• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is this strange behavior?

Kaynein

This is Pickles, my (assumed) female snake. She's probably 2 years old or so. Recently, she's been very active. Constantly exploring, pacing her cage almost. I'm not sure what's going on.

[Caught her via mobile with her body braced up against the glass, and her tail swishing in the water bowl. She stayed like that for a good 5 minutes or so before continuing to slither around]

Attachments

• 20120516191712.jpg
    20120516191712.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 58
Also sounds like Pickles may be a male. I have a male going non stop in his cage right now as well. Its mating season. :)

Wow see now I didn't even know this..lol..so now I am going to keep an eye on my snake and if I see him/her pacing..I know what he/she is..yay! lol..Even those who have been here for a few years still learns something new every now and again..lol

Also sounds like Pickles may be a male. I have a male going non stop in his cage right now as well. Its mating season. :)

Not completely necessarily. I have a couple girls that pace when they are looking for a mate and they most certainly pace before they lay eggs.

Is it mating season? That would explain it! She's literally at it all day long. I often wake up at 3am for work, and catch her zooming about. I took her outside for at least an hour today so she could have some natural light. She loved basking.

Sigh..well there goes that theory..lol...back to the drawing board..::walks over to a drawing board and crosses out pacing:: lol

She keeps falling...the edges of the tank aren't wide enough to support her girth. Should I worry about her crashing down on her climbing sticks/interwoven log peices. I worry about broken ribs...

Not completely necessarily. I have a couple girls that pace when they are looking for a mate and they most certainly pace before they lay eggs.

Ya, your right. My female definately paces before laying eggs.

Also is Pickles eating? Some will not feed at this time either.

She hasn't ever been bred, so no eggs to be had.

She eats like a champ. One medium sized mouse every 10-12 days or so.

They can lay clutches of infertile eggs even if they've never been mated. It's rare but it does happen. Might be worth giving her a lay box just to see if it settles her.

Back