• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tort Pen Part Four: Skeleton Of A Burrow

Nanci

Alien Lover
I bought the burrow supplies today. Searched forever to find the saw blade- still in my truck. Learned how to cut with a "cut away" blade. It goes through garbage cans like a knife through butter- but sort of scary due to all the sparks. I had to go put on actual shoes and gloves! But I didn't wuss out- I got it done. I find it hard to believe an adult tort could live in this...But we'll cross that bridge in a few years! Notice there is one more course of 4x4's, and the first three are nailed down, but I, unfortunately, think I need one or two more courses still.

Here are the kids in their future burrow:

Attachments

• Tort Pen 023_800.jpg
    Tort Pen 023_800.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 81
Close up: (I'd still be out there enjoying the evening, but my psycho neighbors are doing something out in the woods that they apparently think sounds like calling crows, but in reality sounds like the Dean Scream...) Butters left, Koko right.

Attachments

• Tort Pen 026_800.jpg
    Tort Pen 026_800.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 81
LOL they look like grumpy old men! I would die laughing if you made a picture of them in their fort with you, with the caption "get off our lawn!!!"

Koko munches some succulent grass...

Attachments

• Tort Pen 018_800.jpg
    Tort Pen 018_800.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 81
Demure Buttercup, the Inez of the tortoise world.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Tort Pen 016_800.jpg
    Tort Pen 016_800.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 80
Oh, that scraggly brush pile in the background is the fire pit. I love watching the Mockingbirds perch on those big sticking up branches.

Nanci

That looks great. I am hoping in the future to get some torts for the yard and you're giving me so great ideas.

What do you do for a water source, same as snakes? bowel clean out and refill every two or so days? and are the housed in the pen already?
Oh yeah that wasn"t Dean ..he's up here in my back yard.

Actually, they only need to soak once a week. But I'm going to put in a tiny pool for them and the birds that will visit. Tortoises store water in their bladder and use it as needed- that's why it's so bad if you pick up a wild one and it pees- it's losing its water reserve and who knows when it can replenish. When they drink, they pee out really dark urine.

They aren't out there yet- they need a burrow and shade and stuff before they make the move.

Nanci

Great job Nanci! That encloser is excellent. There is something about a tort that just grabs you. Great looking guys. I have a thing for Russians.
Jay :cool:

I don't know, Elle. These guys will be four in August. They came from a captive colony near Las Vegas originally before being taken to Florida. They might have even come here as eggs. I'd expect by 10 or so they'll be pretty big.

Jay- you know what's really, really cool, and expensive- Pancake Torts. That's what I'd get if I was going to buy one. Greeks are the perfect tort for people who can't build outside- they end up almost box turtle size.

I need to buy some dirt today!

Nanci

Back