• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yellow Okeetee?

Just curious, with the poor results over the past few years, why not enlist the help of a breeder such as SMR, RichZ or Morh? It would be better to get 1/2 of a clutch that to not get anything over the past few seasons. Just a question I have wondered

dc

...or better yet, send HALF of the adults to someone like Don/RichZ and keep half....or a third of the adults to 2 different large/serious/full-time breeders and keep a third. With all eggs, so to speak, in one basket (especially in the care of less experienced keepers) the chance of something going wrong is too slim. I'd be having nightmares that the whole group would be destroyed (and the gene lost) from one minor accident.

Whenever I did get a potential new gene, the FIRST thing I did was send some out on loan in case something went wrong here. Knock on wood!
KJ

Exactly

Unfortunately we both know the nighmares that can happen. You hit the nail on the head, why not be sure this trait was protected else where?

dc

lol all you guys just want a golden corn don't you...
However I have to agree, it would be good to send at least one carrier of the gene to a different facility for safekeeping.
To me it seems a shame that the breeding of this morph has been rather delayed. This gene is so cool and a lot of folks are eager to see some become available. I actually thought it had not been proven out because I hadn't heard anything more about it for so long. It is nice to know it has been reproduced and there's hets.
Oooh golden cinders, caramel goldens.. the possibilities...

However I have to agree, it would be good to send at least one carrier of the gene to a different facility for safekeeping.
To me it seems a shame that the breeding of this morph has been rather delayed. This gene is so cool and a lot of folks are eager to see some become available. I actually thought it had not been proven out because I hadn't heard anything more about it for so long. It is nice to know it has been reproduced and there's hets.
Oooh golden cinders, caramel goldens.. the possibilities...

Pleeeeease stop it, otherwise the next breeding season will take FOREVER to arrive. :p

The sad part is that this morph has been delayed so much than many of the people who would spend the big bucks on it seem to have kinda cooled off towards it just out of frustration...and moved in new directions. It is sad, but this morph kinda peaked in popularity BEFORE it was even made available......lol.

The sad part is that this morph has been delayed so much than many of the people who would spend the big bucks on it seem to have kinda cooled off towards it just out of frustration...and moved in new directions. It is sad, but this morph kinda peaked in popularity BEFORE it was even made available......lol.

Heck I still think they are gorgeous... But you are right. When this thread was first posted four years ago, I was expecting them to be around sooner. Like with cinder from the time of discovery to the time even people like me can have a het was not that long. It's now four years later and three golden in existence and twelve hets? It would make sense to at least send that male juvenile out to someone with a lot of females to breed him to. That is what I'd do. I guess I can't really say what I'd do if I discovered a new gene though since I haven't. I can imagine it might be hard to share something like this.

I can imagine it might be hard to share something like this.

Harder to walk in and show your wife (in my case) a dead snake because something went wrong and the entire colony died. Forget the lost money that dead snake would represent - can you just imagine (as a fellow herper) explaining you your friends that the mutation is dead and gone because of an unavoidable accident.....and not even a lone het male was out on lone for "safety?" Ugh!

I couldn't sleep at night. That's just me, though.
KJ

Golden Corn

QUOTE]

Would I like the gene to work with, yes, however, as a stand alone I really am not that impressed witht he coloration but I would really like to see how it affects other mutations. I would also like to see what the hatchilings look like to compare against say the caramels.

I also agree with KJ, this was a hotter morph 2-3 years ago rather than now due to frustration and delay. Either way I would still love to stumble onto something like this in the wild but immediate thoughts would go into protecting the trait. I imagine the snake is still marketable, but in our suffering economy, it is likely to have lost it's top dollar potential a year or two ago.

dc

Could someone please repost the original image of this animal? It's not showing up anyumore, and I'm dyin' to see what all the fuss is about!

Could someone please repost the original image of this animal? It's not showing up anyumore, and I'm dyin' to see what all the fuss is about!

Look in all the posts and you'll see enough pictures of it to understand the fuss... :)

Photo

Hopefully this shows up. This is a photo he recently posted.

dc

Attachments

• golden.jpg
    golden.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 167
Regarding having a safety net by lending a golden snake to a reputable breeder... I have an ethic question.
Can Carsten Zee "own" the gene for now? For example, if he sends the golden f2 to Rich Z, can he be entitled to some money after Rich Z starts reproducing "his" golden corns?
I guess my question (as a noobie) come from the fact that if I found a blue corn, and knowing that no one has it, I could make some $ w/ this new morph before it becomes readily available. :shrugs:

I am once again (for the last time), finding myself going overseas. I do my last tour overseas (Iraq/Afghanistan) and then come home for good. I only recently returned from Afghanistan (this summer), so I have only been home for about two months.
THANK YOU for your patience, AND understanding

A big "THANK YOU" for going to Iraq/Afghanistan and for updating us on your beautiful golden girl and her crew.

Be safe...we'll be waiting for you to get back!

Guess you would just really have to trust the person that gets the new gene.
I suppose you could buy time by sending only one het or only one homozygous animal out to the other breeder - you'd be giving yourself a little time frame (if they only have one animal carrying the gene it will take them 2-3 years to breed it to its offspring or breed those together)
But I have never heard of anyone owning a gene or copyrighting one in corns. Even in the horticultural world where there are "patented" plants that you are not supposed to take cuttings of and root them (clearly marked on some labels) how would you enforce this? Plus who is going to buy a corn if they are not allowed to use the gene in their own projects?
What it boils down to is whether the money you can make being the only person that has it, or preserving a new gene is more important? I guess.

Regarding having a safety net by lending a golden snake to a reputable breeder... I have an ethic question.
Can Carsten Zee "own" the gene for now? For example, if he sends the golden f2 to Rich Z, can he be entitled to some money after Rich Z starts reproducing "his" golden corns?
I guess my question (as a noobie) come from the fact that if I found a blue corn, and knowing that no one has it, I could make some $ w/ this new morph before it becomes readily available. :shrugs:

Yes and no. Typically what you can do is send the morph to a reputable breeder and you negotiate terms up front. No questions asked, I am sure any decent breeder would jump on a breeder loan where the Golden corn is sent to them and they breed a male to it for 1-2 years. The first year, half the clutch (even split as possible for feeders, non feeders, and sexes) are shipped back to the originator. After the second year, half the babies and the mom are shipped back. I even imagine they would give the original owner a one year "chance" to produce the trait, then after that, deals are kind of over.

Say the following deal had been cut with Don, RIch...whoever. If the original owner isn't able to reproduce the trait in that time frame, you can't expect Don or Rich to just sit around and wait until they do. The biggest issue would be neither person dumping a bunch of hets out there until they have established the trait in their own colonies. Good thing about sending it to a breeder is they can cross it to a trait that is completely dissimilar and the original owner gets the good end of the deal.

I still do not understand the $500 bonus and holding all the snakles issue. If there are in fact hets ready to breed, why not send at least one pair of KNOWN hets out to someone and hang onto the others. Then if you do not have success, you still get 1/2 a clutch from the other breeder.

I may be wrong, but that is my thoughts. People like KJ and Jeff Morh are probably better able to answer this question. Sorry to ramble

dc

Thank you Jen and Dc... That was kind of what I was thinking as well. I was just not sure if such negotiations existed. Thanks guys...

I may be wrong, but that is my thoughts. People like KJ and Jeff Morh are probably better able to answer this question. Sorry to ramble

dc

By the way, it is Mohr. ;)

If I had such a snake, I'd send a few hets off in the very least to someone I trusted and who had been in the business for a while. There have been a lot of people who have a lot of snakes only to burn out and no longer be around. Picking someone would actually be difficult for me as this is not a short term project...especially working with hets. I've done several breeding loans in the past and most have worked out okay....but you do have your potential problems that can arise. More established people would be better.

As far as owning a gene. Nah...don't think so. Basically, if it is BRAND new morph the loan would probably be in the lenders favor if hets were being used and it would probably be more than a 50/50 split. However, if the borrower was taking brand new morph and breeding it to other high-end animals that the lender does not posses, then I think it would be a split down the middle or maybe lean towards the borrowers side. But....it all has to be negotiated between the two parties.

Back