• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first year breeding

One week since her pre-egg laying shed is not unusually long. My bet she will lay within 3 days. Can’t wait to read your post announcing egg laying has occurred.
We’ll hand out cigars and pop open some champagne!

Yes! And I can finally relax lol

I should really say, I can finally relax for a few weeks while the eggs are incubating lol, pipping time will probably (definitely) bring new anxieties.

Getting babies to eat for the first time will be.....fun. I think I'm going to go straight to braining the first try.

But let's not count the eggs before they're even laid.

Lol sounds like you've got it about right on the relaxation. Truthfully though, most babies eat without trouble. It's just that the ones you usually hear/ read about are the challenging sort.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

We're at 24 hours straight in the nest box. So tomorrow morning at lights on (7 am) I will check on her)

Yep, I agree that the majority of babies will eat frozen thawed off the bat. My first clutch, all 16 babies ate perfectly from the first feed onward. My second clutch, if I'm recalling correctly, had a few that refused their first meals, but took their second. And that clutch had one undersized baby who was much more of a pain to get eating but he did eventually get there. And you can always come back here for advice if you end up with any non-feeders!

Yep, I agree that the majority of babies will eat frozen thawed off the bat. My first clutch, all 16 babies ate perfectly from the first feed onward. My second clutch, if I'm recalling correctly, had a few that refused their first meals, but took their second. And that clutch had one undersized baby who was much more of a pain to get eating but he did eventually get there. And you can always come back here for advice if you end up with any non-feeders!

I tend to have bad luck, so I cant count on things going smoothly, but here's to hoping lol

Speaking of bad luck, the sensor I was using to record the temperature of the egg box just malfunctioned I'm trying to fix it right now.

I mean the thermostat I'm using also records the temperature and logs it but only for short intervals...

I don’t believe you’ll relax after the eggs arrive. You will probably be anxious about......
Is the humidity too low, the one egg on top is still indented?..
Is the substrate too wet or dry?
Is that fungus on one of the eggs?
Is the temp right?
Did I accidentally turn the eggs when I moved them?
Mom looks really skinny...will she recover?
And so on.
I still sometimes get thoughts thought after a couple of decades doing this year after year. But the first clutch can be worrisome even though good eggs seldom go bad unless they are really neglected.

SO!!!!

Checked on her this morning, she was at the bottom of the container, pull the moss back and saw those pearly whites. I teared up lol. Got her out, make sure she got them all out, teared up again. Lmao.

I had in my mind that snake eggs looks smaller then they are on YouTube, but man are these tiny lol. I in my haste and excitement, I forgot to count until after I had nestled them in the pearlite, but I think she laid 28 eggs (holy shit)

FPLS7HxX0AsOBTT.jpeg

And my poor girl, wow, she went from a little over 700 grams to just over 400 grams. Like noted before she was on the kinda chunky side, so I would never expect to see her like this lol. I have a mouse thawing for her, hopefully she eats. I know the lighting is terrible, but I was shaking and just wanted to get her back in her enclosure.

FPLTnQJXoAICwrG.jpeg

She was hesitant, but she took a small mouse hopefully it stays down (remember before this she was on jumbo mice)

If the dent eggs dont plumb back up by tonight, I'm going to put a layer a (barely) damp moss. I kinda want to do that away to keep potential condensation drips off of the eggs.

I just want to thank EVERYONE who participated in this thread, for giving me advice or just calming my nerves. I also want to acknowledge the decades of old posts and threads I've been reading, to get me excited and get me through.

Congratulations!! That's a very nice clutch. Bean did her job well. And so did you.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Updates!!!

Mom: Ate just fine on Thursday, (no poop yet) but has started her post lay shed. I got out out this morning to weigh her and when I put her back she took a nice long drink of water. I won't feed her again until after she sheds. I have one more small mouse left then back up to adult mice.
IMG_4345.jpeg

Eggs: The ones that were dented didn't puff up on thier own so I put some damp moss overnight and it worked, this was Saturday. I did remove the moss from the top afterwards. I'm not planing on checking on them today. I'm thinking of checking the eggs again in 2 days, then 5 days after that, and then after that once a week.
IMG_4342.jpeg

They've already gotten noticeably bigger. Thank the lord she got them out when she did.

Also are eggs supposed to be completely odorless? There was a bit of a smell, nothing really foul, but I did smell *something*.

Usually you can only smell bad eggs. Probably a survival trait, I would guess. Eggs with an odor would be quickly found by predators.

Back