• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

BAD snake!!!

texastailfeathers

I finally moved my snakes into their new rack Monday night. There must have been a few gaps I didn't notice, because my tiny '06 RO was MIA all day yesterday. Look where I fnally found him:

Attachments

• 100_1419.jpg
    100_1419.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 100_1420.jpg
    100_1420.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 100_1421.jpg
    100_1421.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 273
Traci1 said:
OH my! I don't see a lump so it doesn't look like he got any of your birdies! did he??

Nope. You can't see it, but on the right side of the cage is a nest of society finches. The four chicks in that nest would have been juuuusst the right size for him. And last night was feeding night! :uhoh: Fortunately, I found him before he found the finch chicks and gave him a couple of pinkies when I put him back in the rack.

I got really lucky. I shoved a few thick pieces of cardboard under his bin, so now there's no way he can get out (I know, famous last words :grin01: ). Things could have gotten ugly if my '04 had been the one in the bird cage... :eek1:

I wonder if he was hunting, or if he just happened by there and didn't know there were birds involved. Cool picks! I love how the one bird is preening in the background- not a care in the world!

Nanci

I dunno. :shrugs: Either way, it's never a good thing to have a snake in a cage full of expensive birds. :rolleyes:

Those two birds in the back are baby bourke parakeets. They couldn't have cared less about the snake. They're hand-raised and newly weaned, so they have no fear of predators.

I hafta admit I think the pics are cool...just don't tell other bird breeders. :grin01:

It was not fun trying to get the snake off the cage either. He kept weaving himself through the bars.

texastailfeathers said:
I got really lucky. I shoved a few thick pieces of cardboard under his bin, so now there's no way he can get out (I know, famous last words
My rack was built to hold Rubbermaid tubs, but a few of the replacements are Sterlite, and they are just a tad shallower. I found that indoor/outdoor carpetting, the grey, shallow loop kind, works perfectly to close the gap. What I like most is the "give" in the carpet; it makes for a more flexible solution than cardboard. The carpet pushes the bins tight against the shelf while still being easy to slide out.

May I ask what rack (if commercially made) did you move them into? What size bin and brand? I have a bunch of 06's that I am going to try and put into sterilite 1756s I think. I havent decided on the company to buy from? Maybe animal plastics, they seem more economical. Thats a scary situation, glad he has been returned to his home safely :)

LindsayMarie said:
May I ask what rack (if commercially made) did you move them into? What size bin and brand? I have a bunch of 06's that I am going to try and put into sterilite 1756s I think. I havent decided on the company to buy from? Maybe animal plastics, they seem more economical. Thats a scary situation, glad he has been returned to his home safely :)

It was a very nice homemade rack that I bought from another member on this forum. I think maybe I didn't close it right or something. He's in there cozy tight now. I made sure of it! :)

Attachments

• snakeRack.jpg
    snakeRack.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 221
Thats a really nice rack system! Hope your little RO decides to stay put this time, sounds like you took good measures to make sure he does :) Goodluck, Lindsay

im looking to start a snake family...right now i have a albino and a snow corn snake....what would be the best things to house the snakes that way i dont have a bunch of big tanks all around my house...and when the snakes be come full grown then were should i put them...are there anything else besides like 30gallon tanks that the snakes would be happy with?

I love the second pic where the birds are looking at one another...

"I'm not going to ask him to leave; you go over there and ask him!"

Back