• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how do u know

iowa corn

my girl laid 3/3/11 all of them look great but one is bad. but they r getting bigger and i can see them moving when i put a light up to them. but how do u know when they should be hatching soon tho??? thanks for any help

my girl laid 3/3/11 all of them look great but one is bad. but they r getting bigger and i can see them moving when i put a light up to them. but how do u know when they should be hatching soon tho??? thanks for any help

Depending on their incubation temps, corns usually hatch about 9 weeks after being laid. That number can very depending on temps.

I had a clutch that was given to me that started hatching at day 105. I believe the longest was 115days. I think the clutch I had was just in a normal closet, & he had them in Colorado for a while, then he moved to Seattle, a couple months before they hatched. I had them the last few weeks, before they started hatching.

there in the incubator/hatch rite. it is set at 84 and the temp inside the box says 81-82 usally and the hymidor says 100%. They have just started to get bigger then they where and i can see them move so i was thinking they were getting close

I usually incubate with temps of around 84 inside the egg container, and over the years mine have averaged 64-65 days between laying and hatching.

Good luck!

P.S. When you open the lid of the egg container, take a good sniff. Some of us have found that just before the eggs start to pip, you get an aroma of green pepper. No idea why, but it never fails with mine - that smell means pipping sometime in the next 48 hours. I'd actually reached the stage where I filled the hatchling tub water bowls when I got the smell - it was that reliable.

now that u say something i have noticed there has been a little bit of a diffrent kind of smell when i open it. I would say its kind of a peppermintish like smell tho not really a bell pepper smell tho

I had a clutch that was given to me that started hatching at day 105. I believe the longest was 115days. I think the clutch I had was just in a normal closet, & he had them in Colorado for a while, then he moved to Seattle, a couple months before they hatched. I had them the last few weeks, before they started hatching.

115 days! Holy cow.

Green peppers and peppermint? I had no idea.

I usually incubate with temps of around 84 inside the egg container, and over the years mine have averaged 64-65 days between laying and hatching.

Good luck!

P.S. When you open the lid of the egg container, take a good sniff. Some of us have found that just before the eggs start to pip, you get an aroma of green pepper. No idea why, but it never fails with mine - that smell means pipping sometime in the next 48 hours. I'd actually reached the stage where I filled the hatchling tub water bowls when I got the smell - it was that reliable.

OMGosh I noticed that last year and thought it was odd. I didn't even have any idea what to think of it. I thought maybe is was the moss getting old. Now I know.

P.S. When you open the lid of the egg container, take a good sniff. Some of us have found that just before the eggs start to pip, you get an aroma of green pepper. No idea why, but it never fails with mine

How interesting. Never heard anyone mention that before, I have a pretty good 'sniffer' so I'll remember that when mine are getting close.

O.P I can't wait till I can see ours moving around inside their eggs, that must be so COOL!!!

Back