• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

Hee. The goat guardian dogs actively go hunting. If they find something dead, they'll bring it up to eat. They've been known to kill and eat coyotes.

IMO, this is why so many vets are against raw feeding.
My dogs & ferrets eat raw & whole prey.
If you read the Raw Meaty Bones books, it's claimed that proper raw diets eliminate a lot of the problems (such as rotting teeth) that mean vet visits are needed!

If you read the Raw Meaty Bones books, it's claimed that proper raw diets eliminate a lot of the problems (such as rotting teeth) that mean vet visits are needed!

I agree that proper raw diets are far superior to any kibble out there.
I think that too many people jump into feeding raw without learning how to nutritionaly balance the food, &/or improper handling, causing health problems. I know my vet is very much against raw, but I do it anyways, because the proof is in their skin/coats, energy level, weight management, etc.
In one week of feeding raw, I saw a noticable difference in all of the above.
I just don't bring it up to my vet. :)

I'm looking at switching my dog back onto a raw diet. He did so well on it...no "doggy smell", beautiful coat and teeth, everything! I switched him to an excellent food when I moved in with my husband and we had to share freezer space, but now that we're in our own place again and the company whose food I feed had just been sold to Proctor and Gamble.....going back to raw is looking better every day.

Plus, I don't like it when he smells like a dog.

The only issue I have with feeding Rosie raw, is that she's only got a small appetite. If I give her more than she wants to eat she tries to stash it in the front room. I only had to sit on half a chicken carcase hidden in the sofa throw once to realise that keeping her out of there until she's either eaten or left her food is the best option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoges
you feed your dog raw meat?? wtf you need too L2 pets

wtf does that even mean?

Urban Dictionary says that "L2" means "learn to" but the sentence still doens't make sense.

I like Urban Dictionary - it helps me understand the yoofs.

Urban Dictionary says that "L2" means "learn to" but the sentence still doens't make sense.

I was thinking more along the lines of L2 = lumbar vertebra! :shrugs:

I'm looking at switching my dog back onto a raw diet. He did so well on it...no "doggy smell", beautiful coat and teeth, everything! I switched him to an excellent food when I moved in with my husband and we had to share freezer space, but now that we're in our own place again and the company whose food I feed had just been sold to Proctor and Gamble.....going back to raw is looking better every day.

Plus, I don't like it when he smells like a dog.

Evo. That's what I fed mine too. When I started really looking into other foods, I kept finding how much crap there is in even the best kibbles.
So I switched to Darwin raw for the dogs. If I can get my cats to switch, I will feed it to them as well (the ferrets mostly get whole prey, but will eat raw as well).

The only issue I have with feeding Rosie raw, is that she's only got a small appetite. If I give her more than she wants to eat she tries to stash it in the front room. I only had to sit on half a chicken carcase hidden in the sofa throw once to realise that keeping her out of there until she's either eaten or left her food is the best option!
Have you tried premade raw, like Darwin? They come in 1 & 2lb packages, frozen. You thaw out the package, & use it within 48 hours (mine doesn't last that long, with two GSD's). It's balanced with the proper meat/organ/bone ratio. It does have shredded veggies, which I don't think they "need", but if there has to be a filler in it, I'd rather have that. I supplement a cornish gamehen, or something for their jaw & teeth.

Maybe I should use Urban Dictionary, that statement absolutely no sense to me. LOL

Learn to pet translates out to "learn how to properly keep a pet". The more common phrase is "learn to play", said to someone completely ignorant of game mechanics and devoid of any skill.

Learn to pet translates out to "learn how to properly keep a pet". The more common phrase is "learn to play", said to someone completely ignorant of game mechanics and devoid of any skill.

Interesting. Unless someone isn't making sure it's balanced with nutrition, raw & whole prey are the best you can feed any of the carnivores. IMO

In that case, it's Shmoges who needs to "L2 pets". Raw food is the BEST diet for most dogs and cats. You just can't beat the benefits. I assembled my dog's raw diet myself rather than buy prepackaged and it was a full-time hobby, but well worth it IMO.

Have you tried premade raw, like Darwin? They come in 1 & 2lb packages, frozen. You thaw out the package, & use it within 48 hours (mine doesn't last that long, with two GSD's). It's balanced with the proper meat/organ/bone ratio. It does have shredded veggies, which I don't think they "need", but if there has to be a filler in it, I'd rather have that. I supplement a cornish gamehen, or something for their jaw & teeth.
I've looked at the pre-packed raw foods, and you can get some really nice ones at good prices if you order in bulk, but I go to a farm butcher with my friend Cathy where we get giant sacks of carcases and bones, lamb necks, trimmings, plus a bucket of lungs, lights and organs literally for pennies. With Rosie being a Bedlington cross I limit the amount of organ meat she gets as I don't know if her dam was tested for copper storage disease. Historically Beddy/whippets like her don't tend to the disease being expressed but I don't want to take chances. Most Bedlington-specific dietary advice stresses that most commercial feeds are too high in copper for the breed. By getting the carcases etc direct from the butcher I can be sure I'm giving Rosie the mix I want her to have. She doesn't really like vegetables, cooked, raw or minced but I'd say she's doing pretty well on her current diet!

Attachments

• 64a.JPG
    64a.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 91
Janine, she is adorable!
I agree that preparing at home is ideal, & I hope to get there someday. Right now, it's the convenience factor for me.
I do like the whole prey model the best.

Easy fix, give her 10 minutes (or 5 if you like), if there is any left, take it away, and do not offer food again, until the following day. She will learn very quickley, that when there is food, you eat. Feeding in a kennel may help as well.

Easy fix, give her 10 minutes (or 5 if you like), if there is any left, take it away, and do not offer food again, until the following day. She will learn very quickley, that when there is food, you eat. Feeding in a kennel may help as well.
I know that works for kibble or canned food, but it's not so easy for Rosie to eat half a rabbit or a lamb neck in 5 minutes! Thanks for the suggestion though. It's mainly a case of me remembering just how much smaller than Ellie she is and not overwhelming her with a bowl full of dead things that she'll want to save for later.

I know that works for kibble or canned food, but it's not so easy for Rosie to eat half a rabbit or a lamb neck in 5 minutes! Thanks for the suggestion though. It's mainly a case of me remembering just how much smaller than Ellie she is and not overwhelming her with a bowl full of dead things that she'll want to save for later.

You can give her more time, just give her a set time, and make sure it disappears after that. :spinner:

Back