• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

wots the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given??

ah, this was an entertaining thread until it veered off into the deep end of the art of keeping freshwater turtles... :bang:
back to the question at hand... worst ever reptile advice...

actually, don't mind me, I have probably just missed something big here, lol.

Scrub said:
ah, this was an entertaining thread until it veered off into the deep end of the art of keeping freshwater turtles... :bang:
back to the question at hand... worst ever reptile advice...

actually, don't mind me, I have probably just missed something big here, lol.

You're oh so right... scrub me!
:grin01:

A) Wilder..you have way too much to say for someone I've never spoken to and have only heard of once. Annndddd.

B) Heres the girls, Butch and Smallfry (don't ask, my bro named them when he was 8 LOL)

Butch, being cranky
IM000673.jpg

The old one, Smallfry, being an angel!
IM000674.jpg

And for people like Wilder, who I assume is the type to say "You stole those pics offline" here is one of Smallfry with this post in the background, clearly showing the Cornsnakes.com banner!
IM000675.jpg

The tank HOLDS 25 gallons, its not tempered glass and I think it would break with more in it, its homemade =) Dad calculated 29 would hold, but I'm sure 25 is pushing it too LOL. No pics cause its in my bros room and its nasty dirty up there =P

Couldn't get one of them together cause Butch kept biting Smalls' shell ~,~

Gintha I love their snooty expressions! My brother in law had some 10 inch redears that I was never allowed to touch, he said they could cut your finger off, he'd had them for about 10 years, but traded them for some koi

The worst advice "if you want to call it advice" was given to me by a petco employee. . . imagine that. . . :rolleyes: Anyway My parents and I were standing over by the reptile section and I was looking at water bowls. My parents were talking to this lady because they knew I came to get some substrate. . well, they call me over and are talking about the brands of woodchips, and I say I prefer Repti~Bark. . .the lady looks at me and goes, "Oh my god, you use that for your Cornsnake? I only use sand for my corn snake, cause cornsnakes naturaly live in dry desert places, bark has WAY too much humidity for a corn." I just stood there, looking at her, I thought she must be joking, nope. lol At first I wanted to explain to her all the things wrong with the sentence that just came out of her mouth, but instead I just had to laugh and walk away. So she had my parents thinking that bark was bad for corns and they were freaking out, I had to keep reasuring them she was a nut. . .lol :crazy02:

Seethers,

When I was young, I had herps... hmmm... that almost sounds naughty.. Reptiles, I should say. You should have heard the mall Pass Pets employees telling my folks what we were doing wrong! (Needless to say, the iguanas weren't long-lived.)

Got some great advice yesterday from some friends who own a garter snake (who subsists on crickets and goldfish). You see, one of our new baby corns is still jumpy since his trip from Florida. I swap his water dish every 3-4 days and give it a healthy scrub. I have to wear the gardening gloves because poor Gromit springs from his hide, no matter how quick and quiet I am, and strikes with his large, flexible mouth. (I feel for the little guy! I hope eventually he gets settled in and learns we love him and aren't going to eat him!)

So, my mates told me that he'll probably always be this way. If I want him to be docile (as opposed to giving him time to settle in, then trying consistently to tame him), we should lower the temps in his cage. Mind you, this lady is a pre-vet student. Also, she says "snakes never need vets" and that 20-30% humidity for ball pythons is "probably okay." :eek1:

I'm also traumatising my children because they know that the mouse we bring home will get the hemostat treatment--around the neck and turned into dinner. I should look into feeding the snakes something "more appealing" and "less violent."

Yes, I (& the kids) have been mainly vegetarian over the years. Dear Hubby was raised veg, but we're HUMANS. We are omnivores (some argue, herbivores). Snakes cannot subsist on soy cheese pizza and Diet Dr. Pepper (unlike myself)! I don't enjoy crushing playing Darth Vader and crushing the windpipes of those rodents (okay... maybe a little... especially small rats), but my python must eat. I don't think those pinkies are cute when I'm thawing them out.

Besides, my kids seem to understand the cycle of nature. Our dog and our herps don't have a choice, G-d made them carnivores. Growing up, I helped my greatgrandmother and great-great grandmother ring chicken necks!

Thanks for letting me vent, here in the Great State of Tennessee (where we are not allowed to own turtles).

-C.

Hey, I never said she didn't have turtles. I just highly doubt her claims of it living that long in a tiny tank. It would be surprising to be proven wrong there, but I'd rather remain skeptical and not believe everything a confirmed liar has said until it is proven otherwise. Rude? Only to the liar. Smart? I'll bet most agree with me that it is. ;)

Though, while we're at it, I guess since Gintha was able to get those pictures of the turtles she can take pics of her massive 5-6' long yearling corn snake, too. I think she couldn't before since she didn't have a camera... we'd sure love to see him now, though!

Wilder said:
Though, while we're at it, I guess since Gintha was able to get those pictures of the turtles she can take pics of her massive 5-6' long yearling corn snake, too.
I'd also love to see a picture or two of the 21 hand Arabian horse she claims to own.. But, I guess you can't take pictures of something that's only in your imagination. :rolleyes:

hana

hana said:
I'd also love to see a picture or two of the 21 hand Arabian horse she claims to own.. But, I guess you can't take pictures of something that's only in your imagination. :rolleyes:

hana

ummm yes you can its called a telepathic person drawing what your imagining....... or 21 monkeys in a confined room with some crayons...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .... anyone else know of a 46(36???) year old turtle thats only 6-7 inches long...... my 4 year old was at like 9 inches before i moved and sold her... :shrugs:

and a 21 hand arabian........ send me a pic of since i cant imagine a horse that big.......... :wavey:

corey

I posted pics of him with a $1 coin about 3 months ago... if you're so smart I would assume you'd know how to look at a pic on the site =P

Was in at the petstore the other day, 15 baby corns, all normals, listed at "phased corn snakes" in a 12 X 12 X 10 tank with top heat and astro turf, no hides, no water, nothing. I grabbed the managers BF and was like WTF? He says "Don't worry, they've only been in there 5 days, they can go months without water" .... .... .... .... I was like nuh uh buddy, humane society inspector here, claiming those little snakes! Took them all to the shelter, 9 had to be euthanized ~,~ The other 6 are okie, but no one is hopeful. Wish I had room to foster them *sniff* The "snake expert" saying they can go months without water, GAH!

Hana, I told you that Satan died 18 years ago, want me to go to Alberta and dig him up and send you a pic of his skelleton? :rolleyes: Do some research on purebred Arabian stallions, 21 hands isn't all that unheard of... record is 26 I believe.

Gintha said:
Hana, I told you that Satan died 18 years ago, want me to go to Alberta and dig him up and send you a pic of his skelleton? :rolleyes: Do some research on purebred Arabian stallions, 21 hands isn't all that unheard of... record is 26 I believe.

Do you honestly expect me to believe that a horse that doesn't usually get over 15 hands can exceed even 18 hands? Hardly... When you're ready to admit that you're nothing but a silly girl who tells tales, I'll listen.. But until then I believe the worst bit of advice a person could get/give would be to listen to Gintha..

And I quote," The worlds tallest horse is Cracker, a Shire who comes in at 19 and 1/2 hands."

I would think that it would be much more simple to dig up a dead horse than to prove that you had any sort of horse that was 21 hands... :rolleyes:

hana

na uh hana, many horses are normally 25 hands and 20 hands are like shetland pony size............. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek1:
:crazy02:

corey

reptilecaverns said:
na uh hana, many horses are normally 25 hands and 20 hands are like shetland pony size............. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek1:
:crazy02:

corey
Wah??? I'm hoping the rolley eyed things at the end mean this is a joke. I've worked with Arabian breeders and own an Arabian. There are no Arabians that I've ever seen that have been over say 16 hands. Polish Arabs tend to be a little taller but for the most part, even those don't exceed 15.2 hands. I've ridden a lot of warm blood/ draft crosses of 18 hands, but never 21.....

Thats what the papers say, all I know is he was WAY bigger than our "cowboy pony" which is a mish mash of everything pretty much hehe.

MegF. said:
Wah??? I'm hoping the rolley eyed things at the end mean this is a joke. I've worked with Arabian breeders and own an Arabian. There are no Arabians that I've ever seen that have been over say 16 hands. Polish Arabs tend to be a little taller but for the most part, even those don't exceed 15.2 hands. I've ridden a lot of warm blood/ draft crosses of 18 hands, but never 21.....

i have worked with horses and cattle for around 4 years* it started i was around 8 and lived in texas, and continued in florida, i have pics of me showing a red angus heifer if you want them) and showed cattle for 3 years..... it was a joke... and i did not do it in a harrashing manner, more of a joking matter gintha i dont like liars and neighther do other people. like i said if you can get a pic of this 21 hand arabian than i want to see it. it takes more courage not to hide behind a computer than it does to hide behind one. lies are easier to tell when your the only one around....

corey

Back