• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first hateling

Iulia

Picked up a cute little miami girl at the Doncaster expo at the weekend.

Put her in a bigger box on arrival. Left for 48 hours except to check the water.

Opened the box ...

well

she came out like a cobra!!!! snap snap snap

same again today. Doesn't latch on, just full open mouth whap to let me know she has teeth (except she doesn't)

mental case :D:D

it just cracks me up

but if that had been my first corn I would never have opened a box again .....

but if that had been my first corn I would never have opened a box again .....

LOL! I would have been the same way had it been my first. One of mine tail rattled after being picked out of the deli cup; that was surprising enough!

I was lucky that my first corn snake was the sweetest baby (and still is!). I've had a couple of bitey flighty babies, and now I think it's funny.

it really makes me laugh - the way she doesn't latch on but just goes an open mouth WHAP at my hand :rofl:

but it did actually give me a little insight into how esp new owners get intimidated by aggressive snakes if they have a larger one that's moody

I'll try - need a second person to photo though.

She did take a pinkie tonight after several abortive strikes (in which she struck, got the pinkie and spat it out to renew attack on me)

:rofl:

when I switched the light off and went out she decided might as well eat it while waiting for something else to bite.

Serious nutter

Not the best pics as doing it one handed with camera

haven't weighed her yet but she is just short of two months old.

Haven't seen attitude like that except adders!!! :D

She's lovely..but doesn't look at all like a miami. Miamis have little (or in the best examples, no) orange in their ground colour.

She was sold as a miami - the light and the camera make her look more orange than she actually is - but she is still a bit orange.

I'll email the breeder and ask - it isn't the end of the world either way I guess, but I did ask if she would have the grey colouration when older and he said yes - and I don't like things being sold as something they are not ...

:shrugs:

She looks blue! Miamis can have a silver background or pale tan, with most people preferring silver. The orange only gets more intense as the snake gets older. Your baby will never have a silver background. Are you sure the breeder didn't say Okeetee?

She looks blue! Miamis can have a silver background or pale tan, with most people preferring silver. The orange only gets more intense as the snake gets older. Your baby will never have a silver background. Are you sure the breeder didn't say Okeetee?

I wondered tonight if she was about to shed - I might have missed the blue bit when I was leaving her alone. Might explain her foul mood

Got me for a moment as there were okeetees on the table, I wondered if I picked up the wrong one, but checked the box - it was

girl, visual miami, poss het stripe

surely a breeder couldn't put the wrong label on a box???

I have emailed the guy.

I am a bit down now as though I have nothing against normals, I wasn't in the market for one, and was so pleased to have a miami ... :cry:

Thanks for your help and comments everyone.

Well actually I haven't looked at her overmuch, esp in daylight, as the first couple of days I let her settle, then I fed her.

So, a daylight shot. Yeah, pretty orange!!! And still mental. Tagged me five times during this photoshoot ...

I won't pass comment on the breeder yet, as it could be a genuine error and I want to wait to hear from them - in fairness I wouldn't expect anyone to man their business email on Saturday evening. But it seems indeed she is not a visual miami.

It is one thing I find very confusing about corns - and I suppose it just is learning over time - but unless you know the adult morph, it is so hard to judge from the baby what the heck it will grow up to be. And I've never had a 'normal' baby - mine so far were hypo, amel and amber.

So, in glorious daylight colours, my 'not' miami

Love the triangle head too, wicked cool characteristic. I see the black outlines in the saddles too, which made me think possible Okeetee at first as well. Looking at some pics of hatchlings this morning, I'd say it's quite possible. Either way, very cool animal you have.

Thanks - I'm trying not to have a hissy fit until I have managed to speak to the seller, but I can't help wonder how everyone seems to be able to ID this easily except the person who apparently bred her ....

:uzi:

Back