• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

restraining a 6ft rat snake

Greeling

basicly my rat has a retained eye cap. i tried to get it off but he thrashes around too much. on top of that i don't have anyone who'll help me (too afraid of both ends, if not snakes in general)
is there anyway to do this single handedly without hurting him?

Yes, get a long tube of some type that can fit into but not move around a whole lot and have his head open on one end that you can hold onto and work with it.

Before you do anything, Start by putting him a tuppperware container with a wet towel for a few hours at least to soften everything up. It is a sensitive procedure to remove an eyecap without causing damage or eye infection. If its not loose enough it can be a bad thing to deal with.

another idea for restraint is to put him in a pillow case or cloth bag and just pull his head out to work with but leave the body inside the case so the thrashing is controlled.

You are welcome! Good luck with that and please be very gentle...soak it first and dont use any sharp objects to remove that cap..just a wet cloth. if it doesnt come loose easily give up and leave it to come off in the next shed.

The pillow case is a good idea , but we always put ours in a bath with a couple of inches of water. With nothing to grip onto it makes it much easier to control a snake.We then use cotton buds to *flick*the scale off. Having so much water around really helps.
MIKE

he seems to have taken care of it on his own. or will i not be able to see it once it's dried?
i've looked for photos on the subject but i can't seem to find any.

If it looks like it's gone, it probably is. A retained eyecap can be hard to see, but usually the edges around the eyecap are visible. If you tried the pillowcase suggestion the eyecap should be in it.

Back