• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first year breeding

Okay, so last night I caught glimpse of Bean digging in the lay box, and this morning I checked and she was buried at the bottom of all the mosses. Perfect.

Now, my question is since it's packed full of moss, I cant really check for eggs without disturbing her, so when should I check? Maybe give it until Saturday? That would be 5 days since pre-lay shed, and 4 days after getting into the lay box.

Good, she's doing the expected. Unless she's a super flighty anti-human sort, it's fine for lift the cover and take a peek. I usually check mine daily until about day 5 post‐shed. I check twice daily after that.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

The fact that she was already in there probably means she likes it!
What she said [emoji16]. Your Bean is doing what she's supposed to be doing. Your job at this point is, "Breathe!" Which is easier said than done, I know. But I have faith that you'll get through it!

There is a phrase that is often applied to growing plants that might apply here. "BENIGN NEGLECT".

Is there really anything you can do at this point to speed along the process? Is there anything you might be doing that is making her nervous about laying her eggs, thereby delaying the process?

There is a phrase that is often applied to growing plants that might apply here. "BENIGN NEGLECT".

Is there really anything you can do at this point to speed along the process? Is there anything you might be doing that is making her nervous about laying her eggs, thereby delaying the process?

I knoooooow I've read that phrase so many times on this forum, and yeah its like leave them alone, dummy, but now that I'm in it, I cant stop thinking about her lmao

The only thing I've done so far today is check for eggs since she was back out of the next box. I don't have much else reason to bother her today. It seems like she goes in the nest box at night, and then leave it in the morning.

Fortunately, she can't read your mind (that we know of) so you're free to think about it all day and all night[emoji1]. As long as you aren't driven to pester her, no harm done. Except maybe, if you're like me with my first gravid female, minor damage to your sleep, your digestion, and your conversational skills. [emoji1787]

Don't mind me bumping this thread again with no real updates x.x at this point using this as my diary lol.

Managed to not open the cage not even once today. But did manage to take this pic, at this point I'm starting to question if she's even gravid. :shrugs:

IMG_4270.jpeg

Lol good job not bugging her today. Does the area near her vent look to you like it normally does? It looks to me like she's very close to depositing an egg.

Or, I guess, like she was about to deposit something else: to defecate.

Lol good job not bugging her today. Does the area near her vent look to you like it normally does? It looks to me like she's very close to depositing an egg.

I think so, and I see some scale spread near the vent. I dont think it's poop, she hasn't eaten since the 2nd, and she's pooped since then...unless she's saved some for later lmao.

She's been in and out of her nest box like 10 times today. I feel like we're entering the restless phase. It's kind of unfortunate because I'm assuming it means she's not 100% satisfied with her nest box, but hopefully it will do and she can lay within the next day or too. Get those eggs out before they get too big.

I got a decent video of her going into the next box today.

https://youtu.be/YPMpgg9ZL6Y

Last edited by a moderator:
She certainly does look stuffed full of eggs. It's hard to tell much from that brief clip, but I can't see any distress other than the usual, "I cannot get comfortable." In my non-corn breeding experience, first time mothers (primiparas) are often more fidgety right before birth than are the more experienced dams. That's much more often true than not with bitches and mares. What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't necessarily take her restlessness as a sign that she'sdispleased with the nest box. She may just be displeased with internal changes. That said, of course if there's room in her viv, you could give her a second nest box. But I'm not seeing or reading anything which causes me to worry for her.

One week after shedding, and nothing yet

IMG_4312.jpeg

She's still in and out of the nest box, but not as much as Sunday

I did a kinda bad and checked on her yesterday but since she was at the bottom, I did remove some of the moss to be able to see, so idk if that stressed her out. But now for realsies, I'm not going to remove the moss until I'm for sure she's laid.

Next season I breed I'm definitely going to get a shorter next box

One week since her pre-egg laying shed is not unusually long. My bet she will lay within 3 days. Can’t wait to read your post announcing egg laying has occurred.
We’ll hand out cigars and pop open some champagne!

Back