• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Picky corn?

mrdalliard

Hello,
My corn Babs is about five months old. She's never been a really enthusiastic eater and usually I have to leave the pinky in her hide overnight. A few weeks ago I moved her from a smaller cage to a larger one and she didn't eat that week because of the stress of the move. Then about two days after I moved her she started her shedding process and so didn't eat that week either. Now she's shed and is much happier, but she still doesn't seem too interested in the pinkies I've been waving in front of her.

Is this normal? I know snakes can go quite a while without eating, so I'm not too worried yet, but I wondered if there was anything I could do. Thank you!

You could try leaving her in her old, small cage, with the food, overnight. A smaller enclosure sometimes encourages them to eat and being in a smaller tank for a few hours won't cause harm.

I do have 1 Very picky corn-my Aztec male,I'm always having to try new waysto get him to eat-'cuz as soon as I think I've found something that will work he'll stop taking it--definately makes me think outside the box for feeding him LOL--what's weird is his sister Never turns down a meal &requires no special tricks

Have you tried feeding her in a small container? We use a Tupperware container for feeding. Once the mouse is down, we remove the lid and put the container into the viv so snake can get out.

I tried putting her in a tupperware last night and she seemed spectacularly uninterested. Any other tips?

Thank you!

Brain the mouse! Try cutting using a knife to cut open the pinkie's head. The scent is strong. Also, you could catch or buy an anole to scent the mouse with. Also, if you have tongs, you can try wiggling the mouse around.

I spent the better part of a year trying to get my first corn, diallo, eating reliably. He finally decided mice are food, but its a ritual to get him to eat... the food has to be in the small kritter keeper first, thawed and hot, then diallo goes in the keeper, then I put the lid on and wrap it in a blanket and wait. If I interrupt him by peeking before he's done, he'll spit out the food and refuse to finish.
Some snakes just like to try and make things difficult.

With my jungle corn i have to brain the pinky and tease feed.If i leave him in a container with the pinky he wont touch it. He went off food in early november and i will feed for the 3rd time on friday so yeah they can go a little while without eating.

Back