• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UPS Gross Negligence

A_Mc

I like shiny things.....
Hi all! :wavey:
First off, let me begin by saying that I am sitting at my home, it's 4:04 pm. I have been waiting for a UPS delivery that was supposed to be here by 1030 this morning. In the package are two cornsnakes...an 04 bloodred female and an 04 pewter female. The temps outside are about 93 degrees and very humid.
Apparently my package (which was sent overnight air with a guaranteed delivery of 1030 this am) is on a truck about 2 hours from here. It has taken me 6 hours and dozens of phone calls to finally find it.:headbang: The hub station where it was delivered to this am at 0830 is a mere 35 minutes away. :realhot:
I contacted the shipper (Nicole from K&N reptiles) to be sure that there were cool packs in with them. She assured me that there are. I am sick with worry over these two little snakes. My husband (who is a police officer) has tracked down 3 UPS trucks so far in our area, and none of them have contained our animals.
I know corns are extremely resilient little creatures, but I feel that this is gross negligence and incompetence on the part of UPS. I am waiting to receive my package before I give them the tongue lashing they deserve. :flames:
Unfortunately, I have had the same experience with Fed-Ex in the past, so I am at a loss as to who to trust to ship my 'babies'.
Hey guys--thanks for listening--needed to vent.
I'll keep you posted.

Well, perhaps your shipper should have used FedEx, since UPS doesn't knowingly ship snakes. If you go tongue lashing UPS for their delayed shipment of snakes, you're more than likely going to have K&N's UPS account closed down. Maybe that's a good thing, but you might want to run it by them before you do so. Again, UPS does not knowingly ship snakes, so you're pretty limited in what type of stink you can make.

And as a side note, this is why I always have shipments held at the stores/hubs if at all possible.

UPS will knowingly ship snakes, they are my main shipper and do so for many other breeders. The package classifies it as an "Exception" in the shipping notes. I even put on the box as you are supposed to "Live harmless snake" and the species name.

Rich Z said:
Neither UPS nor DHL will knowingly and openly accept live harmless snakes in shipments. You run the risk of having your package stopped in transit anywhere along the line if the contents is discovered, and your account cancelled immediately with them.

I have also heard this from several other people who have and do currently ship with UPS. While your UPS store might look the other way, their company policy does not allow the shipment of snakes.

Joejr14 said:
While your UPS store might look the other way, their company policy does not allow the shipment of snakes.
I did not know this...I thought if the box was marked clearly 'Live Harmless Reptiles', they didn't have a problem with it? Just shows my ignorance, I guess.:dunce: I have looked it up on the UPS website, and here is what I found:
UPS Website said:
Shipping Live Animals

UPS provides service on a limited basis for packages containing some types of live animals. The term "animal" as used herein refers to anything living, except plants. While the list of "Accepted Live Animals" provided herein is an exhaustive list of animals that can be offered for transportation in accordance with the conditions listed, the list of "Prohibited Live Animals" is only a partial list of animals provided to clarify specific species that are not accepted for transportation and may not be shipped via UPS. Any animal not specifically listed on the "Accepted Live Animals" list is prohibited by UPS and will not be accepted for transportation.

Packages containing live animals must be prepared in accordance with the requirements as specifically stated herein. Packages containing live animals must provide for the basic humane care and safety of the animal during transportation. Any package containing a live animal shall be considered a perishable commodity and will be accepted for transportation solely at the shipper’s risk for any damage or loss arising from the perishable nature of the item. UPS shall not be liable for any special, incidental, or consequential damages.

In the event a package containing a prohibited item is found en route or in the UPS system, that package will be stopped at the location or UPS facility of the discovery. UPS reserves the right to dispose of the package.
Accepted / Prohibited Live Animals

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)
Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
Worms (All)

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

However, it still doesn't make it better (or really matter at this point). Whether it be snakes or sushi, the package was supposed to be here before 1030. It's 5:26 now and still no package. :sobstory: I even had it shipped to my husband's business address to make it easier for the carrier to find. :shrugs:
Joe, if they allowed pickups at the hub, I would have been there. However, they 'frown upon' people coming to the warehouse. It took me hours to get someone to even come off with the phone number for the place.

yet one more problem with shipping...angelina, this happened not too long ago. and lets just say i hope the outcome is different for you.

and as joe said there is nothing that can really be done if the contents are not..."Well" on the inside. UPS as you now know does not ship snakes....unless they dont know about it. :grin01: hint, hint

I feel for you Angelina, I had to drive 1 1/2 hrs. last week to make sure a snake arrived alive to me even though the address that Fed Ex said was wrong was right. It sucks, but we all have to abide by the shipper's rules on this. Otherwise, we might not be able to ship snakes at all. Unforunately, they've got us all by the short and curly's!

JTGoff69 said:
Unforunately, they've got us all by the short and curly's!
How True!!
Update: The driver finally arrived at 7:15 (a whole 9 hours late, but who's counting?). After AT LEAST 15 phone calls to the Cumberland hub, we were finally told that our package had been 'found'. I will say that the gentleman that we dealt with said that if the snakes were dead, UPS would take full responsibility, and would 'reimburse us for damages'. :shrugs:
Anywhoo.....7:15, and I get the package. I'm in tears by this point because of the high temps, and the extreme delay--Not to mention so completely frustrated that I could scream. :sobstory: :headbang:
I opened the box, removed the styrofoam lid and newspaper packing. It was not extremely hot in the box, but it was warm...and I see 2 sets of eyes peeking up at me from their deli-cups. I took them out, and while they were a little warm, they were active and flicking their tongues.
I then saw what Nicole of K&N Reptiles packed in the box with them that most probably saved their little lives......She had a Gatorade bottle that had water in it. It probably was frozen when it left Louisiana, but when it got here, it was water again. It was wrapped in newspaper and secured so it didn't move around. I doubt a 'cold pack' would have worked so well.
Nicole also called me about 20 minutes after they arrived to check on them, so a big thanks to her!! I'll be posting a thread on the BOI in her favor.
I will keep a close eye on them for the next couple of days, but I think they will be fine. Thanks to EVERYONE for their well-wishes!! I know these stories don't usually end happy, and I'm grateful for everyone's support! :cheers:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't verified shippers through FedEx be 'dropped' at their whim? FedEx's policy is not to ship snakes as well, and those that are verified through them are 'exceptions to the rule' . . . ?

Angelina I hope they come through for you, keep us posted!

D80

D80, the policy you are citing is pretty old. FedEx now officially ships reptiles for those of us who have jumped through their hoops and are issued a contract by the corporation. It is business to business (or business to hub;) ), but at least it is completely on the up & up.

Joe, what's sad about a gatorade bottle? It would absolutely be more effective than the "professional" ice packs I use.

Joejr14 said:
A frozen gatorade bottle? You're kidding me? That's sad.
It may be sad, Joe...but in this instance, it worked? :shrugs: It wasn't a big bottle...it was a small--let me look------------------20oz bottle (hey..it was 'Frost' Gatorade --what a coincidence--)!
I honestly think that cool packs would have succumbed (along with the snakes) in the heat, and with the delay.
I have been told recently that sponges, soaked in water and frozen--then placed in a ziplock bag with newspaper for insulation works well, too.??

Better than nothing though Joe, from Louisiana to W. VA isn't really that far. I'm sure she wasn't counting on this type of delay. Thank goodness they arrived OK.

Glad to hear your new arrivals are ok. I jumped the gun when I skipped ahead and saw the word 'dead' and I had to take a second and read it fully. Hope your little guys are happy in thier new homes!! :)

A_Mc said:
It may be sad, Joe...but in this instance, it worked? :shrugs: It wasn't a big bottle...it was a small--let me look------------------20oz bottle (hey..it was 'Frost' Gatorade --what a coincidence--)!
I honestly think that cool packs would have succumbed (along with the snakes) in the heat, and with the delay.
I have been told recently that sponges, soaked in water and frozen--then placed in a ziplock bag with newspaper for insulation works well, too.??

No doubt it worked, it's just unprofessional. Hot and cold packs are not that expensive and there's really no reason not to use them. When Kathy sent me snakes in Feb she used a warm pack that was hot until later that evening, so I'm sure colds packs would have worked. I do wonder how long the gatorade bottle stayed frozen.

I know understand fully why they call you the GBB. A_Mc's happy at his delivery and you start to moan about a bottle of something I've got no idea what it is. Although I agree it does seem unprofessional, but if it worked, it worked.
A_Mc glad your snakes are OK, and hope they do great.

Shipping

Just for kicks, I had two snakes shipped to me last month when the temps were in the 90s. They had a cold pack in the box and were picked up from the sellers location at 7pm, arrived at my house exactly at 10:30am the next day and the cold pack was no longer a cold pack, it was basically warmer then room temp. I dont think a gatorade bottle is unprofessional if it does the job. A cold pack didnt stay cold enough to even keep the snakes cool the entire time in transit. Im just thankful they arrived on time and both snakes were in great condition!
Congrats on your two new snakes and its unfortunate that UPS allowed that type of ignorant service.

Here in Sweden we don't need to worry about it getting to hot very often (it's a positive problem!) but a method my friend uses which I will use when the need arrises is to put the snakes in their 2 litre sized tubs with airholes in an esky (what us Aussies call those plastic coated styrofoam picnic food carriers) and then puts a couple of soda bottles of warm water in to keep everything toasty. Those heat packs rely on a chemical reaction which uses oxygen from the air and although reptiles are more resistant to hypoxia, there's still the chance of the oxygen being depleted enough to possibly kill the snakes and they can get too hot.

Joe, I don't think there's anything sad about using a recycled gatorade bottle as a cool pack. The point here is did it work?....the answer is the only important part there.

Back