• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding Time For Sir Jumpy Bumpy Green Thing

lefty_mussolini

Start Wearing Purple
When I posted pics of my new Pixie Frog, there was an expressed interest in some pics of him eating a fuzzy. Tonight was feeding night, so I snapped a couple. Enjoy :)

pixfeeda.jpg

pixfeedb.jpg

pixfeedc.jpg

pixfeedd.jpg

pixfeede.jpg

.......and if you scroll from bottom to top, it looks like a regurge.

I'll be here all week, thenkyew, thenkyew.

regards,
jazz

(AWESOME frog, btw.....makes me wish I still had my Pac-Man)

Wicked cool! I know in your last post you mentioned that one bit you at your work...do they hurt when they bite?

Nifty! Thanks for sharing Trevor. =)

jazzgeek said:
.......and if you scroll from bottom to top, it looks like a regurge.

I'll be here all week, thenkyew, thenkyew.
eeewwww :grin01:

ArpeggioAngel said:
Wicked cool! I know in your last post you mentioned that one bit you at your work...do they hurt when they bite?
Yes.... that was unpleasant. I barely got nicked, but it stung pretty bad and wouldn't stop bleeding for a while. I have a cool scar to show for it though :)

lefty_mussolini said:
Yes.... that was unpleasant. I barely got nicked, but it stung pretty bad and wouldn't stop bleeding for a while. I have a cool scar to show for it though :)
Hate to sound dumb, but do they have teeth? Or is it just the pressure? The only frogs and toads I've been around were small garden toads. The kind that pee when you pick them up! Barely palm-sized, and they didn't bite. That thing looks awesome though. Like a vicious Kermit!

Bobo's Mama said:
Hate to sound dumb, but do they have teeth? Or is it just the pressure? The only frogs and toads I've been around were small garden toads. The kind that pee when you pick them up! Barely palm-sized, and they didn't bite. That thing looks awesome though. Like a vicious Kermit!
Thanks, and that's not a dumb question at all. :)
These ain't no garden toads. The African Bullfrog (Pixicephalus adspersus), also known as the Pixie Frog, are very large frogs that eat Insects, Fish, Rodents and Birds. Males can get to the size of a dinner plate. They don't technically have teeth, but they have boney projections from their jaw bones that are tooth like. There are three saw-like projections in the front of the top and bottom jaws.
The jaw pressure is nothing to shake a stick at either. I once saw a Pixie grab the butt end of a mouse during feeding, and the bite pressure made one of the mouse's eyes pop out
The female that bit me at work was about 9 in. (just about top size for a female Pixie.)
In the third pic in this thread, you can see one of the "teeth" on the bottom jaw.

Looking good! How often does SBJGT eat?

George, everything that eats, bites. You just have to watch out.

Nanci

yea i suppose, exept my damien, i think hes a gay, like me, cuzz hes sesetive lol, eather that or hes a girl, well eather way hes cool! and when i got him i remember the shopkeeper did tests on him to see how much he can be wound up before snapping and she flicked him gentally, moved his head the way he didnt wana go and everything and he just liked her and looked at her with his huge big eyes <3!

anyways goodluck with ya froggy

Jdizzyfizzy said:
If they hurt when they bite then whats the pleasure of keeping one?
Dogs could kill you if they decide to bite, but many people find them rather enjoyable. I'd still rather be bite by frogs and snakes and lizards than bit or scratched by a dog or a cat... not to say that I don't have a dog :)
Nanci said:
Looking good! How often does SBJGT eat?
I feed him a fuzzy mouse every 3-4 days and super worms every day that he doesn't get mice. This is a bit of an accelerated feeding schedule though. Most feed their Pixie an appropriately sized mouse once a week.

Cool!

You haven't been bit till you've been bit by a horse...MAN that hurts. Or a parrot- even a little one!

Nanci

I have heard that horse bites are quite nasty. Fortunately, never been on the sampling end of one. Worst bite I ever got was off of a large adult male rat. Very territorial animal, and I was foolish enough to lean my arms on his cage. He slithered up the water bottle and bit me clear to the bone on my middle finger. Ouch! :sidestep:

Trevor, I too love big, fat, toothy and aggressive frogs and toads. I currently have an ornate horned frog (albino) named Banana, and always drool over the regular ones too. I can't say why they appeal to me, because other than when he is eating, I rarely see him.

Hope you don't mind a few questions from me....
1. How big is your frog right now? That looks like a peach fuzzy mouse to me... but I just can't believe it's eating something THAT large. I'm feeding Banana small, gut loaded crickets, with calcium powder... but I wonder if he'd take a pinky?

2. What are you housing yours in? What kind of substrate? Do they require extra heat or light?

3. How big will he be at "full grown" size?

Thanks for the answers Trevor... awesome pics, and glad there's a fellow bruiser frog addict on the board. :santa:

Horse bites hurt ALOT!!!

One tried to eat my bracelet, and managed to get my wrist instead... It was bruised for a week, and stung for two!!!

Cute Bumpy, Trev!!! I want to see him in person!!

What a lovely frog! I'll have to get an update posted on my ornate horned beast soon, mine takes peach mice too!

I have two scars (one on my arm - often mistaken for a small pox scar and one on my chest) from the same Morgan stallion. The first I took the "blame" for, the second one... well, if I hadn't been pregnant and in shock that he did it, I'd killed him, which would have gotten me sued big time :D They definitely hurt, although I was more pissed that the stupid thing destroyed two favorite t-shirts :)

I saw an adult Sir Jumpy Bumpy Green Thing (or is it Sir Bumpy Jumpy Green Thing) at the St Louis show today. Impressive size on the things.

Hypancistrus said:
I have heard that horse bites are quite nasty. Fortunately, never been on the sampling end of one. Worst bite I ever got was off of a large adult male rat. Very territorial animal, and I was foolish enough to lean my arms on his cage. He slithered up the water bottle and bit me clear to the bone on my middle finger. Ouch! :sidestep:

Trevor, I too love big, fat, toothy and aggressive frogs and toads. I currently have an ornate horned frog (albino) named Banana, and always drool over the regular ones too. I can't say why they appeal to me, because other than when he is eating, I rarely see him.

Hope you don't mind a few questions from me....
1. How big is your frog right now? That looks like a peach fuzzy mouse to me... but I just can't believe it's eating something THAT large. I'm feeding Banana small, gut loaded crickets, with calcium powder... but I wonder if he'd take a pinky?

2. What are you housing yours in? What kind of substrate? Do they require extra heat or light?

3. How big will he be at "full grown" size?

Thanks for the answers Trevor... awesome pics, and glad there's a fellow bruiser frog addict on the board. :santa:
My Jumpy Bumpy is about 3 inches right now. The Fuzzy that I fed him in the pics was a small one, but the Fuzzy I fed him a couple of days ago was bigger. You could most likely get your pacman to eat a pinky. It is pretty surprising the food items that these can take. We have some Pacmans at work that are a bit smaller than Sir Jumpy that are taking fuzzies weekly.
I have him in a plastic Critter Keeper with coconut bark substrate that I spray a couple of times a day. He has a BIG water bowl that he spends most of his time in. I do not have any additional heat or lighting on him. they do not require UV lighting, and the ideal temps for Pixies are between 70-80. My room temp stays in that range.
If he is a male, he will get up to 9 inches on average. Females will be around 6 inches.

Back