• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie Question >_0

Crasher_Insane

This is probably a rather unintelligent question for most of you, but do corn snakes keep the coloration they have as a juvenile? The reason I'm asking is I want a bloodred, but I'd really like a juvenile. Will he fade as he ages? If I want a specific color morph should I just go ahead and get an established adult?
Thank you in advance for any and all answers.

Bloodreds are born with a light pattern, which usually completely goes away in adulthood, so yes it will change. The color and pattern of any young snake will change as it gets older, so the smart choice would be to get an adult as you said.

Most snakes change as they age. Bloodreds in particular change quite a bit. They come fairly close to having a uniform color and reduced pattern.

I'll give an example of my oldest blood, Jared, who was a vibrant red with a touch of orange as a juvenile... and now is a carrot colored snake. Pictures are chronological. You can see that his pattern is much much less pronounced than when I got him.

Attachments

• jaredbaby.jpg
    jaredbaby.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Jared01.jpg
    Jared01.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 78
  • JaredDecember08-3.jpg
    JaredDecember08-3.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Jared-2-09-1.jpg
    Jared-2-09-1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 77
As has been said, the pattern/coloration definitely will change as the snake grows. This is actually one of the many reasons I really enjoy caring for snakes. It's really awesome to watch them change over time.

As has been said, the pattern/coloration definitely will change as the snake grows. This is actually one of the many reasons I really enjoy caring for snakes. It's really awesome to watch them change over time.

The only other animal I have found that changes like snakes seem to is the ferret. Their coat and even nose color changes as they shed and age. I love it!

Hm, well this helps out. I didn't expect so many replies so soon. You guys are much more responsive than some other forums I've been to.
I guess I'm getting an adult then. ^_^ At least for my first, as I'm rather picky about how they look. Thanks a lot, everyone!

If you want a specific look in an adult, you're wise to choose a mature snake. They're brightest at about 3-5 years old. Patterns actually do NOT change, with the exception of animals who have the diffusion gene, which is the gene that causes the pattern shift we sometimes call "bloodred."

While shopping, be aware that "bloodred" is sometimes used to describe a particular color phase and/or the gene for diffusion. Not all bloodreds are red, so if that's important to you, be specific in your communications with breeders.

Have fun shopping for your dream snake!

Back