• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Release

DaYeti

Before you tell me how wrong I was, know that I regret what I have done.

June, 2005, I found a corn snake in my yard. I decided to put it in a tank to observe it. Soon, though, I decided to feed it then to keep it. Now, I feel terrible about taking him from the wild. Tell me, if I released him, do you think he'd have a chance? He was probably a month old when I caught him.

That all depends on where your located. If its where they are native too then you have a wild caught corn which of course will have a chance of surviving in its native habitat (as much of a chance as it would if you didnt find it).

Now if your not where they are naturally from then most likely you have an escaped pet which if released will have a poorer chance of surviving, especially in colder climates.

I'd do that too, if there were cornsnakes here and it was legal. Before anyone gets moral on you, all the snakes in our collections originate from wild-caught a few generations ago. Why not keep the snake rather than release it though, if it is thriving under your care?

If you got it when it was young, and have raised it for over a year, then it probably wouldn't survive in the wild. Just get him a bigger cage and you'll probably feel better.
:cheers:

If the reason for wanting to get rid of the snake is because you feel guilty about taking it out of its habitat, then relax. People do it all the time, and some of them collect great numbers of them to sell for profit. Keep the snake, and enjoy it.

If you're tired of caring for the snake, which shouldn't make you feel guilty either, you could sell it. I don't know where you collected the snake, but there is definitely a market for corns from specific localities. Releasing it isn't a bad option either, if you release it near where you captured it. But I think it probably has a better chance of surviving by remaining in captivity.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

I would keep it if you had it since it was about a month old. It has a better chance of surviving in your care since you've already kept it alive for over a year, and now you've joined this site, so he's got it made :cheers:

I doubt he misses the wild. Perhaps at first, captivity was a bit weird and scary. But I'd be surprised if he remembered how things used to be. And perhaps his hunting instincts aren't as well-honed as they once were? Either way, he won't be eaten by any predatory birds in your house (I assume :D), nor will he die from disease (well, we hope).

I have two WC corns and you shouldn't feel bad. The mortality rate for snakes around here is terrible because of the all the gigantic birds and other predators. You may have saved the snakes life, and by taking it in (as long as you're treating it right and giving it what it needs) he is probably happier now anyway. I'm in the process of building an outdoor habitat right now for some snakes(by that I mean just designing my yard with an ideal snake habitat) and will safely as possible keep the birds away so that the snakes I have living around my house (I've seen alot) can enjoy a nice place to live without to many predators and still be in the wild.

Back