• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Winter's coming..

Spookshow baby

Hi all!
I just got my very first cornsnake. I read that I must cool the terrarium for the winter. Until now I have always had snakes that come from tropical areas so I have no idea of how to do it.
Anyway, I don't know how to get the temperature low enough (I live in an apartment where we got heating and all that stuff, and the room temperature is always above 20 degrees celcius so it doesn't help to shut down the heating mat only). So how to get the temperature in the terrarium to drop so that the snake gets the message to go and sleep?
And how long should I keep it that way?
Any information is welcome, help me!!!

Last edited:
That is really only nessasary if you are breeding them in the spring. Otherwise just go as normal, but i could be wrong and people will correct me :)

You don't have to cool your snake for the winter. You can keep him/her warm and feed as normal. People do this in order to mimic their natural cycle for breeding. It also helps with freeing up some time and helping lower the food bill if you have a large collection:D It's important to only brumate snakes that are in good health and of a good weight. It is difficult to do if you don't have a cool place to put him/her. If you have a room that you can block the heat from, that would be a start.

it's definately wise not to brumate snakes when they are very young as they will be very small and so not at their peak of good health. However, I've heard people say that they cool their adult snakes every winter. This isn't necessary, it's just a personal choice. I wouldn't do it unless I was going to breed that snake the following spring.

Hey everyone, I am hopeing to breed a couple of my females in the spring and I have a similar situation like Spookshow Baby.
I am in an Apt and dont have alot of control over the heat.
Any ideas?
Also do I need to fatten them up (so to speak)
When do I start cooling them down?

Jimmy C.

Yeah, you'll need to feed them a bit more for several weeks before brumation to make them gain a little weight to see them through the 2-3 months with none. In your situation, I'd just turn off their heat and keep them in a dark and as cool a place as you can find. According to the manual, 7-18 C degrees are good temps for brumation.

He's about 3-4 years old now (I got him from my neighbour) and I think he's too small for that age.. he's very slim and about 70cm long. He sheds every month but shouldn't he be bigger by now?
I think the one that sold him hasn't fed him enough or something. So now we feed him once a week with 2 large rat babies to get him grow =)
So you think he's too young to hibernate?

Back