• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

breeding mice

Great looking pics,

I have no experience with Corn Snakes, do have a lot with the Black Rat Snake, had some dandys I got in the wild, bought one, am looking at the Corn Snakes now and the Eastern Kings, still on the fence, would like a young pair to grow out once i decide which.

Keep the good pics coming,

Great looking pics,

I have no experience with Corn Snakes, do have a lot with the Black Rat Snake, had some dandys I got in the wild, bought one, am looking at the Corn Snakes now and the Eastern Kings, still on the fence, would like a young pair to grow out once i decide which.

Keep the good pics coming,

Corn snakes are like Rat snakes in almost everyway. Only most Rat snakes tend to be a bit more nervous, but there are exceptions to every rule. I personally love the kings best. Here are some fresh mouse pics to stay on topic.

P1050269.jpg

P1050267.jpg

P1050289.jpg

P1050279-1.jpg

Sorry double post, didn't see there was another page.

Corn snakes are like Rat snakes in almost everyway.

Corn snakes are called red rat snakes by some people, they are related so it's no surprise that they are very similar.

Thank you Atmox and Jake! Jake if I remember correctly I started out with all white mice, but they must have had some of these strains in their bloodline already. As an interesting one one pop out I would keep it as a breeder cause I found them too pretty to feed off. Today they are all pretty, and it's a shame really that I have to feed them all to my snakes. If anyone lives near Central Florida I would be glad to swap fancy mice for plain white mice.

Good morning Jorge

I have been thinking of much the same with some from Petsmart, I have seen some nice ones there, if, I do get a pair of snakes, either corn or the bigger black ones then will need to get some colonys started, I like both species, they get very comfortable with our body heat very young and are quite content to curl up with us, unlike others I have seen, that said I have only handled corn snakes in pet shops, the big black 'king' rat snakes though in the wild, extremely docile I thought, kept several I got that way for 2-3 years each, rehomed one because a lady didnt like them and one for a move, wish I had both yet.

So its a matter of deciding which, I lean towards the corn, just because of the colors possible, and slightly smaller size . I think each would be content in a 29H aquarium.

Looking forward to seeing more photos of your snakes and the mice.

Jake
Lauzerne, MI
We are all in this together

Yeah, Corns are a great choice, now you have to decide which of the thousands of Corns you want, lol.

Corn snakes are like Rat snakes in almost everyway. Only most Rat snakes tend to be a bit more nervous, but there are exceptions to every rule. I personally love the kings best. Here are some fresh mouse pics to stay on topic.

P1050269.jpg

P1050267.jpg

P1050289.jpg

P1050279-1.jpg

Those are absolutely adorable@@@ Wish I had those colors in mine!

I have much to learn about the corn color genetics, I am leaning towards the reds, do like the snows, plenty of time to think about them too cold to mail them, so unless I went by petsmart or some such it will be spring, time to research them, would like to get a pair to breed.

Need to get a couple colonys of mice going if I do get them in the spring.

I have much to learn about the corn color genetics, I am leaning towards the reds, do like the snows, plenty of time to think about them too cold to mail them, so unless I went by petsmart or some such it will be spring, time to research them, would like to get a pair to breed.

Need to get a couple colonys of mice going if I do get them in the spring.

That would be the best thing to do. Take your time and research as much as you can. If you were gonna breed them down the line, you should really get them from a breeder who can tell you what exactly you are buying. I've seen so many people buy from the large pet chains, and then post pictures asking what is it? Those guys don't really know what they have, and will put whatever label the guy working there thinks it is. Sometimes they just label it fancy Corn.

Those are absolutely adorable@@@ Wish I had those colors in mine!

Thank you! Here are a couple more that I had to take without a flash. Especially the cream one cause it looked all washed out with a flash. I really like that male with the white head too. I was trying to make a bunch with black bodies and white heads but it's not going so well, lol.

P1050351.jpg

P1050339.jpg

P1050372.jpg

P1050325.jpg

corns & mice

Hi Jorge

You are right and hoping to meet some breeders here, I amNOT wanting to become a breeder per se, just a hobbyist who would like to breed an occasional clutch for the fun of it, so much learning to do, the King Snakes are neat too, wont rule them out, they are my first love, but the corn is better for my house with some house bunnies running around.

I will get a couple colonys of mice started, and go from there, I have a couple 29gallon aquariums I will use for one each, lots of cozy places, and a heater for each. So keep the good info flowing , its all to receptive ears.

I want to breed mice bad. I only have 2 snakes for now but plan on getting 2 more next year. My pet store charges like 1.50+tax a piece for pinkies so im not sure what the adults will cost. I think it would b a lot cheaper to breed my own but my mom says no because the smell. Amazing mice Snakehead. I love the one with the black/white head! I would keep it as a pet/breeder.

I want to breed mice bad. I only have 2 snakes for now but plan on getting 2 more next year. My pet store charges like 1.50+tax a piece for pinkies so im not sure what the adults will cost. I think it would b a lot cheaper to breed my own but my mom says no because the smell. Amazing mice Snakehead. I love the one with the black/white head! I would keep it as a pet/breeder.

african soft fur rats are said to have little to no smell to them.

yes but you need to check if they are legal to own where you are. I can not own them here. Dwarf Hammies are lower odored too.

As carn said check to make sure they are legal and they do have a smell just not as strong as mice and rats. Don't take the plunge without the research. ASF can be very aggressive. Mine rather take my finger off than be picked up. I only use asf for trouble feeders. The rest of the year, after breeding season, I go down to 1 colony.

As carn said check to make sure they are legal and they do have a smell just not as strong as mice and rats. Don't take the plunge without the research. ASF can be very aggressive. Mine rather take my finger off than be picked up. I only use asf for trouble feeders. The rest of the year, after breeding season, I go down to 1 colony.

i know they're aggressive so i was thinking welding gloves or something like that..

Ah, I had gotten some at a pet shop then was researching them and had stumbled across my state laws on a website and they were listed as illegal so I got rid of them to folks in KS where to the best of my knowledge they are legale to own.

Back