• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Strange eye, blind?

Itsnowingcorns

Stuffy Brit
Some of those in cornchat will probably know that my amel has a strange eye, I was afraid he couldn't see in it. I was told to shine a light in his eye to see if the pupil contracted, it didn't, and didn't dilate even after about ten minutes it had been in dim light after. I took some pics last night but they are so darn blurry I shouldn't have bothered. I'm posting them anyway, I think you can just about see the pupil if you look hard. Do you think he could be blind in this eye?

Eye in dim light:
DSCI0081.JPG

Eye in torch light:
DSCI0082.JPG

Thanks for any replies in advance.

hmmm, looks like what my female, poppy had a few mnths back, i noticed one day that one eye looked very dull, shes an amel too, and her pupil looked like a tear drop shape, and she didnt move it with a torch shone in her eye or anything, took her to the vet and he said it was just an infection, he gave her a series of shots over the next few days and he said thats it, shes fine, however he said her eye will never change, it doesnt seem to bother her at all, but then again, its so bloody hard to tell with snakes, her pupil is still like a tear drop shape, its still a lighter red than the other but she does move it a teeny tiny bit the vet did say he cannot actually tell if she is blind or not, but he thinks she may be a tad blind in that eye now. shes doing great though, dispite her eye.
hope this is all it is and nothing serious, it may be wise to get a vet to check, ya know? better to be safe than sorry i always say.
good luck
:)

It could be a retained eye cap which basically means the scale that covers the eye didnt shead off when the snake last shead...its easily cureable with a product that can be bought from your local pet store

Packerfan4 said:
It could be a retained eye cap which basically means the scale that covers the eye didnt shead off when the snake last shead...its easily cureable with a product that can be bought from your local pet store

A retained eye cap wouldn't stop the pupil from dilating.

I don't think it's any of these problems. The eye has always been this way, ever since I got him. I was thinking he was maybe born blind in that eye?

snakes already have bad eyesight when born, they more rely on their sence of smell and taste, that is why the toung is always flicing out, even if she didn go blind, i dont think it ouwld be that big of a problym , i housed a ribbon snake who was blind and it still kept on a normal feeding scedual, you just have to put it inits seperate tank to feed it and it should be okay, th only down side is when you go to handle her she might be a little jumpy :bounce:

Back