• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Possible DIY Incubator

airenlow

hope is not a strategy
I found this "cooler" at work yesterday and thought it might make a decent little incubator. It's really stout...about 2" thick and has a tight fitting lid. The Pharmacy uses them for temperature sensitive drugs, so they have to be pretty good. The inside is only about 7x9x6, but I will only have 1 or 2 clutches.

So, what do you guys think? If I add a UTH and thermometers will it make a decent incubator...or should I not even waste my time? I saw somebody (Brent maybe) using a plastic cooler and was thinking of something along those lines. What else would I need to make it work?

DSC_0399.jpg

The only problem I forsee is getting a UTH that's small enough. I'd worry about overheating since it's such a small, well insulated box.

D80

I hadn't thought of that. I'll see what I can come up with. And the water bottles are to keep the temps even???

Edit: Wade beat me to it!

...The only problem I forsee is getting a UTH that's small enough. I'd worry about overheating since it's such a small, well insulated box.
You can cut flexwatt to any size you need. Just don't use a giant piece.

Since it's a styrofoam cooler, use an exacto knife to cut a tiny groove in one location. Run the cord from a sensor through the groove (use electric tape if you want to reduce the size of the groove once the cord is in place) and use a thermostat to regulate the temps.

It doesn't look all that different from the styrofoam box used to make Hovabators, so the principle should be about the same.

Good luck!

I agree, you'd be a little tight for space and as a result you could end up with a hot spot closest to the heat.

My 1st two years I used a 19 qt Rubbermaid, lined it with aluminum foil and put a small UTH on the bottom. Was a good set up for two clutches.

I agree, you'd be a little tight for space and as a result you could end up with a hot spot closest to the heat.

My 1st two years I used a 19 qt Rubbermaid, lined it with aluminum foil and put a small UTH on the bottom. Was a good set up for two clutches.

Thanks for the input...gives me something to think about!

I use a ragbag assortment of ordinary cardboard boxes (I like the ones that contained photocopying/computer paper as they have good lids), insulated with whatever comes to hand - tinfoil, bubblewrap, layers of old towels, newspapers - using old breadboards as a solid base and held together with yards of gaffa tape. Add a UTH & stat and you're away.

They don't look pretty, but they've been doing the job for years and the biggest cost were the heater and stats. Plus if you're canny and make identical setups, you can run several of these from one stat.

I've been using this same cooler for 3 years now and I've never had any problems with it. I use a submercible tanks heater to heat the water under the tubes. Since the water is heated evenly I only get about 3 degrees of temp diffrence from left to right and top to bottom. Hope this helps you out.

Rick

DSC03471.jpg

Hmm...I might just have to "invest" in a real cooler. Maybe I'll pick one up at work when they go on clearance for like $15. After all, I am the one who gets to mark that stuff down. :cool:

I also have a mini refrigerator leftover from my college party days...maybe I can make that work???

I was just at Menard's today, and the 100 gallon Coleman cooler that I'm currently using was $69. Good investment if you're planning more breeding in the future.

D80

I also have a mini refrigerator leftover from my college party days...maybe I can make that work???

Yeah, that little styrofoam tub wouldn't be very good. But a converted mini fridge would work pretty well. Lots of people have converted those. Get some flexwatt, a good t-stat, thermometer and you're all set!

Just saw this post, oh well.

I rented a truck for work today from a company I deal with weekly and the lady behind the counter asks me if I want this old mini refrigerator they're trying to get rid of, so I take it thinking you could convert it.

Let me know if you want it, it's the mini cube. Could probably handle 5 to 6 clutchs.

Back