• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Blue Corn???

Hope H

Corn-A-Holic
I was at a reptile show today and a guy had a Snow x Blue Corn and an Anery X Blue. He said the Blue was a new morph that they were experimenting with, but that the one parent was blue. Anyone know anythig about this? He also had some hatchling "Rainbow Corns" but wasn't selling them. Any feedback is appreciated...

I personally haven't seen or heard anything called the Blue or Rainbow Corn snake...
I would think that this guy that is selling these are lyers...I wouldn't buy from them, UNLESS he can show me the real Blue or Rainbow Corn snake. Then I would say that there is such a thing. But from what I know of, not even Rich, Don or Kathy who are one of the biggest breeders around have these snakes.....so I would say that it's just fake....trying to get more money from it....

Hey Cider and Simon... I already read about the blue cornsnake heres the site...

http://www.cornsnakemorphs.com/projects.html

They are still in the beggining phases... but I really dont know what to think of it... I think it would def be cool to have blue corns... but their you go these projects are from "Exotic by Nature" so they have to be somewhat correct in their breeding styles...

Im not sure about the Rainbow Corn... sounds almost like a Hybrid to be... but who knows colors are coming out of the woodworks everyday now! I really dont know what to expect anymore!

so a blue corn is actually a type of grey. like blue pitbulls that are actually grey but called blue.

Blue?

WTF? It looks just like a pastel motley. Same color as my hatchling ghost. How is that blue?

Oh wait, it isn't. Imagine that, something with no blue anywhere near it... is called blue. Why does that not surprise me. :rolleyes:

I would have liked to have seen the Adult Blue also. I too have a pastel motley that is kind of a silvery blue. Really pretty! I also have a Snow Corn that has a faint blue outline around the saddles and has a bluish tint that you can see in the sun. I am very much a neophyte when it comes to all these different morphs, just wasn't sure if this was something new and upcoming, or just a common morpf with a differnet name. Gets confusing....!

hey Bmm what is the little pic under your name

and yeah prob just a fancey name to sell the snakes

thats

My BEAST!

hehehe its my male Mexican Black Kingsnake. More attitude on this guy than any other colubrid I have owned. He grabs and bites and chews!!! He will glady chew and bite on my hand for a half hour at a time. :) hehehe but I love him. Amazing snakes they are. Jet black!

bmm

Until I see a picture of a adult "BLUE MOTLEY", I'm going to say it must be a pastel motley. I have a pair of them, and they are exactly the same. I think we will see that once the yellow comes in on an adult snake--these are probably Pastel Motley's(anery,hypo,motley) and maybe a little selective breeding.

Matt

Could this possibly answer the question

Hope I don't get into trouble. I stole this photo but can't remember where from.

If it is a genuine photo of a charcoal corn, then it's the nearest thing to BLUE I've ever seen.

Attachments

• charcoal.jpg
    charcoal.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 383
Well, the problem is that the entire image has a blue cast to it. Even the aspen is blue. If you adjust the picture to remove the blue color in the aspen, the snake looks alot more like a normal charcoal... See?

Attachments

• charcoal.jpg
    charcoal.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 384
I just recently saw some "blue ice" corns at a show in San Diego. The breeder admitted he wasn't sure yet exactly what they were and I am kicking myself for not paying more attention to what he was saying. He did metion something about T-/T+. My mind was already off and racing trying to figure out what the heck it was. It was an awesome white animal with a definate blue cast to it. He also had one that was more pink. I am remembering it having dark eyes and a large price tag. My hypo Lav has hints of blue in some places but nothing like this animal. I wish I would have gotten a card from him. I should ask around to other people who went to see if they remember who he was. His table would be pretty memorable because he also had a striped lavendar. It was amazing!

Last edited:
I would have loved to have seen that. Both the Blue and Lavender. You never know when you may just come across that new morph. Sounds like it was a good show!

Heck, I bred Lavender to Blizzard many moons ago. Been getting F2s for several years now with Charcoals and all the other combos you would expect. If any of those Charcoals OR Blizzards are also homozygous for Lavender, I certainly can't see it. Some of the Charcoals seem to have a blue tint on top of the head, but it's not anything dramatic enough to write home about.

This would certainly be a big kick in the bucket if Charcoal dominated over Lavender yet Lavender dominates over 'A' Anerythrism. This stuff can bend your mind after a while.

My wife says I do act a LOT stranger now then I did when she first met me. She should have been warned when I asked her if she wanted to come home with me to see my snakes. She should have known I was going to be trouble! ;)

Rich Z said:
She should have been warned when I asked her if she wanted to come home with me to see my snakes. ;)

Rich did that line actually work??;) And did you have to mention they were all over a foot long? :D

Ken

I found some!

I was browsing the internet and i found some blue and multicoloured corns!
But wait!
They're all computer enhanced but I thought I would post them anyway.
Go onto the website I've included, them go to the photo album, and down the bottom there's some pictures of the multicoloured snakes.
I hope it works for you!
http://www.corn-utopia.com]

Hey Bmm...

Gonna play devil's advocate with you on this one...

It is very common in animals to call certain shades of gray "blue" and perhaps these people are very ernest in their endevour. I do not know them but I have "seen them around" for a lot of years working on some pretty interesting projects. Don't they deserve to name something if they've worked hard at it? Remember, pictures are not the best way to evaluate an animal. Even their websight admits that.

Is the right to name a morph reserved for Rich, Kathy and Don?

bmm said:
More "cool" yet incorrect names to sell more snakes. *sigh*

bmm

T+/T-

Hi,

Entirely off, but...

T+/T- referrs to whether the tyrosinase gene product
(the enzyme tyrosinase) is present and working or not.
In humans, tyrosinase - albinism results in, well, an albino
human. Amelanistic snakes are T+, that is, their tyrosinase
still works. This is because Tyrosinase catalyzes the first
few steps in the pathway that not only makes eumelanins,
the black, brown, and purple pigments, but also the
pheomelanins, the red and yellow pigments. So the presence
of orange and red in amelanistics means that you're probably
looking at another gene there, something like tyrosinase-related
-protein-2, also called dopachrome tautomerase, which
catalyzes part of the eumelanin synthesis alone. Oddly enough,
though, in mice that's actually the, ah, "slaty" locus, I think,
resulting in gray mice. Mutations in TyrRP-2 in humans don't