• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

soaking in water?

n1ck

$null
i see a lot of posts about people soaking their corns in water.... do corn snakes actually enjoy being in water? im having some shedding issues yet i cant seem to get her to soak in water at all? its not very deep or anything and its in a big tin pie saucer thing. plenty of room for her. she is only a hatchling maybe 15 inches long now>? :shrugs:

well just patches of skin that didnt shed off. shes still a little fiesty for me to grab her up and wipe her off with paper towel. that would never happen. haha.

Well, you can soak corns for a couple different reasons. Probably the two most common are to help with defecation (I guess it loosens them up a bit, and allows them to poo easier) and to help with shedding (softens the skin and such). Mine seems to enjoy soaking as long as she can hold on to me. However, if I put her in the water by herself she totally panics (even though there is less than an inch of water) and climbs out immediately. This may just be her though, I don't know. Oh, and I've also caught her soaking in her water dish at night sometimes, so yours may be doing that too. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are having trouble with her pooping, or trouble with shedding. Since you're having some trouble with the shedding I'd try to get her to soak if you can, otherwise just try misting her a couple times when she goes blue or providing a humidity box for her. Hope that helps!:)

yes, i suppose you are right. just wasnt sure if corns naturally enjoyed water or if thats just something people have been implementing into their care for snakes :) yeaaaaaaaaaa.................i guess ill just let her soak as she pleases. i just need to concentrate on taming her i guess. im starting slow just by puttin my hand in her viv. and letter her "sniff" me to get used to my hand and such rather than just snatching her up.... i dont know if thats working though. ive had her for maybe 3 weeks tomorrow....i would think that she should be used to me by now?

Someone has probably already suggested this to you, but I thought I'd throw it out here anyway... You might try putting a shirt or something that you've worn into the viv with her for a day (or so?) so that she becomes accustomed to you scent and such. That might help?

well people had mentioned putting an "item" of mine in there but i wasnt really sure what to use. a shirt or clothing is a good idea! thanks a lot i think i may try that, i suppose if she would crawl up on there and cuddle up in my shirt that would be a good start

hey if shes still like, terrified of me should i persist on snatchin her up out of her viv. and handling her or should i give her some more time to adjust?

Well, I don't know, 3 weeks seems like a *lot* of time to adjust. I guess I couldn't really say. Sienna never really cared one way or another if you took her out. She never tried to "run" or anything, she just let you pick her up. Maybe I got lucky. She was the sweetest snake out of her whole clutch (well the ones they had at the store at least), and that was one of the reasons she was the one who finally came home with us. I guess that what I would do would be just continue to gently take your girl out for short periods of handling and see how things progress... Maybe some one else has some better advice on this.

Yep, lived in East Lansing for the past 3 years when I went to MSU, nice area, but I'm loving the graduated-life now too!

n1ck said:
i just need to concentrate on taming her i guess. im starting slow just by puttin my hand in her viv. and letter her "sniff" me to get used to my hand and such rather than just snatching her up.... i dont know if thats working though. ive had her for maybe 3 weeks tomorrow....i would think that she should be used to me by now?

just go ahead and handle her.

remember snakes have heat pits and a sudden change of temperature might and will make them flinch a little . after they adjust to your body temperature she/he'll settle down.

once i was handling my okeetee and my daughter had friends over one of her friend wanted to hold the snake . when i handed it to her the snake literally JUMPED out of her hand, when i touched her hand she was hot to the touch. so the sudden change was very disagreeable to the snake.

i could be wrong about all i said but i am pretty sure of it ( 1st paragraph )

Keep trying to handle her. It's taken months for my one hatchling to quit tail rattling, musking and attempting to bite me. Some are just more nervous to begin with.

MADMAN said:
just go ahead and handle her.

remember snakes have heat pits and a sudden change of temperature might and will make them flinch a little . after they adjust to your body temperature she/he'll settle down.

once i was handling my okeetee and my daughter had friends over one of her friend wanted to hold the snake . when i handed it to her the snake literally JUMPED out of her hand, when i touched her hand she was hot to the touch. so the sudden change was very disagreeable to the snake.

i could be wrong about all i said but i am pretty sure of it ( 1st paragraph )

No offense, but you're 100% wrong. Corns dont have 'heat pits', snakes that do would be pythons, pit vipers, etc etc. Corns use their tongue and tongue only to smell and taste the air.

You need to just pick your snake up and support it, but dont restrict it. It will freak out for the first little bit, but when it realizes you're not going to eat it I promise it will settle down.

Hehe, I'm glad I read through the whole thread before replying. I almost commented on the heat pit thing too. I was like "Wait a minute....." Glad someone else is on top of things too.

I think I may have a picture of one of my massasaugas "head on" in which the heat pits are very evident. I'll post it if I can find it so you can see what we mean Madman. They're pretty cool. They say massasaugas (maybe other snakes too, but I don't know for sure) can sense a one tenth of a degree difference with their pits, crazy, huh?

Sorry for gettin a bit off topic, I get excited sometimes...

hey lots of good replies and a lot of new information for me. most of that i did not know. katieL a tenth of a degree is pretty amazing. i definately appreciate all the good info. now if i can just incorporate all of that stuff in my taking care of her :) perhaps she'll be a bit more sociable anyway, thanks again!

Back