• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Second Herpin' Trip of 2007

SkyChimp

Still not alot moving, but these warm days should start bringing them out.

From Newport news and Williamsburg, VA...

Attachments

• salamander.jpg
    salamander.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 128
  • frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 126
  • centipede1.jpg
    centipede1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 127
  • centipede2.jpg
    centipede2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 127
Oh, and a snake, too. This one has a fresh injury to the tip of the tail. Turtle? King Snake? Only this snake knows for sure...

Attachments

• snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 126
  • snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 126
I love love love garters, they are the beautiful snakes that started the fascination for me. I love the photo, he looks very chill.
:)

Actually, he was anything but calm, LOL. He was freakin' out and the only way I could get a decent picture was to rest his front half on a log while I held him with my left hand and snapped a pic with my right hand. I actually heard him before I saw him. I finally caught him near the base of the tree and he promptly bit me (without consequence). The end of his tail had a nasty little gash, and it was bleeding. No telling what had hold of him. I caught him near the edge of a swamp and he was really hauling a$$. Maybe a wading bird or a turtle. Who knows. But it should do just fine. Nothing critical injured.

It's an Eastern Ribbon Snake. Very common around here. Usually the first snakes out around here in the spring, along with Garters.

SkyChimp said:
Actually, he was anything but calm, LOL. He was freakin' out and the only way I could get a decent picture was to rest his front half on a log while I held him with my left hand and snapped a pic with my right hand. I actually heard him before I saw him. I finally caught him near the base of the tree and he promptly bit me (without consequence). The end of his tail had a nasty little gash, and it was bleeding. No telling what had hold of him. I caught him near the edge of a swamp and he was really hauling a$$. Maybe a wading bird or a turtle. Who knows. But it should do just fine. Nothing critical injured.

It's an Eastern Ribbon Snake. Very common around here. Usually the first snakes out around here in the spring, along with Garters.

wow. maybe i've been identifying them wrong all this time, because he looks very similar to a lot of supposed garter's i've caught. Do they live up on the north west coast do you know?

Garters and Ribbons are both in the genus Thamnophis. So they are very closely related. Some species in that genus look similar, so are easily confused.

When you say north west coast, do you mean Pacific Northest (northern California, Oregon, Washington)?

According to my main book, Snakes of the United States and Canada, Northwestern Garter Snakes, Western Terrestrial Garter Snakes, and Common Garter Snakes are native to that area (maybe some more i missed). The pictures in the book show so many color variations of the Common Garter, some of which look very close to the snake I photographed today. So, you probably have been catching Garters that simply look similar to my Ribbon.

Ribbons are very common around here. I caught it in a text book area (in high woods next to a swamp). It's a small, very slender snake. That one would probably be an adult. The main visual difference between a Ribbon and a Garter are the clean labial scales around the mouth. Garters' mouth scales usually have dark marks.

The ribbon looks just like my little "Tweak", if you have ever watched Southpark (not a habit for me) you know why I named him that. He is a jumpy little thing, curious though. even with months of handling he still doesn't care for it a whole lot, but he wants to crawl through your hand if you put it in the tank, plus he is the only one out of all my snakes that seems to take an interest in what I am doing around the house. He'll follow me around the room and if he can't see me because of the hide or decorations in it, he moves. Those are some really cool pics and it has inspired me to take my 8 year old daughter and go get some daddy/daughter time in the local woods. Still wished I could get my 13 year old daughter to even touch a snake or bug other than a quick poke.

I thought I saw before on your first outing that you took your kid with you, is that something you do alot??
attachment.php

Attachments

• 101_0085.jpg
    101_0085.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 113
Poor little Ribbon Snake! He'd just escaped some predator, and then you get him! No wonder he was in a biting mood. Great finds.

Nanci

SkyChimp said:
Garters and Ribbons are both in the genus Thamnophis. So they are very closely related. Some species in that genus look similar, so are easily confused.

When you say north west coast, do you mean Pacific Northest (northern California, Oregon, Washington)?

According to my main book, Snakes of the United States and Canada, Northwestern Garter Snakes, Western Terrestrial Garter Snakes, and Common Garter Snakes are native to that area (maybe some more i missed). The pictures in the book show so many color variations of the Common Garter, some of which look very close to the snake I photographed today. So, you probably have been catching Garters that simply look similar to my Ribbon.

Ribbons are very common around here. I caught it in a text book area (in high woods next to a swamp). It's a small, very slender snake. That one would probably be an adult. The main visual difference between a Ribbon and a Garter are the clean labial scales around the mouth. Garters' mouth scales usually have dark marks.

Oh alright then. Good to know I likely have been getting it right....
doesn't really matter what he is, though, he's a cute little bugger!

By west coast I mean Victoria/the gulf islands actually, but I figured I'd stick a north in there just because we're more north than all of you in americaland. I don't think I've found many snakes on the mainland, but maybe thats because we usually got out away from the city by going to the island..:)

Maybe thats why I decided to come here for school- no wild snakes on the mainland!

-Kelsey

hartsock said:
I thought I saw before on your first outing that you took your kid with you, is that something you do alot??
attachment.php

As much as I can, but not as much as I'd like, if that makes any sense. I have two boys, 9 and 11.

My youngest is more fascinated by snakes, but doesn't last long in the field. My herping trips with him are usually close to home, and pretty short because he starts to wear out quickly. Once he wears out, the whining starts. Then neither one of us have fun then. We usually get out once a week somewhere. I try to leave and take him home before he wears out so he leaves wanting to do more (hopefully so he doesn't end up hating it).

My oldest isn't fascinated like with snakes like my youngest (or myself), but he likes being outdoors, is long winded, and makes a great companion even if he's not all that interested in snakes. He can pretty much last all day. We don't get out as often because he's always got plans (friends, karate, couts, etc). Maybe once a month or so.

I don't know anything about centipedes. I'd like to know more about this thing. It was under a log and was about 3 inches long.

Attachments

• centipede.jpg
    centipede.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 47
Centipedes not fun geting sting by one of those I'm from PR were there is a lot of them u mostly find them under rocks were is humid and there is shade u can also find them inside ur house and get sting
One night I was asleep with ma hands underneath the pelow and I got stung by one I jump of bed and saw him crawling
Simptoms fever,shaking, nausea.
I'm not sure how this works bt ma grandmother puts them in a jar with alchol for months and then is use for swealing and spraines ankles like a massage I don't really like them as much just cuz I got stung by one .

Sorry for the poor grammer

Back