... I'm a new member to CornSnakes.com. I bought my my snake about a year ago now. It's my first snake... I've taken it to a petstore and posted it's picture on another website trying to get an accurate type. The store said it was an Albino Ami but the website told me it was a "flourescent." Maybe you guys can help. However, all 5 of the guys at the store told me it's one of the best looking corns they have seen.

Anyhow, I have a few questions. Please help... :
1) Do I need something for the snake to climb on? It seems like it's been fine for the last year without one.
2) I like to soak him for a few minutes once in a while. Everytime I put in his bathing container or take him out to let roam around, he poops. NEVER FAILS... Anyone know why that is?
3) I've enjoyed this snake so much I'm ready for another one. However, I'm having a hard time finding a true Bloodred. All the ones I see at the local specialty reptile stores (been to about 5 different ones) have some kind of patern on them. Correct me if I'm wrong but most young bloodreds do have some type of pattern but will gradually grow out of it. Is there anyway to find out if all the pattern will dissapear when it grows?

I think this forum will be great for me. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 093005-25in_3 small.jpg
    093005-25in_3 small.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 41
Sorry folks but I didn't know of any other way to do this but to reply to my own post. After spending a few hours reading threads and looking at pictures I came up with other retarded questions .... What is a "Het" and "Hypo" and any other accronyms you guys are using. ALSO, what the heck are 1.1, 1.2, 2.3, etc??

Thanks again :shrugs:

Nice corn!
Het is short for heterozygous, meaning the snake is carrying one copy of a particular gene.
Hypo means reduced, usually used as shorthand for hypomelanistic, meaning reduced black pigment.
1.2, 3.1 etc refers to how many male.female.unsexed animals, so 1.0.2 corns would mean 1 male.0 female.2 unsexed
The questions aren't retarded! Everyone starts somewhere :)

Welcome to the forum! That's a pretty snake :wavey:

Snakes don't NEED to climb, but I think it's nice for them to have the option. My snakes climb all the time.

Bathing the snake is a very good trick for getting the bowels doing their job - I believe it's the exercise, gets everything moving :grin01:

If you're looking at hatchling bloodreds, they will have patterning. Sadly to the best of my knowledge there's no way to tell how the animal will look in adulthood. It's all a bit of a lottery.

Cool, thx for the info about the bowel thing. I just didn't know if it was normal. As for the Het, Hypo, and the 1.0.2 thing.. I'm getting it down. Thx for the help. :rolleyes:

Nice looking snake, looks like an Amelanistic to me but I'm am no expert. Some here will disagree, but the only dumb or retarded question is the one unasked. There are a lot of good FAQ's here and the search function is fantastic. What type Corn are you thinking about getting...and welcome to the forum!

Back