• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

wots the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given??

no live food?

Why would it be illegal to feed live food? I hope you're not serious. It doen't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just stupid for not coming up with a reason, but if you could tell me why that would be nice

PureNightAir said:
cornsnakekid92 just so you know it's illegal to feed snakes live food in england. Can kill your corn snake anyway.

LittleViper and cornsnakekid92 both live in America so UK laws do not aply. And a pinkie mouse will not kill or harm a corn snake.

corncrest64 said:
Why would it be illegal to feed live food? I hope you're not serious. It doen't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just stupid for not coming up with a reason, but if you could tell me why that would be nice

Why, because in England there are laws that say you can not. It's that simple.

From this website
www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmenvfru/52/52we76.htm
3. Live feeding

While UK snake keepers do not condone the feeding of live vertebrates to snakes, there are rare occasions especially with hatchlings and newly captive specimens where only a live vertebrate will be accepted as food. This always leaves the keeper with the dilemma of either feeding live or allowing the snake to starve to death. As far as Ark Group can determine, this practice is currently legal so long as not practised in a public place. There has always been confusion over the legality of this practice as no regulation directly relating to this has ever been decreed. Many millions of rodents are destroyed every year by break back traps and poison, compared to these methods the kill by a snake is swift and efficient.

Ark Group would like to see Defra clarify the situation regarding the feeding of live vertebrates to other vertebrates when no alternative exists, setting out clear indications of the circumstances under which this practice can legally take place.
from another, www.faqs.org/faqs/pets/herp-faq/part3/section-3.html
Legislation affects the use of feeder animals in the UK (the Protection of
Animals Act) and perhaps other countries as well. The UK law is not
particularly restrictive---it requires that live feeder vertebrates be used
only as a last resort and that the feeding process be monitored. Local US
jurisdictions may also have relevant regulations. Apprise yourself of the
local legislative situation as it applies to your feeding practices.

corncrest64 said:

I dont know why, just was told at the pet shop (where im getting my snake sooooon YAY) and had it confirmed by the local reptile expert.

And Billybobob I meant live food in general such as mice and rats. Sorry, should have made that clearer.

Oh and just a quick question, I want to get a snow morph (well i wanted a blizzard but they don't have any) and is there any reason why not? This is going to be my first snake, so will it be any more difficult as a normal?

I apologize in advance for this post; my first post...

I have read every post in this thread (all 17 pages) and with the exception of 1 or 2 the last 7-10 pages or so have nothing to do with the initial topic of discussion. I have learned lots about horses, turtles, UK laws and why pet shops shouldn't have animals but very little about "Whats the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given?"

Whew!!! I feel better now that I have that off of my chest. :)

My worst piece of advice was "Oh, these make great pet lizards!" referring to a finger eating black and white tegu I ended up buying on that advice.

P.S. If you want to engage me in a conversation as to why or why not petshops should or shouldn't have animals feel free.

Jojobear said:
My worst piece of advice was "Oh, these make great pet lizards!" referring to a finger eating black and white tegu I ended up buying on that advice.

Argentine Black and Whites DO make fantastic companions. We've got a three-foot subadult who is a character, great fun, but a LOT of work. And we didn't have to do all the taming work on her, either. Colombian B&W, however...

Worst reptile advice I ever got?

"Just put a desk lamp next to its cage, it'll be fine."

Garter snake died.

And the largest horse in the world was actually a Shire gelding in England, from 1846 - Samson was 21.2 and a half hands high. Arabians are SMALL horses, and if someone had a 21hh "Arabian" then it was badly, badly mislabeled... sort of like labeling a caramel corn as a leopard gecko. It was more likely a draft cross and probably measured incorrectly to boot (they didn't measure at the top of the head, did they?)

- Ssthisto

Sorry,i caught this one a bit late. I had someone try to tell me to leave mouldy eggs in the incubator for the babies to eat! :puke01: :grin01:

worst reptile advice ive ever got or someone else in the petstore?here it goes: one day i went to a local petstore to see if they had any reptiles and i saw customers that where looking at 20 red eared sliders with no lighting or heating just a 10g tank with 2inches of water and a rock.......!!!the told the customers that they make great pets and the caresheets there said to use lighting heat but the petstore people said you dont need any!!! because they said theve had their turtles for a long time and they were "fine"(fine meaning very small soft shells no lighting small cage not enough water barely any land and dirty water)(also there only fed turtle pelets or something) i didnt want to say anything because i was so sad (and mad) i just had to leave plus the store smells horrible :sidestep: :cry:

Boy, this are NOTHING! NOTHING!

If ANY of you lived in Hong Kong you'd know the ridiculous advice being given here...

Here's a few:

BALL PYTHON:
1) "Feed your 2 foot ball pythons pinkies. Nothing bigger! You have to feed prey smaller than the NECK of the snake."
2) "Do not give him a hide. Ball pythons get aggressive with a hide!"
3) (one week after the advice above was given) "You DO have a hide for them, dont you? You need one!"
4) "Buy a hot rock. Cermic heaters outside the tank cannot heat inside."

SULCATA TORTOISE:
1) "Hatchlings need temperatures over 100 degrees in the WHOLE cage. Especially in the warm spot. But do not provide a temperature gradient as they will die within 48 hours if you do. Here, feel this tortoise, it's hot! See?". (Huh???)
2) "House them in a fish tank, the SMALLER THE BETTER. Easier to control temps"
3) "Feed them kale, bok choy ______blah blah all the worst foods_____"

I can go on all day...

OH yes I forgot this one it is great. It's for sulcata tortoises:

"Sulcata babies will not need UVB for the first 3 to 4 years. They will develop soft deformed shells and their legs will not be able to walk, and they may go blind. But that's ok. Just give heat is fine."

He meant it. It wasn't sarcastic.

replover said:
BALL PYTHON:
1) "Feed your 2 foot ball pythons pinkies. Nothing bigger! You have to feed prey smaller than the NECK of the snake."
2) "Do not give him a hide. Ball pythons get aggressive with a hide!"
3) (one week after the advice above was given) "You DO have a hide for them, dont you? You need one!"
4) "Buy a hot rock. Cermic heaters outside the tank cannot heat inside."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Late reply but couldn't help it...

princess said:
To go a little OT,

There's a dessert dwelling snake
Sorry, I know this was posted ages ago, but I'm just reading the forums...

snicker snicker...
Does it like jello, or pudding...
mppph...
is that where we got creamsicles and candycanes...

God I suck...

:quote:Here's a question: Should pet stores sell snakes at all?:quote:
I guess we have it lucky around here, because the pet store is owned by a lady that breeds her own cornsnakes...

And the worst advice goes to...

Three pieces of advice:

1. The best way to sex corn snakes is to compare tail sizes...even in hatchlings the male's tail gradually decreases in diameter while the female's tail has a sudden drop-off Cornsnakes are too small to pop or probe.
(p.s. Kathy Love just posted sexing instructions online...

http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/-%20Sexing%20corn%20snakes%20-%20intro%20to%20vid%20clips.htm
) I was trying to buy a trio of corns, and almost ended up with three males. Luckily, another breeder saved my arse.

2. I'm in the military, and we had British Officers visit this week. I was talking about my corns, as I always do, and one, no ****e, asked me if I wasn't worried about all of them getting out and attacking my German Shepherd.

3. My best friend was just given a ball python by his SCIENCE TEACHER aunt, who told him that BPs never shed in one piece, it's always flecks; Two heat rocks, one on each end of the 20 gal long aquarium were the best heat sources, just unplug one at night; aquarium rocks work well as a substrate b/c they pass through the snakes digestive system easier than wood.

First my friend got pissed b/c I told him his aunt was a dumbarse. Then he listened, and we finally got the tank set up properly, except that he insisted on leaving one heat rock in it... with the cord running out of the screen, not the and a two inch gap under the lip...

What can you do?

nehpets1 said:

What can you do?

1) Try not to laugh too hard, or rub it in too much when he asks you to help him find the escaped snake.
2) Pray the poor thing dont get a burn from the hot rock before your friend learns the truth..

1) "Ball pythons never eat their first mouse voluntarily, but once you force-feed the first one they'll always eat after that. If you don't force the first one they never eat and starve to death."

2) When pointed out mites on an in-store blizzard:

"That's normal, all snakes have insects on them."

3) When pet-store employee realised the milk snake he was holding was pooping on him, he chucks it into a fishtank in disgust then holds me off until it drowns, thus earning a punch from me.

4) Veggy friend: "If you cut up tofu into mouse shapes your snake will never know the difference."

5) "Iguanas only eat meat, you must be a crazy vegetarian to be arguing with me about this." (I hope you all see the irony there!)

And finally.....

6) "Oh, no, that green tree python isn't aggressive at all." (Said GTP is handed to me for inspection where it happily sinks its teeth into my wrist, coils around my arm and can only be persuaded to let go by being doused with water.)

Back