• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eggs laid on Days 428 & 429; sperm retention

Caryl

BrightHope
Those who have noted my hopes for more babies from Artephius, my handsome Diffused Caramel male from Serpenco, may remember me saying that I hadn't bred him in years. I really had my fingers crossed that he was still fertile, and was delighted to get viable eggs from his pairings this year. Turns out I needn't have worried. Also turns out I had forgotten a single lock from last year.

Sceptre, a 2008 Caramel female het Amel, Anery, Hypo, Stripe, was theoretically retired. She's a sweetheart who has been an important matriarch for us. She's also been a classroom pet as well as having attended many educational/outreach events. She was not paired with anybody this year.

Several times before Sceptre had laid infertile eggs when she wasn't bred. I didn't think too much about it when her belly developed that "string of pearls" feeling. When she shed and refused a meal on 24 May, I gave her a nest box and touched base with the vet. Good thing I did.

Late on May 31, I found Sceptre with two slugs and one seemingly fertile egg. She didn't feel done. The next day she laid four more eggs, two of them apparently good. That was a shock. I didn't remember breeding her in 2021, but when I checked my records I rediscovered that she was paired with Artephius for two days and I'd seen a single lock.

Sceptre has had a rough time. I could tell she wasn't feeling well. I could still feel two bumps but they were very high. The first was almost mid-body. When she wouldn't settle after laying and seemed to feel worse, I took her to the vet. She prolapsed. The vet was able to work the tissue back in, and I left with meds and hoped she wouldn't prolapse again.

She did, more than once, then stabilized. She took a small meal and when that worked its way out, she had a bulge near her vent. A swim plus gentle massage and time and she passed a slug on 15 June. The midbody bulge moved down and out, too; another slug.

Tonight she prolapsed again. I was able to reduce it quickly. I really had hoped she was done with prolapse. I'll contact the vet about it tomorrow.

I put the three good eggs into incubation. They've developed veins, though not all evenly. At this point two are in track for hatching. I'm not sure about the other. I've been amazed at this whole thing. I will consider it to be be quite a miracle if I get healthy babies this season from last year's pairing!

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Sceptre and her Day 429 eggs.
c0325d045172a68ad86555c3d9be79c5.jpg

What a gorgeous girl. How old is she? I hope she's ok and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the eggs.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Sceptre is 14 years old. She did seem to be feeling pretty good after laying the two duds last week. I hope the prolapse stay out of sight. I'm thinking she may need to get a purse-string suture. We'll see, I guess.

Continuing incubation. I'm really keeping an eye on these since they're unusual
c6c2e7b8d61115e41ff8e0be5e640349.jpg
d6a744fb54b93ae873b3f871b36943bb.jpg
ec5425939c30f7dbc504e03f0a829774.jpg

The "bump" after her meal. This was the next-to-last slug (at least, I fervently hope so) Two weeks after the first eggs.
5923661a8f806bf2442317c7d46be8fe.jpg

The exterior of #1 is developing spots, something like windows. Still has what like good veins. The veins in #2 are fading. #3 looks great.
bf31c964e65b922dfcabc4e83a1f0df4.jpg
c852a9e53446060d1905b581324ca078.jpg
38ff18c839d4ff4b442c29853b66dbe4.jpg
537956b4ee16255d927fbe03f1def10a.jpg

And, for the record, here's Artephius. I'm happy to say that his babies with Esperanza are currently hatching. His clutch with Princess Irene is due about the end of June or early July. Then there is this unusual trio with Sceptre.

I have known intellectually that females can store sperm and use it to fertilize eggs in a subsequent year. Like most things in life, comprehending it and living through it are different. It's been three weeks since these eggs appeared and I'm still shaking my head in wonder.
5c716d277447123dd6f755e0ecd382f3.jpg

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing your experience in such detail. It's a perfect summation of what newbies may experience for the first time and longtime breeders may have seen may times over. I'm also glad to hear you have a vet on standby. Too many people breed snakes without the awareness of the MANY complications that can/do occur. It is best to always be prepared for the worst.
I hope Septre requires no further medical attention and can live out her retirement in good health. I'm looking forward to hearing the conclusion of this breeding event.
Thanks,
Terri

Thank you, Terri. I do hope this will be useful for others. It's a sad fact that too many people who have snakes and other exotic pets don't realize that finding a vet for them may be a challenge. While an emergency is happening is NOT the time to search for veterinary care.

If you're reading this and you don't know where you'd take your snake, you can look here:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/

This is the website for the Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians. Please take the time to find a vet before you need one. Keep that doctor's (or practice's) number in your contacts, your address book, wherever you or a partner can find it in case of emergency.

Sceptre seems to be doing well. Her body condition is good, and I'm VERY happy that she isn't prolapsing again. She appears to feel pretty much her normal self. She's out and about in her bin, behaves normally when I take her out to check her over. She's still on newspaper and getting small meals to avoid undue risks while she's healing but I'm hopeful all will be well. Fingers crossed!

Thanks, Frank! I will try and update weekly or thereabouts. So far, Egg #3 really looks like any other egg from any other clutch at this point. Egg #2 is less usual-looking, but doesn't appear to be bad at this point. I'm less hopeful about Egg #1. I'm not sure what happened, but it doesn't look good externally. I'm not really able to candle it at all. Of course I'm going to "incubate until there's no debate."
de8b0f1d86bb46eccfc9d31caffaec4b.jpg
f2e91c597c0c2a3287cc33fd610d837a.jpg
f49da77e91fccd3e6f81b52c5f6d7a73.jpg

We're down to one viable egg, #3. It has now made it to Day 53, which has really got me holding my breath.

Eggs #1 and #2 grew opaque. I followed the standard practice of "incubate until there's no debate." Eventually there was no debate. My nose told me when it was time to toss them.

Sceptre herself is doing very well! She's back to full- sized meals and almost back to her normal weight. She went outside yesterday for the first time since her troubles began. She behaved like her old self and enjoyed exploring a bit. When she returned to me, we went back inside for her meal.
8ebd0b2c933b0bd54da53013d9b519d7.jpg
198f95fca9a6da18b858394ce5f3c0b4.jpg
3cd1e71fa8c9663b679ed6201f8623b7.jpg
a3b2b6d077386994534f593235416e9f.jpg

Sceptre is doing very well, thanks! Makes me really happy that she's back to her usual self.

Egg #3 is on Day 57. I'm crossing everything - fingers, legs, eyes...

Other clutches this year have begun pipping on Days 61, 63, and 64. This clutch of one is now on day 62. The suspense is killing me!!
8f40bcb985c649d3cb9156fddcbeae5b.jpg

I had a similar situation this year when I bred my male orchid diffused to a honey stripe and got 17 eggs but on 4 the looked ok. Only one made it to expected hatching day which is day 67 here. Let it go another 3 days then slightly cut it open to check for movement. It reacted to my touch so I left it alone for another day. Then notice the shell around my cut turning green, the fluid turning milky and no movement. Hope you have better luck.

Frank, I'm sorry you lost that baby. That's unfortunate. I always find it so sad when they get so close.

I'm still holding my breath and crossing my fingers. Sceptre's Egg #3 is still sitting there looking exactly like an egg. I'm trying not to get excited but I'm anxiously holding my breath when I check on it each night and morning. So far, nada.

Back