• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

NJ heating question

bubba6

hi,

I have a 20L tank with an UTH on a rheostat. My question is at night the warm side goes down in the 70's and the cool side into the 60's and it's not even cold here yet. what kind of lighting,another UTH, or thermostat set-up can someone reccomend? i have all bulbs(daylight, red night bulb, and basking) please help as I want to provide the best "home" for him that I can!! thanks in advance and pictures are coming soon! he ate the first week I had him....soooo happy.

How are you measuring the temperature? With a stick on dial or strip thermometer, or with a digital thermometer with a probe?

Do you mean an infrared temp gun? :) If so where are you pointing it and how close? ie, are you measuring the temp under the substrate, under the warm hide, directly over the heat mat? and are you at the proper distance for getting an accurate reading for that temp gun?

I'd forget the dial therm - they're notorious for being innaccurate. Have seen reports of them being 10 degrees out either way. My nephew has one - despite my begging - that reports 75 degrees when the actual temp is 85. I take my infra-red one round and check every time I visit (at least that's his Christmas present sorted...).

I'd also give up measuring the air temp unless your Corn spends a lot of time hovering! It'll be on the ground, so that's where you need to measure the temp. Preferably on (and under, as they can burrow) the substrate, immediately above the UTH.

Bear in mind that a rheostat isn't the same as a thermostat - you could get a much better result with a thermostat on the same UTH.

thanks for all the help. i take the readings all over warm and cool sides, just ordered a repti stat 500. should be good to go. thanks again!!!

I'm surprised your temperatures are that low, my house isn't even that cold yet. Anyhow I think the Repti Stat 500 will work well I have heard good things about it from people using it for a couple snakes. I also agree that you should get rid of the dial thermometer they don't work, replace it with a digital probe thermometer.

I have a repti stat and it works well for my corn, fluctuates only around 1-2 degrees which is nothing.
I use it in combination with a digital thermometer with the probes next to each other to dial in and monitor the temp

Back