• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I want to feed my corn live?!

If someone cannot pay for the care of their pet, they should not have gotten the pet in the first place.

I hate the way so many people seem to selfishly acquire animals only to give them up as soon as any problems or financial burdens arise.

P.S.- (I know this is mean, but I've read this entire thread and it's been torturing me...) Can you spell "spell check"?

I just adopted a kitten in April. I'd waited years to finally get a cat, but due to a housing situation (roommate allergic) I never could. Two weeks after acquiring Ainsley, we noticed him limping and reluctant to jump or run. I thought he'd broken his leg. It turns out he had a genetic condition where his kneecap is shaped incorrectly and dislocates and he couldn't "pop" it back in. The original vet told us surgery would be $1200 - which is well beyond my means to afford, and if I didn't get help from the animal shelter and a very nice vet (who did the surgery for a fraction of the cost) I would've had to surrender him as much as it would've broken my heart!

Was I selfish to get a kitten without having $1200+ in the bank? Maybe? I don't know. To me it sounds like the OP is in a similar financial situation, but luckily he is taking the steps to learn how to care for his snake in the best way possible and has decided not to feed live (which will help avoid any costly vet bills!)

Good luck with your snake Checkers :)

Oh, come on. Auditing someone's spelling skills does nothing to solidify your argument.

I wasn't saying that to solidify my argument, but I don't think people take into consideration how their poor presentation (lack of grammar and proper spelling) de-solidifies their own arguments.

I just adopted a kitten in April. I'd waited years to finally get a cat, but due to a housing situation (roommate allergic) I never could. Two weeks after acquiring Ainsley, we noticed him limping and reluctant to jump or run. I thought he'd broken his leg. It turns out he had a genetic condition where his kneecap is shaped incorrectly and dislocates and he couldn't "pop" it back in. The original vet told us surgery would be $1200 - which is well beyond my means to afford, and if I didn't get help from the animal shelter and a very nice vet (who did the surgery for a fraction of the cost) I would've had to surrender him as much as it would've broken my heart!

Was I selfish to get a kitten without having $1200+ in the bank? Maybe? I don't know. To me it sounds like the OP is in a similar financial situation, but luckily he is taking the steps to learn how to care for his snake in the best way possible and has decided not to feed live (which will help avoid any costly vet bills!)

Good luck with your snake Checkers :)

The OP said if his snake "got sick" before he "got a job" he would have to rehome it. The conversation was previously regarding parasites and fecal tests, which is the kind of thing I was referring to. In my opinion, that is different than a genetic problem requiring expensive surgery.

Unexpected happens that you can't always pay for, yes. Had you not been able to afford a vet visit at all (or a spay/neuter or his shots) then yes, you should wait until you can afford it. That is just part of being a responsible pet owner.

Unexpected things like in your case are beyond our control, but the need for occasional vet visits should be expected and considered when purchasing an animal. Obviously you were able to take him to the vet to get that diagnosis, making you a responsible pet owner. I'm sorry to hear about your kitten, I hope everything worked out well for you! :)

Unexpected things like in your case are beyond our control, but the need for occasional vet visits should be expected and considered when purchasing an animal. Obviously you were able to take him to the vet to get that diagnosis, making you a responsible pet owner. I'm sorry to hear about your kitten, I hope everything worked out well for you! :)

Sorry, I missed the part about the OP needing to get a job before he could go to the vet for basic tests! That is quite a different situation. Ainsley is getting better every day and he should be 100% within a few weeks. :) Thank you!!

Well I will be getting a job in a weeks time, I'm already hired, so it was a short span in which I wouldnt be able to afford it. And I'm sure many people can attest to just wanting a pet that they really want so bad they just can't wait to have it.

I agree with bob can this get deleted or something?

Well I will be getting a job in a weeks time, I'm already hired, so it was a short span in which I wouldnt be able to afford it. And I'm sure many people can attest to just wanting a pet that they really want so bad they just can't wait to have it.

I agree with bob can this get deleted or something?

But in that case, you are being selfish and putting your wants over the animal's possible needs. Getting a pet, any pet with no job to pay for basic care if needed, is very irresponsible.
Methinks little Checkers has lost the straw draw here.....

I wasn't saying that to solidify my argument, but I don't think people take into consideration how their poor presentation (lack of grammar and proper spelling) de-solidifies their own arguments.

Honestly, I don't think a forum is the place for critiquing spelling or grammar. Furthermore, I don't think there is a single setting were ridiculing someone's writing skills is appropriate. To me, it seems like a less hostile way of calling someone stupid. Perhaps that wasn't your intent at all, but that's how I perceive those sorts of statements.

I truly don't mean to be rude to you, Katie, nor do I hope there are any hard feelings.

Honestly, I don't think a forum is the place for critiquing spelling or grammar. Furthermore, I don't think there is a single setting were ridiculing someone's writing skills is appropriate. To me, it seems like a less hostile way of calling someone stupid. Perhaps that wasn't your intent at all, but that's how I perceive those sorts of statements.

I truly don't mean to be rude to you, Katie, nor do I hope there are any hard feelings.

I wasn't critiquing or ridiculing his spelling or grammar. I mentioned it because it's hard to read through and I personally find it annoying. I do believe it removes value from what someone is saying, especially when they are trying to argue a point. If they do not take the time and effort to clearly and properly present their point, it makes me less likely to put it the time and effort to clearly and properly understand that point. If they don't care enough, why should I?

OP said in previous posts that he didn't want to come across as a **** teenager. That is another reason why I made that statement, because in my opinion, poorly structured posts can have that effect. (I'm not bashing teenagers here at all.)

I didn't mean to cause offense, only to point out that if you want to be taken seriously, you should present yourself seriously. No hard feelings here. :)

I just wanted to chime in and say the one time I fed live, I cried.
I don't have the stomach for it.

I don't think that there are any precautions to take... a fuzzy probably can't fight back.

But in that case, you are being selfish and putting your wants over the animal's possible needs. Getting a pet, any pet with no job to pay for basic care if needed, is very irresponsible.
Methinks little Checkers has lost the straw draw here.....

OK hows this, I think you should not be judging someone you don't no, or calling me selfish. On another note I apologize for not being a good pet owner like you by having extra money in my bank to deal with the unexpected. As much as I love my corn, it is a pet and I feel a pet living in captivity has a privilege that most animals do not receive. Especially being fed, and housed so cautiously as I have done. I am not saying it doesn't deserve for me to take full care of it, but I will to my best of abilities, and if it lived in the wild it would not receive these luxuries. I don't mean to offend people on this at all, as we all share a love for our pets but I believe that a pet is just that, a PET. Also if this snake lived with a breeder or pet store instead of me, I can almost guarantee that he would not receive the same care/attention and would most likely be euthanized in this situation. So before trying to make me feel like an asshole for not having money to care for the worst, think about what your saying.

An example for you: A car, if it costs you more then its worth, why keep it? Most people will throw it out and buy a new one. Although an animal is much different as you grow attachments and it is a living thing it is basically the same concept. I'm sure most people without an extreme amount of money or love for their animal would not spend 3,4, maybe 5 times the amount to keep it alive especially since it could always get sick again. The people that would do that have an EXTREME love for their animal and it isn't wrong to have that love but not everyone does have it and those without the extreme love shouldn't be criticized for it. You can't criticize people that are different then you, that's not how the world works!

Sorry to burst your bubble.

And saying I lost the straw draw here just makes you sound extremely rude and like this is a battle you have won. This isn't a war, I just feel that this thread should finish because it is becoming a pointless battle of conflicting views and those who keep this thread going are bothering those who don't want to receive notifications or be bothered by our discussion, not saying I'm not one of those people but I believe I have the right to contest against anything negative said about me whether it be in real life or online.

Treating a living being like a piece of furniture is a really callous thing. It is ALIVE. A car is not.

Although an animal is much different as you grow attachments and it is a living thing it is basically the same concept. I'm sure most people without an extreme amount of money or love for their animal would not spend 3,4, maybe 5 times the amount to keep it alive especially since it could always get sick again. The people that would do that have an EXTREME love for their animal and it isn't wrong to have that love but not everyone does have it and those without the extreme love shouldn't be criticized for it. You can't criticize people that are different then you, that's not how the world works!

Sorry to burst your bubble.

guess you didnt read that ...

It isn't an extreme love. I will actually be the FIRST to admit that I don't particularly care for my dog. I "love" him, but it's more a duty-type love at this point. Same way that I love one of my uncles but think he is the biggest egotistical jerk.

I got my dog for $200. Over his so far 4 years of life, I have spent 50 times that amount on him.

Because I bought him.

Because by buying him I made a commitment to care for him.

Because it's the right and responsible thing to do.

A life is not a toy. It's not something you give to the goodwill when it gets a bit worn down. If you truly tire of an animal, then you strive to find it a good home. Not because it is suddenly inconvenient. Not because it's not longer 100% healthy.

Your attitude is why Petunia was surrendered to the vet after her owners lost her for a few days and she was ill once they did. She is now 5 months old
Your attitude is why Rosie was found tied to the door handles due to mild demodectic mange. She is about a year old.
Your attitude is likely why my mom's dog Shelby was at the pound (she was shortly diagnosed with epilepsy). Shels was 7 months old when we got her.
Your attitude is why you see so many craigslist adds for "I got this puppy but I'm gonna have a baby soon so I have to rehome it."

I agree with Shiari, what a terrible attitude!

I don't agree with your attitude and I personally feel that you shouldn't own a pet. Just because they are at your mercy, doesn't mean they don't deserve the best. Also, a pet living in captivity is not living in luxury, no matter how well care for it, sorry.

This is my opinion. I am expressing my opinion. You won't change it, no bubbles have been bursted, sorry.

Also, there is a link on the menu on the top of this page called "Quick Links". Through that link you can click on "Subscribed Threads". Through that page you can stop subscriptions and stop receiving alerts to replies. I suggest everyone tired of this thread use that feature!

Well I applaud both you for putting so much out for your pets. Although I strongly disagree that I shouldn't own a pet, as I care for my pets and give them the attention they deserve and need, and that's more then I can say for most people! You truly just don't understand the point of view I have. I guess being a business major I look at things with finances in high regard. And even if I can't give the pet the help it deserves, I DID say I would do everything in my power to find it the help it needs. Does this make me a selfish person? I don't think so, and I'm sure I'm one of the few pet owners that would go through the trouble to find my pet help! What you don't realize is that you're on a forum with animal lovers and enthusiasts, will everyone on this forum agree with you, probably. Although I bet out of all the pet owners out there, only 50% if not less would do what I would to find my pet help if I couldn't afford it. So before you say I'm a bad pet owner (Which realistically you are implying) get to know me first, and furthermore think of the big picture of animal owners all together and not the people on this forum that keep their pets in such high regard (That is not a bad thing, and I applaud everyone that feels this way and has such a strong dedication for their pet).

So remember before you judge someone, get to know them first because you really sound extremely ignorant in my opinion to be throwing such accusations at me, someone you really don't know.

It isn't an extreme love. I will actually be the FIRST to admit that I don't particularly care for my dog. I "love" him, but it's more a duty-type love at this point. Same way that I love one of my uncles but think he is the biggest egotistical jerk.

I got my dog for $200. Over his so far 4 years of life, I have spent 50 times that amount on him.

Because I bought him.

Because by buying him I made a commitment to care for him.

Because it's the right and responsible thing to do.

A life is not a toy. It's not something you give to the goodwill when it gets a bit worn down. If you truly tire of an animal, then you strive to find it a good home. Not because it is suddenly inconvenient. Not because it's not longer 100% healthy.

Your attitude is why Petunia was surrendered to the vet after her owners lost her for a few days and she was ill once they did. She is now 5 months old
Your attitude is why Rosie was found tied to the door handles due to mild demodectic mange. She is about a year old.
Your attitude is likely why my mom's dog Shelby was at the pound (she was shortly diagnosed with epilepsy). Shels was 7 months old when we got her.
Your attitude is why you see so many craigslist adds for "I got this puppy but I'm gonna have a baby soon so I have to rehome it."

Once again, I applaud you on this, BUT would most pet owners do this? Realistically most pets are not taken care of properly, I do believe those that work at pet stores can second that. As a thread on here has been posted regarding how little owners know about their pets, and the ignorant question they ask pet store employees. I did EXTENSIVE research before I purchased my pet, and really plan on trying my best to ensure it has everything it needs and stays healthy.

Back