• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need Some Advice

None of mine are time-specific on their feeds, personally they get fed when I can fit them into my schedule! There's no reason to think (at this stage) that your new snakes will be any more difficult to get feeding than Rose Red. Now they are recovered, just follow your usual patterns.
The great thing I found about 'boiled' pinks, is that if necessary they can be reheated without going mushy. Maybe give it 3 hours, check, if they aren't inside the snakies yet, just boil a kettle, dunk the pinks again for half a minute, then put back in the feeding tubs. Try not to disturb the babies at all, maybe use eyebrow tweezers to pick out the pinks if you have to. Fingers crossed for you!

If the deli cups are in the cage they are living in, I'd leave it until morning...you can still check to see if they have eaten in an hour or two but otherwise I'd leave them alone. If you fed them outside the cage I'd feed in the cage until they are eating. They may feed right away you never know. I usually feed in the evening but my snakes will eat any time..even my nocturnal arboreal species.

So it has been about 3 hours since I fed them so I checked. L2 ate its pinky and L1 did not.
I will leave L1 in the deli cup (which is in the tub) with the boiled pinky until morning like MegF. suggested.

I'm glad L2 ate, and I hope L1 will also, if it does not I shall have to try a different method in a few days (not sure how long exactly to wait between feeding attempts, I just know not to do it the day after).

Note: For reference L2 was marked a female (the one in the video that was the most responsive) and L1 was marked a male (the one least responsive).

:dancer::dancer::dancer: Great news. I personally wouldn't try another method, yet. Next time offer in exactly the same way you did today, trying lots of different methods can mean a novel experience each time and actually delay the feeding. (Trust me, I had so much help from here with my epic non-feeder Diamond Lil and did so many things wrong with her!)

Oh and I weighted them before feeding (I wanted an accurate starting weight) and they both weigh 5 grams. I am thinking of putting them on a 6 day schedule, what do you guys think?

I have noticed that some snakes REALLY care if the deli cup is covered and dark. I would do that after you reheat. I would also slit the head.

I have noticed that some snakes REALLY care if the deli cup is covered and dark. I would do that after you reheat. I would also slit the head.

Should I cover the tub or just the deli cup? What is the best thing to cover it with? I want to make sure air is still getting in.

Will do next time I check (maybe in another 3 hours or should I leave it longer?)

5 grams really is small...I've had only a very few babies born that weighed 5 grams. Most are around 8. If the deli cup is in the viv I'd just cover the whole viv.

So is this crap wrapped up yet?

Not totally, I have not received my refund. If he doesn't give it to me by tomorrow night, PayPal will get involved (I notified him on Tuesday of this, and he acknowledged it). He promised a refund Friday but has been silent even when asked when I would receive the refund (all except for the "ok" on Tuesday I go t informing him about PayPal getting involved).

I'd cover the deli cup with a washcloth or dish towel or something like that. I think it's helpful if they can't see out at all.

Good news, L1 has eaten as well. I went to check on it, and do what Nanci suggested with covering the deli cup, only to find L1 had already eaten its pinky!!! Now for both to digest, praying for no regurges (as I always do). I will not be messing with these 2 at all for the next 2-3 days.

On a side note, I don't think I will be handling either until they reach 10 grams. I don't feel comfortable handling such small snakes.

I hatch babies all the time that are in the 6ish range. You get used to them, and then forget by the next season! I have a 4 gram baby here that is thriving.

Excellent news! Just stick with the tiny pinks for a while and feed in exactly the same way, you're doing a great job!:cheers:

I'm so happy that the babies ate. And they've gotta be pretty good feeders- this has without a doubt been the most stressful week of their lives, and they probably are still recovering from feeling like crap, so that they still ate?? Good babies!!

Back