• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this hide dangerous?

JessKeen

Hey guys, I was at Petsmart and saw this hide. It's cute and the perfect size for my big girl, but I think it might be pine, so I'm wondering if a pine hide would be dangerous? I would be sealing it with several coats of a pet-safe varnish for ease of cleaning, would the varnish protect the snake from the pine?
e68fd485628f1fee383be9d0c2d90e54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Pine and cedar both have toxins in the oil of the tree that is deadly to corn snakes.

I wouldn't advise playing the odds here. Maybe you can create something similar yourself from a safe wood (or see if etsy ,might have something like this somewhere)?

I'd worry about that hole, too. Snakes go through things they can't fit through, and get stuck.

The hole is big enough for her to fit though easily, but I'm not going to take the chance. I'll make something similar that I can be sure won't hurt her. It's just so cute and the perfect size! Anyone know of woods that are safe and easily accessible ? I can cut apple tree branches, split them in half, and let them dry out for the top part. I would need something to cut the front and back panel from, though.

Is balsa wood safe? Regardless of what I use I will still be sealing it, does anyone know of a safe sealant or varnish of some kind? I usually use polycrylic but I've never made anything wooden to go inside an enclosure before.

Back