• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression Thread - Lilly Getting Down to Business!!

axis1

Fuhgeddaboudit!!!!
After a rough 48-hour period during which I thought my precious snow corn Lilly was sick with an RTI, she began to start laying eggs without having had a pre-lay shed! (This ever happen to anyone else?) Needless to say, I was both pleasantly surprised and horrified that my poor snake seemed to go into premature labor, but after almost 12 hours, her 19 eggs and my little sneaky one seem to be doing fine! (She was still making a slight clicking sound as of last night, but as I mentioned on that previous thread, it may be due to a residue from her substrate or her lay box that I removed earlier after some intense burrowing caused it to get into her nostrils!)

But now that I figured out how to post pics here, I decided to share some of her and the resulting clutch!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    324 KB · Views: 85
You GO girl!

Haven't figured out how to post multiple pix at once so here they are one at a time!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 87
Whatta Clutch!!!!

Results of her efforts! 19 Good Eggs!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 85
Proud (but VERY tired!) Mama!

That's my girl!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 81
Thanx Eavlynn!

Yeah, I'm this case I've been genuinely blessed! The clicking noise she was making prior to her shed is gone! And her nostrils appeared to have cleared. The vet actually suggested a mild tranquilizer! For me!!!

Just curious (still!): if any of those on this forum who have expertise and/or experience breeding corns, have any of you ever had a snake lay fertile eggs without having shed prior to laying them? Her eggs all actually LOOK fine. Also, was it anywhere near normal for Lilly to be laying those eggs with the appearance of a zombie-snake with her mouth looking as if it were literally FROZEN open?

Two strange phenomena I can't get my mind off of!

Yes, it's not usual for a snake to lay without a pre-lay shed, but it happens. I wouldn't do anything about taking her to the vet until after she sheds. I predict she will be completely back to normal. Also, after laying is when I break my rule of never feeding when blue. I feed a small mouse, hopper-sized, maybe, after I take away the clutch, and then on the normal feeding day a few days later, I feed a regular size meal, if she'll take it. She may not- in which case, just wait till after she sheds.

And that look is totally normal, too. Not so much the open mouth, but her nostrils are partially blocked whether from being blue or from nesting, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

Yes, thanx for the advice Nanci! Based on what you told me, I offered her a hopper tonight which she snatched after refusing a full-size mouse yesterday (OK, so I'm NOT the SHARPEST knife in the DISHWASHER, but I'm open to suggestions!).

She drank like a ton of water when I put the bowl near her earlier also but I actually had to gently pick her head up by the neck, sorta, and guide her into it. She must've drank for 2 minutes straight! Poor thing!

I'm soooo thankful that the clicking stopped and that she looks like she's actually making a complete recovery!

Thanx again for your help!

Lilly chomping down on her first post-lay meal, a regular-sized hopper!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    321.7 KB · Views: 59
Lilly's Back to Eating Adult Mice!!!!

After hiding for three days Lilly drank another gallon of water and although her normally RED eyes are clouding up, suggesting an imminent shed, I decided to offer her a mouse due to the length of time she hasn't had one prior to laying eggs on Saturday. She dropped from 478 grams prior to laying her clutch to 319 afterwards!!! Needless to say, she SNATCHED that mouse and constricted it as if she wanted to make SURE it was dead prior to swallowing it in seconds!!

So a positive outcome to a scary and somewhat negative experience and situation! I just want to thank all of you who were supportive and who offered your insight and valuable experience! It will never be forgotten!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 58
Lilly FINALLY shed!

Woke up today to discover a present left for me by my little girl. But it was in abut 8 pieces, which can't be great. Guess it couldn't be avoided, because I DID leave a humid hide for her when I expected her to shed, AFTER her 2 post-lay meals. (I don't add TOO MUCH humidity, like I read here where some say they actually spray the viv down with water, because the heat and moisture are great conditions for respiratory infections and I'm also aware that corns only have one functioning lung!)

But I guess it IS what it IS! At least she finally shed!! (WOW! Waiting for that was like leaving the porch light on for Jimmy Hoffa!!!!) :nyah:

If there's nothing stuck, it may not be pretty, but it worked!

I have one in shed right now and she's just holed up in her humid hide. I miss her. Of the three, Miss Cleo definitely seems the most reclusive when she's in shed. I don't know which of us is happier when she is done!

Forgot to say Lilly is totally beautiful. What an awesome little mama!

Why THANK YOU, Dollysmom, and I'm more than certain if she could speak, Lilly would thank you ALSO, as you have given me extremely valuable advice and guidance toward her care and while she was in a highly vulnerable state! I actually thought I was going to lose her when she was laying that clutch in her zombie-like state, with her MOUTH WIDE OPEN!!! I've NEVER felt so scared for one of my snakes, even when one was obviously mortally ill and literally CIRCLING THE DRAIN!!! YIKES!!!!:crying:

Perhaps it's 'cause my Lilly has been with me for 8 years and since she was a hatchling who took her FIRST pinky from my fingers, striking it and trying to clumsily constrict it, as if it were trying to get away! LoL!! An intuitive & evolutionary trait she continues to this day, sometimes nosing a mouse, as if she was trying to wake it up just to KILL it ALL OVER AGAIN!! This even despite the fact that she has NEVER been given a LIVE rodent (Shhh! We won't tell her!!).

But thanx again and HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!! :fullauto::devil01::madeuce:

Awww. I love their little snakey ways. 8 years is a long time! She sounds like a total love.

You have a good Memorial Day, as well!

Back to Normal!!

Wow! I guess those of you who predicted that Lilly would be back to her old self were right on the money!! At 334 grams (up from her 319 grams following the clutch she squeezed out on 5/21), she took this 32 gram mouse easily! I'm not one for weighing my snakes and prey routinely, but in her case, I thought it would be appropriate. She was actually in a vulnerable and precarious state and I'm glad I was wrong when I thought she was circling the drain! I really appreciate all of the info and support the members of this community have given me and my sneaky ones!!!!

Thanx again!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 29
Glad to see her looking so strong and chowing down!

Thanx Dollysmom!! Yeah, she ate that mouse so fast she didn't even taste it!! I think I can get back to regular feeding for her soon. Maybe I'll feed her 10 days from now and then every two weeks after that (that will complete my gradual feeding schedule for her). She still has to get a lot of weight back. That's one thing I didn't take into consideration when I was cohabbing all those years. She was producing clutches every year and I was ignorant of what a female snake goes through. They say hindsight is 20-20, but even Ray Charles coulda seen that!!!

Oh well, live & learn!!

Back