• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Two more Questions Please

jimijaw

Ok my snakes have had 3 copulations with wet evidence afterwards, How long before she will lay? I have purchased a plastic shoe box size container and spaghnum. After she lays can I remove the egg box to a 10 gallon aquarium on top of a thermostatically controlled people heat pad and if so what type of cover for the aquarium solid or with a few small holes for ventilation. I am going to try and keep the tank at 82 to 85 degrees what should the humidity be? Oh almost forgot how long after laying does it take for the eggs to hatch? Im asking now just incase my books dont arrive in time. Id sure hate to loose a clutch due to my stupidity. Thanks Jimi

jimijaw said:
Ok my snakes have had 3 copulations with wet evidence afterwards, How long before she will lay? I have purchased a plastic shoe box size container and spaghnum. After she lays can I remove the egg box to a 10 gallon aquarium on top of a thermostatically controlled people heat pad and if so what type of cover for the aquarium solid or with a few small holes for ventilation. I am going to try and keep the tank at 82 to 85 degrees what should the humidity be? Oh almost forgot how long after laying does it take for the eggs to hatch? Im asking now just incase my books dont arrive in time. Id sure hate to loose a clutch due to my stupidity. Thanks Jimi

Approximately 4 weeks from copulation she will go through a prelaying SHED Period and then within 6-10 Days after the shed she will lay the eggs.

It is important that she have a humid, but not too wet area of moss or something to burrow and lay her eggs in. I would make her laying container larger than a shoe box container. you want her to be comfortable and not stressed out. Stress can cause egg binding.

After she lays the eggs, yes they can be put in a closed container with moistened substrate so that the humidity will be 90 to 100 percent within the chamber. It can be opened to air out once or twice a week. This container should be put in a warm enviroment to Incubate between 80-84 degrees.

The eggs will hatch in a little less than two months. The temp you incubate at will make the big difference here.

Did I cover all your questions?

Best wishes to you.

Dawn I cant thank you enough, you have definately help me to relax and now I know I have time. I did put in a bigger container with damp spagnum and I have a temperature probe in the box so I can keep it at the correct temp. I cant find a hygrometer around here with a probe so Im going to put a digital one inside the box. Again thank you!!! Jimi

You are welcome. Glad to help. You dont need a hydrometer really. If the container has enough humidity then within a week condensation will start to appear on the inside of the lid and the sides..seeing condensation building is a good sign it is humid enough. just be sure not to make the common mistake of making the substrate too damp that you are going to set the eggs in. It should be moist but if rung out no more water should come from it. If you need to add a spray of moisture later you can.

One other question, I read on a care sheet that if you move the eggs do not turn them as they will die. Is this true or is it only on certain species? They said if you have to move the eggs make sure to mark them on top with a pencil or marker. Just checking. Again Thanks so much. Jimi

The idea behind that is that in the early stages of egg developement the veins that carry oxygen choose a spot to attach themselves to the egg wall. In the first day or two it is not likely to have attached yet so turning them would not likely to hurt them but after that the twisting after the cord is attached to the top could cause them not to receive proper flow of things and die within the egg. I always mark my egg tops with a pencil before I move them to be on the safe side.

aaww..shucks. Don't make me Blush. I am glad I could help. Feel free to email me if you have any pressing questions as you go through the breeding season. I am not on here very much lately. [email protected] There are alot of very knowledgable people around here though!

Take Care

Back