• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I heard the MOST annoying thing about Corns....

ohh believe me there is proof that he doesnt exist :) everyone who believes is to afraid to admit it cause they can't stand the fact they are just going to rot when they die, instead of a new life or going to heaven etc.

Since time began, people FAR more intelligent than you or I will ever be have debated this.

If it were possible to prove EITHER way, there would never again be an argument.

I can't PROVE He exists, and you can't PROVE He doesn't.

That is an undeniable fact.

And it would be very arrogant of either of us to claim to be smarter than the millions of people who have lived for thousands of years before us who couldn't prove what you claim to have proof of.

Just as I will never tell anyone I can prove He does exist. If the great men of God in the Bible couldn't PROVE God's existence, nor could the great men of faith throughout the age of the Church, who am I to claim to do what they couldn't?

ohh believe me there is proof that he doesnt exist :) everyone who believes is to afraid to admit it cause they can't stand the fact they are just going to rot when they die, instead of a new life or going to heaven etc.

Kevin, why do I need to believe you? If there is proof that he doesn’t exist show me so I can be a certain as you. What proof do you speak of? Don’t tell me what I’m afraid of or why I believe what I believe. Please prove it to me.

I wouldnt worry about it, God doesnt exist, and in no possible way COULD he exist. Sorry, tell your parents they believe in man-made words to describe the sun.

Ok.. Here is what i see.. How could anything have been created to even make the big bang? In the end something has to be created by someone. The stars and the planets to make the earth in all of the atheist theory's needed to come from somewhere. I don't think they just popped out of nothingness. Heck, i don't think nothingness just made itself. IT ALL STEMS BACK TO SOMETHING HAVING TO BE MADE BY SOMEBODY OR SOME THING THAT IS INTELLIGENT. And don't tell me that man became as smart as he is just by random chance, that we developed all of our technology just from meer randomness... There is a very complex and intelligent making to our... Everything. The fingerprint of an intelligent being is on everything. Complex cycles and systems, that hold the whole world together are not complete random chances of luck.

Kevin, why do I need to believe you? If there is proof that he doesn’t exist show me so I can be a certain as you. What proof do you speak of? Don’t tell me what I’m afraid of or why I believe what I believe. Please prove it to me.
Wade raised a good issue with this post. Right on wade!

Actually, I will never beleive that. I KNOW the truth...100% positive and sure. I can prove it with my life, how blessed I have been, and how God has worked it in :)

Here's a funny thing. Before I decided that christianity was not the right path for me, I was wracked with nothing but fear that I would do something wrong somehow and end up being sent to hell. I remember being 5 years old and crying myself to sleep as I prayed. I was stressed, and angry all the time.

Every since going down my own spiritual path, my life has been blessed. I have a good career, my relationship with many relatives has improved, I find joy and beauty in my life. I am with a man who loves me and whom I love.

This proves to me, 100%, that a good life full of blessings is not dependent upon the Christian God. And in fact is sometimes better without. Indeed, I have had it 100% proven to me that what brings blessings to a life is following the correct path for that *individual*, be it christianity, judaism, islam, hinduism, jainism, paganism, or atheism. All are valid paths.

Besides, I've always hated circular logic. "The bible is right because it says it's right!"... but so does Hinduism and Shinto, both of which are far older. No religion is going to say "Follow this one... It's WRONG!"... So all you have to go on is the unsupportable promise.

Thus, agnosticism for me. "There might be something. Might not. If there's an after life, I have a pleasant surprise. If not, oh well."

IT ALL STEMS BACK TO SOMETHING HAVING TO BE MADE BY SOMEBODY OR SOME THING THAT IS INTELLIGENT.

And who made that something or someone, and where did that something or someone exist before the universe.

If something HAD to have made the universe, then something HAD to have made the somebody or something that is intelligent enough to create a universe.

Which is why I consider the most absurd thing in the universe... to be the fact that it exists at all. It makes it that much more amasing to realise that the existence of existence pretty much makes no sense.

:3 I love my absurd universe.

the existence of existence pretty much makes no sense.

I love your point of view, probably because mine is much the same.

It is one of those things that can pretty much put me in a zen like trance. Imagining the existence of existence.

Along with trying to 'remember' what the world was like before I was born...that one can knock me right out when I want it to :laugh:

Kind of along the lines of "if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it...."

its fine. Case Closed. Im not trying to start an argument. BACK TO THE TOPIC!

What was the point again? Hmmm.... Oh THAT'S right!!!

animal-picture-panda-bear-ucumari.jpg

"And the panda said 'Let there be water. And there was. And it was good.'"

Hence where faith comes in. I've dont some horrid things in my short life. I've fallen very short of the grace of God. and as much as i would like to run to another religion that accepts my sin as normal... i cant. I respect all religions and believes. my best friend is a Pagan.. my father is Agnostic and my brother is Atheist. My girlfriend is half Native American and has a spiritualist way of looking at life. yet we all coexist somehow..I took what I believes was the most important part of scripture and tried to convey that in my life... Love, not a lusty love.. but what love really is.. caring for friends.. for family.. even strangers.. love for the beautiful world around me and everything in it. to appreciate the finger prints of God I find in the grass and the trees. on the animals reptile fish mammal or bug. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves."
-- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and thats all there is to it. respect others for there faiths.. but be strong in your own.

Man, I finally check this thread and it's been thrown to the Pandas.

I keep all options open, and I do believe in god. Not a christian god, or any other religious tie. I just feel that life is too precious, and couldn't possibly be some random evolution of organisms. Whether that means heaven is a real place, god only knows. I feel that I have a spirit, and my body is just the tool that keeps me bound to earth. When I die I want to be at peace, but the love of my family and those who have positively influenced my life will always exist somewhere.

As for snakes being devilish, I know that to be false, and can't accept the word of any religion that would believe that particular statement. God seems universal among all spiritual groups, but certain stigma's and beliefs are exclusive to religion. Some indigenous tribes find snakes sacred, others claim they are the symbol of evil. I believe they are sacred, as all creatures are. They are acutely adapted for survival, and are amazing animals that express the most remarkable features that living creatures possess.

Okay, I think I got something for everybody, my beliefs:
Snakes aren't trashy, trashy people are.
Some people don't like snakes for different reasons, too bad.
When your body dies your brain stops working. So what? Get over it.

Good Golly! This thread turned into a whopper didn't it? Emily, you stated that you were angry because your family was using religion as a way to debase you and your love of snakes. We all backed you up in agreeing that was wrong. They even stated you were "trashy" for owning a snake. Again, backed you up on that! But then you twisted it around to make it sound like everybody was attacking your family and your religion when in reality you kindda asked for it,didn't you? I'm confused? And if you do take the Bible as literally as you state,then really you should be believing the same things as your family members. Right? Again, color me confused.
There are a lot of things in the bible that you just cannot take literally in this day in age. Seriously. Think about it. If we did, then right now,I'd be sleeping on a bale of hay in my barn with dogs and cats because I'm "unclean" right now and my husband wouldn't be allowed to touch me. And every time my husband said another woman was cute or hot then he'd be an adulterer,right? Or for that matter,I guess so would I. I concieved our son out of wedlock and never asked for forgiveness for that and never will. Does that mean I'm going to hell? Nah! I doubt it. My son is one of the best things that's ever happened to me and I have no intentions of believing that I need to be "forgiven" for having him. And I'm a Christian,too! I just choose not to take things sooo literally. You can't in this day and age. It's impossible! For years I was a Pagan and for years I was an agnostic. Heck,I'm whatever makes me feel good inside! And that's all that should matter. Is that people are happy and feel good about themselves,right?

Just a thought... Emily hasn't responded all day. Maybe she was out or maybe she's decided that we'll all have to agree to disagree or perhaps she got offended and left. Why not give her the benefit of the doubt and let this thread just die instead of piling on? I'm sure that she was just venting when she started the thread, but didn't expect people to attack her family - even if mildly. That's why she rose up in defense of them and their beliefs. We're all different, but I think most of us would defend our loved ones too - no matter how wrong (or right) they might be.

I just think that she's new and we should grant her some "understanding" - without giving up our own principles or requiring her to give up her own of course.

Just my thought... Hopefully some of you share it with me. :)

Since time began, people FAR more intelligent than you or I will ever be have debated this.

If it were possible to prove EITHER way, there would never again be an argument.

I dislike this approach... why should we believe that was are less than those who came before us? That simply assures that we won't make any effort.
I see no reason why I should consider myself less intelligent than people came before me.
Once, people thought the world was flat- every generation made contributions to the general progression of mankind, in all fields.

To me it simply sounds like an excuse... if they didn't manage to figure it out, I probably won't either.
Meh,
Dare to dream, is all I am saying. That's how discoveries are made.

Beyond that though, I totally agree with Fred here. Though I don't see why she should end up being offended... No one here at least from what I saw, was sniping at her.

She believes A, some believe B, some C... as long as it is discussed in a polite manner... no one can take responsibility for how she decides to take it.

Is it counter productive that I responded... eh, maybe. But I had to respond to that quote there.

Now I am shooshing :)

Okay, I think I got something for everybody, my beliefs:
Snakes aren't trashy, trashy people are.
Some people don't like snakes for different reasons, too bad.
When your body dies your brain stops working. So what? Get over it.
Alan.......I like you too much! I'll rep you for this as soon as my rep-power comes back!

Back