• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Looking into the future of ownership

I have been a proud corn snake owner for a year on June 15th! I still just own my lil girl, Abbey. But like I am sure ALL of you know its addicting and hard to have just one. I have about 10 months left of school and then hopefully after that I will be packing my bags and moving onto my own place. Then one day I would like to own probally a few more snakes and breed my own food....not because I think it would be easier but its a hobby and raising animals I have always loved.

My question is I know the best way to learn more about raising any animal is from your own experince. No book or advice can 100% prepare you. But just curious if you could have known 1 thing when you started, had a person give you one peice of advice you didnt know then starting out. What would it be?
Just a fun and hopefully helpful conversation topic.

Few things I wish I'd known up front:

- Buy a stat for your heat source.

- Not all vets who say they know about snakes, actually know about snakes.

- If you throw half your lounge furniture out now, it'll save time wondering how to fit the extra vivs in later.

I'm a reader. When I become interested in getting a new animal I start by buying a couple of books. I'll get on the internet and find a forum like this one. And then I listen. I'm good for a couple of dumb answers ever day here, but I read ever post. I use my experience to sort to Bull from the good info.

Few things I wish I'd known up front:

- Buy a stat for your heat source.

- If you throw half your lounge furniture out now, it'll save time wondering how to fit the extra vivs in later.

This may make me sound like a idiot, which isnt far from what I am lol. But what is a stat?

This may make me sound like a idiot, which isnt far from what I am lol. But what is a stat?

A thermostat, just like the one you'll have in your house/apartment if you have central heating. Just a device to regulate temperature and adjust it when there are changes to the external temperature.

If you haven't got one for your heat source yet, I'd highly recommend you get one. :)

This really is a great topic/request! The single thing I wish I'd been told pertains more to breeding than keeping: Examine your breeding goals THOROUGHLY before making purchases. I used to buy pairs of everything I wanted to produce. This can be ok, but in some ways it can be bo-ring (and expensive). :)

A thermostat, just like the one you'll have in your house/apartment if you have central heating. Just a device to regulate temperature and adjust it when there are changes to the external temperature.

If you haven't got one for your heat source yet, I'd highly recommend you get one. :)

haha....I know what a thermostat is and I have one lol....I feel like a fool...that abb never clicked with me for some reason. Thanks though haha

This really is a great topic/request! The single thing I wish I'd been told pertains more to breeding than keeping: Examine your breeding goals THOROUGHLY before making purchases. I used to buy pairs of everything I wanted to produce. This can be ok, but in some ways it can be bo-ring (and expensive). :)
Glad you liked the idea.

I am interested in breeding, but I too would probally go out and buy everything I want to produce...So you suggest really examine what you want to do rather than just buy on a impulse?

Glad you liked the idea.

I am interested in breeding, but I too would probally go out and buy everything I want to produce...So you suggest really examine what you want to do rather than just buy on a impulse?
Of course I object to impule buying, but my objections have never stopped me! ;) I guess what I mean is that you can buy two blizzards (amel-charcoals) and produce more blizzards. Or you can buy a phantom (hypo-charcoal) het amel and a blizzard het hypo and produce blizzards, phantoms, and charcoals. It's nice to have a little variety in the clutches.

Also be careful not to give all your snake money to FedEx! I don't know how many times I've bought from one breeder only to think things over and buy something else from the same breeder a very short time later. I ended up paying double (sometimes triple :rolleyes: ) shipping when a little proper planning would have saved me a bunch of money...

Of course I object to impule buying, but my objections have never stopped me! ;) I guess what I mean is that you can buy two blizzards (amel-charcoals) and produce more blizzards. Or you can buy a phantom (hypo-charcoal) het amel and a blizzard het hypo and produce blizzards, phantoms, and charcoals. It's nice to have a little variety in the clutches.

Also be careful not to give all your snake money to FedEx! I don't know how many times I've bought from one breeder only to think things over and buy something else from the same breeder a very short time later. I ended up paying double (sometimes triple :rolleyes: ) shipping when a little proper planning would have saved me a bunch of money...
I am against impulse buying but it has led to many a pet for me lol

I am lucky living in Pittsburgh that we have a monthly show about 20 minutes from my house and I can go to alot of the Ohio shows. Gives you a chance to meet alot of local breeders.
I know what you mean about thinking before breeding when it comes to what you can get. I had lovebirds and the mutation were endless. With the right pairing you could get 5 or 6 color possibilities or more!

I'll second that, my friend took his bull snake to a vet who was recommended as a reptile vet, and he told him to feed his snake every day....you wouldn't do that with a healthy snake let alone a sick one.

I'll second that, my friend took his bull snake to a vet who was recommended as a reptile vet, and he told him to feed his snake every day....you wouldn't do that with a healthy snake let alone a sick one.
When I had lovebirds I took one to a 'avian' vet and the first words out of his mouth was "what a cute little cockatiel" first words outta my mouth was "adios amigo"

How to care for yearlings that regurge!!!

( I lost one on really bad advice from the breeder, :headbang: although from the look of him when he was shipped he wasn't eating all that well anyway)

Had another one do that and followed Kathy Love's advice,( w/ grapefruit extract and feed schedule ) and saved that one...still doing great

Thanks Kathy for your assistance and experience :cool:

Back