• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A day at the stables

Thanks! Taking photos from horseback may not be possible at my stage though, especially as one of the fields we'll go past has now got a flock of Merlin's worst fears in it...............SHEEP! He's terrified of them and tries to run away, so if we do hack out it'll be interesting!

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:
What a brilliant day! First off, sadly, Dutchess is being rested from riding on the vet's orders, because she's strained her back whilst turned out in the field. This meant no hacking out, so instead Kim decided we'd clip Merlin because he's sweating up under his rugs. The white overalls were supposed to keep the hair out of our clothes. After we'd clipped him, it was time for my lesson.
First off, trotting in circles, changing rein, sitting trot, then we CANTERED!
It was brilliant. Kim had been worried Merlin might tank off with me, but he behaved beautifully. He was collected and balanced, we did circuits of the school, changes of rein, circles, transitions down to trot and back up to canter and Merlin stayed steady and sensible the whole time. Big hugs for Merlin!

Attachments

• 14a.JPG
    14a.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 35a.JPG
    35a.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 36a.JPG
    36a.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 69
J9, you're so sexy when you talk horse. All I know is giddy up and stop.
haha! I'm having to learn all the correct terms, so I have to do my homework in between lessons. When Kim tells me to 'go large' or 'transition to trot and start serpentines' I have to know what the heck she means, so I've got a book explaining it all as well as finding some websites that are clearing up the mystery for me!
Kim's taking an exam for her next level instructing certificate, so suddenly my right and left legs and reins have become 'inside' and 'outside', which varies with the direction I'm travelling in. Part of Kim's exam will involve her teaching a stranger in a mock lesson, so she can't keep shouting 'go left' now!

Lurker Devon here. Is Merlin one of those Gypsy horses everyone on this side of the big pond is ga-ga over????

I LOVE the colorful horses. I've worked around enough brown and black racehorses. Give me something splashy to look at!

Devon

Hey Devon! Merlin is a traditional cob. I think you might be referring to the so-called 'vanners', which are more like my other friend's cob, Joey. Vanners are shorted coupled and the ones in fashion now have huge feathers with as long a mane and tail as possible.
Merlin isn't flashy in his action, he's a steady plodder most of the time, typical of a traditional farmer's cob. Joey has a much squarer frame and extravagant leg action, he'd be used for 'flashing', at meetings such as Appleby Fair, where the horses are raced on the roads, either trotting in-hand or ridden or pulling light gigs. The aim is for the horse or pony being flashed to look as impressive as possible, with the high gait and flying feathers.
Here's Joey

Attachments

• 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 62
Very pretty! Its so GREEN where you are! Sigh! Our winters are brown. My paddock is a hog's wallow right now because of all the rain and sleet we've been getting. My dream is to have a barn with a totally enclosed wash bay area with hot AND cold water so that I can make a dent in the permanent coat of mud my guys get in the winter. That or a shop vac. 'Course that means I'm gonna get some looks from the boys the first time I go to vacuum them! ( I have a friend with a Haflinger mare with gorgeous long locks that she can't vacuum because the mare think the hose is a snake and she will attack it! ) I don't think my boys have ever been exposed to that with their former Amish owners. Might need more than a pound of ginger snaps to get through that!

There is a gypsy cob stallion that shows up at the local Horse Expo in the winter. He's a snowflake appy color. He's beautiful and sweet as a puppy dog! Loves his head hugged by strangers. Now how many other breed stallions will tolerate that?

I never thought that on a forum about snakes, I'd be talking horses! Go figure!

Devon

Oh there's a lot of mud here too! Luckily the soil here is chalk over clay so it mostly drains well in between the wet weather. Here are some of the mares who are in foal, all fat and happy in the mud.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 11a.JPG
    11a.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 12a.JPG
    12a.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 56
And so they don't feel left out, the yard dogs who live at the stables. Both rescues and after a year they are happy, healthy outdoor dogs.
Millie the dobermann has some joint problems due to her former life, she's had major surgery on her knees to but there is permanent damage because she'd had no vet care. Timmy the rotweillor has a twisted jaw due to it having been broken and never set by a vet.

Attachments

• 31a.JPG
    31a.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 22a.JPG
    22a.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 56
Those puppies are adorable! I love Dobies!

Oh BTW... HUGE HUGE HUGE congrats on the canter! I'm do glad to hear he didn't start crow-hopping with you and behaved. Yeah!

I should look into those overalls. Whenever I clip, I try to use the wind to my advantage, which always backfires lol.

Thanks for the update Janine!

The overalls didn't work at all! They were the disposable paper-type ones and I still had horse-hair in my undies last night!

There is a gypsy cob stallion that shows up at the local Horse Expo in the winter. He's a snowflake appy color. He's beautiful and sweet as a puppy dog! Loves his head hugged by strangers. Now how many other breed stallions will tolerate that?

I never thought that on a forum about snakes, I'd be talking horses! Go figure!

Devon

Actually, I've known Morgans that tolerate it and every Arab stallion that I've met with the exception of one loved to be smooched on. *Asadd was an ex-racehorse exported from Egypt and he liked to play with stallcleaners... except they tended to end up in the ER room when he played. Needless to say they wouldn't go in his stall when he was there. I understood that he preferred a straight business relationship and we got along great. I have a friend in northern Indiana that have taken both her stallions into Petsmart to have their pictures taken with Santa. They are such good boys :)

Out of the two stallions, Corsario is not exactly nasty, but he does want to mouth and bite all the time. He's actually playful but too strong, he's picked his owner up by the shoulder and threw him across the stable. I don't go in his box unless he's tied up. When I go to greet him, I stand out of bite reach and wait for him to put his head for petting. If he tries to bite I walk away and ignore him. Gradually he's getting the idea that I'll scratch his itches only when he behaves nicely.
Rudi the younger stallion is as gentle as a gelding. He loves to be petted and groomed. He lived out with a companion before and this is his first year of being boxed, so although I've been in a field with him, led him out and groomed him, his owner won't risk me going in his box in case he changes as he gets older. He cuddles his face under my arm when I greet him and loves having his ears fiddled with!

Out of the two stallions, Corsario is not exactly nasty, but he does want to mouth and bite all the time. He's actually playful but too strong, he's picked his owner up by the shoulder and threw him across the stable. I don't go in his box unless he's tied up. When I go to greet him, I stand out of bite reach and wait for him to put his head for petting. If he tries to bite I walk away and ignore him. Gradually he's getting the idea that I'll scratch his itches only when he behaves nicely.
Rudi the younger stallion is as gentle as a gelding. He loves to be petted and groomed. He lived out with a companion before and this is his first year of being boxed, so although I've been in a field with him, led him out and groomed him, his owner won't risk me going in his box in case he changes as he gets older. He cuddles his face under my arm when I greet him and loves having his ears fiddled with!

The first one and I would tangle... I'm spoiled with the Arabians, esp. since they were show stallions. They were expected to behave as geldings, no matter how many mares in heat were around them. They were taught there was a time and place for that kind of stuff and any other time it was unaccepted.

Georgia's stallions are 9 and 10 and they spend time out together. Interestingly enough, the two stallions get along great... the stallions get along great with her older gelding... but she can't turn all three out together.. the gelding beats up on the younger stallion. I love stallions. They have such huge personalities. Not that mares & geldings don't have great personalities, but something about stallions even well-behaved ones tend to be larger than life... must be the testerone :) Not sure why that doesn't translate to humans :D ............ducking............

The only stallion I knew before was a tb hunter who was perfectly behaved unless in his box, I can remember picking his feet out and having riding lessons on him at the age of about 8, but only my aunt (his groom) and his owner were safe to go in his box because he was so territorial.
Corsario was puzzled at first when I started my campaign, apparently all the biting started after he went away for a year to be backed, before that he was sweet-natured. We think he must of been hit a lot while he was there for normal mouthing behaviour, because he tries to get a lightning-fast bite then move away. Waiting until he softens his eye and puts his head down has taken about 4 months to really take effect on him. Yesterday he was gently mouthing my open hand without trying to bite at all which felt like a real step forwards.
I've never shouted at or threatened him in any way so he should get the mesage in the end.
Needless to say, Rudi is not going away to be backed, nor will any of the other horses.

The only stallion I knew before was a tb hunter who was perfectly behaved unless in his box, I can remember picking his feet out and having riding lessons on him at the age of about 8, but only my aunt (his groom) and his owner were safe to go in his box because he was so territorial.
Corsario was puzzled at first when I started my campaign, apparently all the biting started after he went away for a year to be backed, before that he was sweet-natured. We think he must of been hit a lot while he was there for normal mouthing behaviour, because he tries to get a lightning-fast bite then move away. Waiting until he softens his eye and puts his head down has taken about 4 months to really take effect on him. Yesterday he was gently mouthing my open hand without trying to bite at all which felt like a real step forwards.
I've never shouted at or threatened him in any way so he should get the mesage in the end.
Needless to say, Rudi is not going away to be backed, nor will any of the other horses.

Yup, biting can become a major game with stallions... one they normally win
:( So many folks don't understand stallions and when intimidated by them are quick to strike :(

I've never had stallions that were territorial about their stalls.. it simply wasn't allowed. Of course, my experience has been with Arabs who are handled daily from their first hours on earth. They tend to be pocket ponies :) Just got to keep their minds occupied and out of trouble.

Sounds like you are making awesome progress with Corsario. It's really hard to rehab a biter. I've only had one.. his nickname was All Jaws, which was a take on his name of Azjaa. You just needed to be aware of where that mouth was all the time. I remember his show groom was grabbed three times on the day he was put on my string since he was getting a break from the showring. He never actually bit me, but then I made sure to know where that end was every minute I was around here.

Thanks for that Ginger, I thought I would try what seems to me a logical approach. I don't want to get in a fight with Corsario, and he acts so lonely with his head over his door or through his fence. The trouble being he only seemed to understand the 'bite and run' game. He's only just 5, so hopefully can unlearn the game and then have more positive interaction. I don't think his actions are out of spite, he doesn't barge or strike out, or turn to kick, I think he's bored.

Thanks for that Ginger, I thought I would try what seems to me a logical approach. I don't want to get in a fight with Corsario, and he acts so lonely with his head over his door or through his fence. The trouble being he only seemed to understand the 'bite and run' game. He's only just 5, so hopefully can unlearn the game and then have more positive interaction. I don't think his actions are out of spite, he doesn't barge or strike out, or turn to kick, I think he's bored.

Ahhh definitely a game then... he's still just a baby. If you were another horse, you would understand the bite & fun game... geldings will do it to out in the pasture. I believe the one who wins is the one who bits and doesn't move their feet. A dominance game :) Sounds like he's an excellent case for rehab :)

What sweet dogs! Love that tongue! I used to work as an assistant dog groomer so I saw many breeds. I hate that Rottis and Dobies have such bad reputations. All the ones I have known have been big, goofy, sweethearts. I saw a lot of really nice pit bulls as well. Usually the only ones we had to be careful of were the ones with the really strange owners. Hmmmm. Coincidence???

I wish I could inflict you guys with all my pics but I have dial-up and no Adobe Photoshop. I've got tons of pics of the horses. As many as new parents have of their children! I was going to make calendars of my guys for all my relatives but working part-time, 2 days a week, 2 hours a day makes one extremely frugal with cash. Thank God I've got my hubby to sponge off of but I don't enjoy relying on him so much. I'm hoping to end that situation as soon as possible.

I guess the horses are going to have to do without carrot cake this X-Mas.

Devon

On the topic of stallions, I spent many years as a groom and have seen all kinds of stallions. I have an extremely soft spot for Arabians and have worked around some very well behaved studs. I never expected to own one someday! We decided to leave our Haflinger, Alex, a stud and see how things went. If he ever got out of hand--well that could be altered. Wink! Wink! But Alex has always behaved himself and acted a perfect gentleman. He NEVER bites! ( I don't want to know what the Amish did to teach him THAT! ) And if you raise your voice at him, he gets frightened! One evening, at feeding time, I was hollering at our younger gelding who had destroyed the snap on his bucket for the umpteenth time and Alex left his grain and stood shivering in the corner of his stall! I had to go in and coo over him a bit and reassure him that I wasn't mad at him. I still try to give him the respect a stallion deserves but he keeps on surprising us at how well behaved he is. The kicker is that I've known the fastest racehorse studs who will eat you alive if you look at them the wrong way and people are yammering for their kids, but Alex who is so well behaved has only one or two breedings a year! What gives?!

Devon

Back