• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I want to feed my corn live?!

Soooo... OP, did you acomplish your mission? if you know you are just gonna start a fued than doent post anything, and not just you but everyone on the site. the truth of the matter is that if you are truly well versed in rasing snakes then the answer to your question should be simple. if you know whats good and best for your snake then make an informedm decision. As for everyone else, never have i seen such a comotion over something so small and pointless. let him feed his snake what he wants and you feed yours what you want. so please can we stop with this stupid thread and go back to what really matters...our snakes

Said very well, and yes my decision has changed. Sorry for the feud this thread has caused. Sorry to bring this up but the guy that complained about his corn having a parasite after feeding live once, you said you do the fecal check annually. To my knowledge he could have gotten the parasite from a number of things and you don't no for sure it was the live feeding, it could have been the frozen one, depending how long it's out for and other things. That's all I had to say cause I thought that remark was very unintelligent.

I had to laugh here, I pick one snake and run a fecal annually, and the only time it has ever come up positive was after a snake has eaten ONE live mouse, from a VERY reputable source.

Sorry to bring this up but the guy that complained about his corn having a parasite after feeding live once, you said you do the fecal check annually. To my knowledge he could have gotten the parasite from a number of things and you don't no for sure it was the live feeding, it could have been the frozen one, depending how long it's out for and other things. That's all I had to say cause I thought that remark was very unintelligent.

Go and re-read.

A- you got Cathy's gender wrong.

B- the other snakes have been fed F/T mice from the same company for years with negative fecals. The *one* time *one* snake was fed live, the fecal done later was positive.

You thinking that remark unintelligent shows that you need to slow down when reading and not skim so that you do not miss what is *actually* being written.

Just saying it could possibly be a c

However, it is terribly unlikely that snakes fed from the same source for years without parasites would suddenly have only ONE of their number develop parasites and oh my isn't that odd it was the only snake that was given a live mouse?

No, sorry, that's an enormous stretch.

Well I'd just like to say thank you everyone for te contributions as it has given me some much needed knowledge, also can we please end this thread here as I believe enough has been said, thanks again!

Freezing the food source kills the parasites. That is why snakes fed frozen mice do not get parasites from them. That is why you risk infesting your snake with parasites if you feed a live or FK mouse or rat. It is quite common for snakes to get parasites from wild, live reptiles and amphibians that they are fed, too.

Said very well, and yes my decision has changed. Sorry for the feud this thread has caused. Sorry to bring this up but the guy that complained about his corn having a parasite after feeding live once, you said you do the fecal check annually. To my knowledge he could have gotten the parasite from a number of things and you don't no for sure it was the live feeding, it could have been the frozen one, depending how long it's out for and other things. That's all I had to say cause I thought that remark was very unintelligent.

I'm a gal first of all.

Second, it's unlikely the pinworms came from anywhere but the one live mouse he ate. Possible? Sure. However, I am very careful with my F/T, they don't get left out for longer than it takes to heat them.

He's on bedding that spends a few nights in the freezer before going into his enclosure as well, and I'm borderline neurotic about quarantine with any new animals that come in. So....where might the pins have come from?

Ah well I was unaware with the precautions you take, I have heard that some parasites last through a freeze although it is rare, I don't no if it's true but it's what I've heard. Sorry about the gender mix up btw :)

My father in law feeds live and you will never change his mind. My husband thinking like his dad (hunting, natural, exercise) thought it would be best, we did it once. His snake got bit while supervised and dangling the mouse so he could grab the mouse by the nose. He then agreed that frozen was best.

So I don't have anything really to add to this thread but I know here is AZ a parasite vet visit could cost up and even over $200. I am lucky that I was a vet tech so I can have a friend that works at a lab, look at poop then I just call one of the doctors that I worked for and they are willing to look up doses and get me meds. But I know my sister in law has paid over $200 for a parasite visit, med, and recheck. And she pays $150 per snake for just a well visit. I am sure that it is because he is one of the few strictly reptile vets in my area but it is insane. I will not got see him as long as I have other resource and don't have too.

Well, I love my vet so I don't mind paying for his expertise and _time_. I never feel rushed when I am there.

Well I've read and skimmed through some posts. To the OP I'm glad that you changed your mind. I am against live feeding if it can be avoided. But I'm not going to harp on anyone who does feed live. Just know that to only do it because you are curious might come back to haunt you (it still bothers me to think about). It's not a pretty sight and it's not pleasant to hear either. I've seen a live pink being eating and it screamed until the end even though it was constricted first (it didn't die). I've seen a live rabbit being eaten by a python. Not only did the rabbit scream in pain but you could hear it's bones cracking and popping.

As for the whole vet thing. I would love if there were a vet that would only charge like $15 just to see my snake. Anything other than a cat or dog is considered exotic by all the vets I've tried (4 places so far) and they all charge sky high prices for exotics! It cost me $79 when I brought my snake it to have it sexed. The vet didn't even sex it. Told me she didn't know how. Still got charged for it. I paid $750 to have my rabbit spayed. So, I can believe $200 to deworm a snake or whatever.

It really is unfortunate for vet bills to be more expensive then the pet itself, unfortunately in my case if he gets sick before i get a real job (after university) which is in 4 years then I will most likely have to give him away to someone who will to pay it due to such high costs. Of course I would give a look to vets around here first and find out prices. It saddens me to be honest but it does give me more of a reason to be vigilant and ensure proper care is done to make sure that never happens!

No worries. :) If I didn't think my snakes could get parasites from another source, it would be pretty silly of me to get them checked at all, LoL.

It really is unfortunate for vet bills to be more expensive then the pet itself, unfortunately in my case if he gets sick before i get a real job (after university) which is in 4 years then I will most likely have to give him away to someone who will to pay it due to such high costs. O

If someone cannot pay for the care of their pet, they should not have gotten the pet in the first place.

I hate the way so many people seem to selfishly acquire animals only to give them up as soon as any problems or financial burdens arise.

P.S.- (I know this is mean, but I've read this entire thread and it's been torturing me...) Can you spell "spell check"?

Oh, come on. Auditing someone's spelling skills does nothing to solidify your argument.

Nor does auditing my financial situation.

Although I love my snake and will do everything I can to ensure it stays healthy if I simply can't afford to bring him back to full health I will do everything I can to ensure he does even if its not with me. I dont think thats selfish at all.

There's one problem:

Why would anyone want to adopt an ill snake and take on those medical bills when they could get a healthy one for less money?

Pets should not be 'fair weather' purchases. By your thoughts, I should have re-homed my dog the first time he got sick. It would have saved me some $10k in medical bills. But it would have then either fobbed that cost onto someone else, OR Kumo would have been euthanised. The latter is most likely.

Back