• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first year breeding

BTW, not clear on your procedure, but might be best to keep the eggs covered with damp material the entire time while incubating. They need to absorb moisture from the surroundings, so the more surface area provided with moisture to draw from, the better off for the developing eggs. Within reason, of course. Way too wet and the eggs drown.

Some people do get by having the humidity at nearly 100 percent in the container, but that normally means a sealed air tight container. I have heard arguments that this inhibits air exchange and can cause an excess of carbon dioxide and less oxygen content. Generally speaking, I tried to keep in mind what the females had to choose from in the wild for a nest and figured nature would know best for optimum conditions for egg incubation. Snakes just are not likely to find air tight containers to lay eggs in in the wild. :shrugs:

BTW, not clear on your procedure, but might be best to keep the eggs covered with damp material the entire time while incubating. They need to absorb moisture from the surroundings, so the more surface area provided with moisture to draw from, the better off for the developing eggs. Within reason, of course. Way too wet and the eggs drown.

Some people do get by having the humidity at nearly 100 percent in the container, but that normally means a sealed air tight container. I have heard arguments that this inhibits air exchange and can cause an excess of carbon dioxide and less oxygen content. Generally speaking, I tried to keep in mind what the females had to choose from in the wild for a nest and figured nature would know best for optimum conditions for egg incubation. Snakes just are not likely to find air tight containers to lay eggs in in the wild. :shrugs:

My container is sort of airtight, I don't have any air holes, but it's just a snap on lid so it's not 100% airtight. I'm going this method because I have a problem with fruit flies (actually im not sure if they're fruit flies, I just know every few weeks there everywhere and I have to get the traps out lol).

I do have 100% humidity pretty much all the time in there (now and back in testing) so I figured having the moss on top was overdoing it, once the eggs plumped back up.

IMG_4363.PNG

Things are looking very good! I love Bean's "I'm a Mom!" mug for water. That's a very nice touch.

The eggs are looking good. Sounds like everything is on track. I think you may have smelling your moss. I use sphagnum moss for mine, and damp moss does have a mild scent if one has a sensitive nose. It should not be an unpleasant or musty smell, but there isn't anything wrong with smelling like moss, lol. It's great to pay attention to odors. (Eventually you'll find that there's a particular scent when the eggs are very close to hatching.)

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

I candled the eggs tonight, since they're all stuck together, I couldn't check everyone, but I got some good shots.

IMG_4405.jpeg

I didn't expect the vein network to be so strong already. Every egg I was able to check had some really nice veins! Also, don't worry, it's a led flashlight, it doesn't radiate any heat.

That's excellent! I never get tirdd of good news. Thanks for sharing.

I'm expecting the first clutch of the year sometime in the coming week. Hopefully Tulip will proceed as smoothly as Bean. (Although I'm gonna faint if she lays 28 eggs!)

I'm expecting the first clutch of the year sometime in the coming week. Hopefully Tulip will proceed as smoothly as Bean. (Although I'm gonna faint if she lays 28 eggs!)

Hopefully it does go smooth for you!

Thanks! Tulip can usually be relied upon to take care of business without drama. Since I posted that comment, Esperanza had her pre-lay shed last night as well. It's been a few years since I last bred her. She hasn't ever had trouble, no reason to think she will this time either, but I'll be happy when those eggs are safely laid.

This waiting part is HARD! [emoji28]

Thanks! Tulip can usually be relied upon to take care of business without drama. Since I posted that comment, Esperanza had her pre-lay shed last night as well. It's been a few years since I last bred her. She hasn't ever had trouble, no reason to think she will this time either, but I'll be happy when those eggs are safely laid.

This waiting part is HARD! [emoji28]

Seeeee I was saying that! Once the eggs are out, looked good, and momma was safe I could relax after weeks of pairing and stressing and then wondering if she was even gravid, etc. etc.

Time is going by kinda fast for me now because I'm actually in the middle of a career change, I'm doing training to be a software developer andddd the eggs are due right when I'll be doing my final project lol.

Update on mama: This was a day before her third meal. Looking pretty good/recovered. Since she was a little overweight going into breeding season, I gotta make sure I dont actually get her back to the size lol

IMG_4444.jpeg

For the babies, I figured I'd be more excited for potential snows (1/4 chance), but I'm pretty excited to see how the amels turn out. I had originally got Bean has a reverse Okeetee, but got confused when the orange background color never really came in. Doing on research with the breeder and it looks like she comes from a crimson line. So mixed with the dad, I'm not sure if I'm going to get amels that look like her, or amels with more orange.

Bean looks like she's doing well. You've done a fine job of caring for her through and after her gestation. [emoji846]

By Crimson, I meant Miami x.x

Bean looks like she's doing well. You've done a fine job of caring for her through and after her gestation. [emoji846]

Thank you! She's a pet first and foremost so it would kill me if anything happened to her.

3 week egg check, only thing to note is that I thought mold was forming on one of the eggs, the egg I noted with the purple dot, and the spot in question is right by the x, but when I candled the egg, it's see-through, so it's just weirdly un-calcified. At the same time, I'm not seeing very strong veins with that particular egg, so only time will tell.

IMG_4490 2.jpeg

Golly, it's already been three weeks? How the heck did that happen? Lol. They look good! I can't really see much detail but I've had and read of an occasional egg which developed a semi-transparent window such as you seem to be describing. Some continue normal development and hatched just fine. Some didn't. As you say, time will tell. Nice looking clutch at this point, though.

IMG_4502.jpeg

Here is a better shot of it, it just caught me off guard because it looks different from the other egg just below it with an uncalcified spot.

I've been checking the eggs twice a week, Thursdays (so every week milestone) and then every Sunday. I'm in and out, the temp only drops about 1.5 degrees and back to normal within 15 minutes. I keep trying to tell myself, they won't look any different from the last time I've checked but I cant help myself lmao. I have to open the container at least once a week for air flow.

Alsoooooo the baby rack I ordered was originally only a 4 week timeframe, but when I ordered (about two weeks ago) they just changed it to "at least" 6 weeks x.x, so lets hope it gets here in time.

I was originally going to make the rack, when I was expecting like 10-15 eggs, but when she laid so many eggs, it was just "easier" to buy one.

279143025_5506965129335417_789108162279086847_n.jpg

Today during checking, I noticed some werid discoloration with some of the eggs. Is it mold you think?

Back