View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 12:27 AM   #2
Rich Z
Mice REALLY stink. And you will pick up that smell on your clothes and in your hair, and on your skin. Which will be hell when you go to pick up any of your snakes and they smell mice on you. Their sense of smell is much MUCH greater than yours, and they will smell FOOD when nosing around your hands.

And having them in the same room as your snakes will likely be a real problem for you too. They will constantly smell the mice nearby, which might keep them in a constant state of agitation.

We had a rather large colony of mice and it was a gargantuan anchor on our lives. We could not go anywhere for longer than 3 days MAX, because the mice needed to be tended to.

How many snakes do you have? A single harem of mice will not provide you very much in the way of feed items, IMHO.

And honestly, if you are treating the parent mice as pets, I think you are going to have a tough time taking the babies away from them to feed them to your snakes without feeling some guilt over it.

We usually had one male and 4 females in each cage, if I remember correctly. In your case, what happens if your lone male dies suddenly? Or is sterile? That DOES happen. And not all females will produce for you.

Sorry if this sounds real negative, but the mouse colony, although saving us a bunch of money, was one hell of a headache to maintain. Maybe a small group would be OK, but I think you will come to regret that decision.

Anyway, just my personal opinion, and your mileage may vary. A lot.